• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An Interesting Look at Overstreet's First Comic Book Price Guide
2 2

108 posts in this topic

1984 with Katy Keene was my first. I was 11 and my mom bought me a comic collectors kit from the sears Christmas catalog. It had a comic box, about 30 random comics, bags and boards and the overstreet.

the impact of the pictured comics was so strong that they are often books I am still looking for, just from having them burned into my brain as I devoured that book.

16 hours ago, bc said:

But you cut off the excellent Conan books on top :)

At least we can see the slinky!

44 minutes ago, shiverbones said:

sears Christmas catalog

Something good from the past that no longer exists. :frown:

45 minutes ago, shiverbones said:

a comic collectors kit

Interesting that comics was a big enough field for them to do that.  Department stores used to have coin and stamp kits back in the 70s.

I agree, looking back now it seems like a pretty unusual offering. The box was specially made for the offer as well, it had black white and red generic comic characters printed on it.

i have only met one other person who had the same kit as a child.

i really miss pouring over those catalogs!

26 minutes ago, shiverbones said:

I agree, looking back now it seems like a pretty unusual offering. The box was specially made for the offer as well, it had black white and red generic comic characters printed on it.

i have only met one other person who had the same kit as a child.

i really miss pouring over those catalogs!

My parents got me something similar, but it was just 25 comics in a box.  That was for a summer road trip.