• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An Interesting Look at Overstreet's First Comic Book Price Guide
2 2

108 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Or even better, someone posts an old newsstand photo with a kid standing in front of it. How many of you have ever fantasied you were that kid with only one dime? Which one would you buy? I’m sure all of us faced that delimma more than once in real life as a kid...:roflmao:

OK, how about a test? You got a shiny Mercury dime... What do you pick and how long does it take you?

comicrackearly 40's.jpg

It would be the Adventure or the Action and after agonizing I’d go with the Action and then try to figure out how to get another dime!

On 6/8/2019 at 12:00 PM, Marty Mann said:

Number 6 was my first copy...remember winning it at a Comic Con...still in good shape.

IMG  PRICE GUIDE  (200 dpi).jpg

My first one too.

Creeped me out though seeing the Theo ad.

0A402381-3152-4C9A-A56A-0F4638D091C0.jpeg.cc4a10beee93c0cb3cf48642fe893a28.jpeg

Probably why I ordered from the American Comic Book Company after seeing Theo’s ad. I preferred the “radical want list system” to a guy posing in his...:eyeroll:

40 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Or even better, someone posts an old newsstand photo with a kid standing in front of it. How many of you have ever fantasied you were that kid with only one dime? Which one would you buy? I’m sure all of us faced that delimma more than once in real life as a kid...:roflmao:

OK, how about a test? You got a shiny Mercury dime... What do you pick and how long does it take you?

comicrackearly 40's.jpg

As a kid, the Action or the Top Notch. 

33 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

It would be the Adventure or the Action and after agonizing I’d go with the Action and then try to figure out how to get another dime!

But then you got that cool Detective #33 or maybe Mystery Men?  Then there are all those cool Centaurs... Choices, choices...hm

The ‘76 Spirit Overstreet was my first when I was 9 and it turned me into a comic collector. I read with zeal every year and dreamt I was the Scrooge McDuck of comic books. Between  ha archives, Gpa and eBay sold data I don’t think I’ve bought an Overstreet in 15 years. Incidentally I think I’ve got 7 of the books in the newsstand pic and would have bought with my dime that fantastic red Superman 2 cover for sure. 

5 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

If I’m being honest, kid me would probably have chosen the Wonderworld.

+1

Knowing absolutely nothing about the future value of comics and going strictly by the cover image, I probably would have also gone with the Wonderworld 7.  :luhv:

Gotta see the picture in full color in order to make an accurate assessmment.  hm

I believe the aliens and the bright colors on Wonderworld 7 would trump the other more bland covers for me.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

My first one too.

Creeped me out though seeing the Theo ad.

0A402381-3152-4C9A-A56A-0F4638D091C0.jpeg.cc4a10beee93c0cb3cf48642fe893a28.jpeg

Probably why I ordered from the American Comic Book Company after seeing Theo’s ad. I preferred the “radical want list system” to a guy posing in his...:eyeroll:

Just seeing Theo's ad takes me back to that great, great time.

(As ridiculous as it was)

12 hours ago, circumstances said:

Just seeing Theo's ad takes me back to that great, great time.

(As ridiculous as it was)

Good, fine, mint

tape is not a defect

Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman

Marvel and DC Slurpee cups at 7-11

3 networks (ABC, CBS, NBC) plus PBS

Power Records

Hot Wheels

Aurora model kits

Big Jim

Mego dolls (figures)

1970’s rock, disco, r&b

Hang Ten t-shirts

Etc, etc, etc..,

Edited by N e r V

FYI, I wasn’t collecting in 1970 but s number of family and friends of mine were and the plan to set prices with a standard price guide was not universally popular in fandom at the time. There were also a number of other guides trying to compete with Overstreet into the 1970’s. Then there’s some accusations of Bob “controlling” certain books values for his own nefarious reasons over the years, etc, etc

25 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I think this is the correct ACBC ad from the 1976 guide I remember.

2FC175D7-CEAD-468F-AC68-5EFEC015CE21.jpeg.e6caf3f52d22bc9482691a1bb9f7c46b.jpeg

Definitely a blast from the past as I used to remember their always cute cartoony ads in the Overstreet guide and dreamed that one day I would eventually get down to California and be swamped with all of the wondrous old comic books of yesteryear.  :cloud9:

Alas, it was not to be as I believed they were either no longer in business by the time I eventually got down there or I might have out grown them by then.  :frown:

45 minutes ago, telerites said:

This is mine

59d50f01b2b2cfd8516a70bc125a01bd.jpg

My local library had old OSPGs, including this one.  It blew me away at the time.  Having it sit next to the Porky Pig one is a pretty stark contrast. 

1 hour ago, buttock said:

My local library had old OSPGs, including this one.  It blew me away at the time.  Having it sit next to the Porky Pig one is a pretty stark contrast. 

1 hour ago, telerites said:

This is mine

59d50f01b2b2cfd8516a70bc125a01bd.jpg

That was a big one for LB Cole. Prior to this guide LB Cole flew mostly under the radar until Overstreet helped introduce him to the collecting market with his own guide.

In 1981 I had been aware of LB Cole for some time thanks to having seen a lot of it with other collections but the big news for me in 1981 was that I could now get art commissions from him. Great issue even today to own.