• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My results of a large CGC/CCS submission
3 3

109 posts in this topic

On 6/8/2019 at 1:25 PM, buttock said:

6.5 (James Payette)

This is the most surprising to me.  I don’t press a ton of books but I’m batting 1000 on Payette books. Three Payette 4.5s now sitting in CGC 7.0-7.5 slabs.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Glad to hear that you did quite well with your books and that you are happey with the Heritage results.  :applause:

Just a question here seems I tend to hear all sorts of differents answers depending upon who the consignor is.  Are the consignments fees as based upon your experience here, really dependent upon both the dollar value of your books plus how well your negotiation skills are?  Especially since I have heard that the range is rather quite wide here.  hm

I think it varies on a number of factors.  I would imagine that it's also a function of what they have coming up in consignments.  I had a pretty strong list, IMO, so I simply asked for a fair cut. 

18 minutes ago, szav said:

This is the most surprising to me.  I don’t press a ton of books but I’m batting 1000 on Payette books. Three Payette 4.5s now sitting in CGC 7.0-7.5 slabs.

I have the worst luck in the world with him.  I know everyone rants about his grading, I'm probably under 50% with him.  

1 hour ago, buttock said:

I have the worst luck in the world with him.  I know everyone rants about his grading, I'm probably under 50% with him.  

I certainly don't want to disparage any dealer, but this mirrors my experience.

16 hours ago, buttock said:

Anything in the first list that was restored remained restored.  Good question, I didn't make that clear.  In the CCS list, some books had restoration removed, mainly tiny color touches or glued tear seals opened.  

I noted the same observation.  It seems like a lot of people grade books based off of the potential grade, assuming you can press defects out.  This hasn't bothered me in the past, but going forward I'm going to keep in mind that damage can occur.  I had great luck with eBay for 15 years, but it's died down as a viable source. 

Dan!  Has eBay died down as a viable source because you don't find many books there or because the competition is too heated?  Just curious because I still acquire a lot of books there.

Cool thread, by the way. Looking forward to more details when you summarize everything...

8 hours ago, mlansdown said:

Dan!  Has eBay died down as a viable source because you don't find many books there or because the competition is too heated?  Just curious because I still acquire a lot of books there.

Cool thread, by the way. Looking forward to more details when you summarize everything...

Good question Mark.  I've been buying on eBay for 20 years, so I've seen a lot of changes and maybe I'm just old and grumpy.  I think eBay ran off a bunch of collectors with all of their new rules and fees, so the buying pool is smaller and of lesser quality.  There are also so many more flippers that there is more competition.  That means prices are higher, which makes me less willing to take the risk to buy uncertified.  Also, my tastes have changed, so the type of book I tend to want is going to be in different venues.  Lastly, I have less free time to browse so it's hard to sift through all the junk.  

I think eBay ran off a bunch of collectors with all of their new rules and fees, so the buying pool is smaller and of lesser quality.  There are also so many more flippers that there is more competition.  

eBay in 2011 compared to eBay today is like night and day. I vividly remember sitting at work on a random weekday and watching my feed refresh with new stuff every 10 seconds. Now? Forget it. eBay attracts a fraction of a fraction of what it once did. 

51 minutes ago, october said:

eBay in 2011 compared to eBay today is like night and day. 

With respect to the so-called comic book "auctions", is it not overwhelmingly all done in the BIN format now as opposed to the true traditional auction format?  

Certainly discourages anybody from wasting their time to even look, let alone participate and think about throwing in a bid.  hm

18 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

With respect to the so-called comic book "auctions", is it not overwhelmingly all done in the BIN format now as opposed to the true traditional auction format?  

Certainly discourages anybody from wasting their time to even look, let alone participate and think about throwing in a bid.  hm

I have bought a few books off of Ebay recently, some via auction and some via BIN. Here's what I have learned:

1) If a seller has a BIN book, always start by contacting him/her with an offer of 15% - 20% below his/her asking price. If the book has been for sale for quite some time, I start with a 20% below offer. Do I ever get the book sold to me at my offer? No, but I usually end up with a 10% discount. YMMV, of course.

2) If you are bidding in a traditional auction, just put in your bid the absolute maximum you're willing to pay, then set it and forget it. The worst thing you can do (IMHO) is to watch the book as the timer counts down. You can get caught up in the bidding frenzy and end up paying much more than you had originally planned. Most of the auctions I have participated in have an ending time of 10:00 PM Eastern, or 9:00 PM my time. I usually start getting ready for bed around 8:30 PM (I get up at 5:00 AM), so I consciously make myself wait to check out the results the next morning. If I have won the book, then great. If I didn't win the book, I'm OK with that as it sold for a price I was not willing to pay.

Joe

1 hour ago, october said:

eBay in 2011 compared to eBay today is like night and day. I vividly remember sitting at work on a random weekday and watching my feed refresh with new stuff every 10 seconds. Now? Forget it. eBay attracts a fraction of a fraction of what it once did. 

My favorite time was when auctions were the default listing and you had to click to another section to go after BINs.  I found so many great books stashed away in the BIN section because people were too lazy to go looking in there. now the BINs that are mixed in with the auctions are all priced at 10 times what they should be.

20 minutes ago, buttock said:

I found out that another of my CCS books had the staple popped, which explains the drop in grade.  

I've only sent 1 book to CCS and they damaged it.  Not risking anymore books with them.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Huge different in both auctions and BIN's. The books just don't show up nearly as frequently, regardless of buying format. 

I found out that another of my CCS books had the staple popped, which explains the drop in grade.  

I have pressed hundreds and hundreds of my own books. Do you know how many times I have popped a staple? Zero. Zero times. 

I had CCS press about a dozen books once. The didn't pop any staples, but they did somehow tear THE ENTIRE COVER off of my VF/NM FF 52 and then lie about it. 

Such a stellar service. 

13 minutes ago, october said:

I have pressed hundreds and hundreds of my own books. Do you know how many times I have popped a staple? Zero. Zero times. 

I had CCS press about a dozen books once. The didn't pop any staples, but they did somehow tear THE ENTIRE COVER off of my VF/NM FF 52 and then lie about it. 

Such a stellar service. 

Are you kiddin me? Have can that happen ...?

3 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Are you kiddin me? Have can that happen ...?

Great question. After several conversations/threats I was credited the value of the book towards future services. They tried to claim the spine was tanned. It was not. 100% negligence. 

19 minutes ago, october said:

You mean less than One times?

11 minutes ago, october said:

Great question. After several conversations/threats I was credited the value of the book towards future services. They tried to claim the spine was tanned. It was not. 100% negligence. 

Oh, the book was also sent back to me unencapsulated, without explanation. Just showed up in a bag and board with the rest of my slabbed submission. No note, explanation or apology. :golfclap:

1 hour ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I have bought a few books off of Ebay recently, some via auction and some via BIN. Here's what I have learned:

1) If a seller has a BIN book, always start by contacting him/her with an offer of 15% - 20% below his/her asking price. If the book has been for sale for quite some time, I start with a 20% below offer. Do I ever get the book sold to me at my offer? No, but I usually end up with a 10% discount. YMMV, of course.

2) If you are bidding in a traditional auction, just put in your bid the absolute maximum you're willing to pay, then set it and forget it. The worst thing you can do (IMHO) is to watch the book as the timer counts down. You can get caught up in the bidding frenzy and end up paying much more than you had originally planned. Most of the auctions I have participated in have an ending time of 10:00 PM Eastern, or 9:00 PM my time. I usually start getting ready for bed around 8:30 PM (I get up at 5:00 AM), so I consciously make myself wait to check out the results the next morning. If I have won the book, then great. If I didn't win the book, I'm OK with that as it sold for a price I was not willing to pay.

Joe

Oh Ya been there and done that (tsk) And to I think I am a pro.:whatthe: