• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB Spidey newspaper strip from early in the run

9 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, glenbru said:

You should contact Mike Burkey. He owns more than half of the newspaper strips from the first 3 years and I'm sure he'd sell you one.

Yeah, I love dealing with Mike.... I was just considering that a last resort because it's different than when he's got his private collection pieces up on his site and I've asked (and bought) from that before.  Here I'd be asking him to go and find things and show them to me...when I know he's got hundreds of pages.  Feels like a big ask.  But you're 100 percent right that that's how this is going to end.  I just thought maybe I'd find someone who had one in their collection they were willing to part with and that would be much easier.

But I don't think I'll be that lucky! :)

18 minutes ago, fmaz said:

Yeah, I love dealing with Mike.... I was just considering that a last resort because it's different than when he's got his private collection pieces up on his site and I've asked (and bought) from that before.  Here I'd be asking him to go and find things and show them to me...when I know he's got hundreds of pages.  Feels like a big ask.  But you're 100 percent right that that's how this is going to end.  I just thought maybe I'd find someone who had one in their collection they were willing to part with and that would be much easier.

But I don't think I'll be that lucky! :)

It would be easy of you picked out a few strips that might work and then went to Mike and asked if he owned them.  That makes it easy for Mike to just check his collection. Then he'll give you a price when you select the one you want. Probably faster then asking around elsewhere. Just my take.

On 6/8/2019 at 6:03 PM, glenbru said:

It would be easy of you picked out a few strips that might work and then went to Mike and asked if he owned them.  That makes it easy for Mike to just check his collection. Then he'll give you a price when you select the one you want. Probably faster then asking around elsewhere. Just my take.

Yup I picked up a few of the collections for kindle and shot him a list, per his request.  For those who have never dealt with Mike before he’s fantastic to deal with. This was just something that I thought might be more of a bother for him than anything thing else, so I was hoping to NOT go down that path if possible if all... but it wasn’t. LOL

If/when I settle on a strip with Mike, I’ll be sure to share here!

I posted this in the "this week in my OA collection" thread, but I remembered that I said I'd post it here when I got something, so I figured some people might not look at that and be curious...

So here's what I ended up buying from Mike.  It arrived yesterday, and I'm dropping it off at the framer this morning!  I'm really happy with it!

SpiderManStrip042280.thumb.jpg.9fac011f8662c9a3b7748bf2e8c5238e.jpg

12 hours ago, Hal Turner said:

What a nice daily! Pretty girl, big name bad guy, Peter and Spidey... all in three panels.  With Lee and Romita in the signature box, too. Sweet!

Thanks! Yeah, it hit a lot of my checklist for a strip... especially since I wanted to buy one and and probably make it the “one and only” of my collection, you know?  I kind of wanted a “quintessential” Romita strip.  That’s a lot of pressure on three panels.  LOL