• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My results of a large CGC/CCS submission
3 3

109 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Be warned, the way this thread is going, all of your guys are either going to be sent to the penalty box to spend some time comtemplating what you are saying here.  hm

Well, probably not that bad, but will most likely be given a courtesy warning based upon your negative comments to date.  (tsk)

If sack isn't extra I take back my comment!

39 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Be warned, the way this thread is going, all of your guys are either going to be sent to the penalty box to spend some time comtemplating what you are saying here.  hm

Well, probably not that bad, but will most likely be given a courtesy warning based upon your negative comments to date.  (tsk)

giphy.gif

Y'all are giving me anxiety... Been meaning to start diverting what little pressing I do to Joey for quite a while, but for some reason I just keep using CCS. Not exactly sure why...it wouldn't be much harder (two outbound shipments vs one). Extreme laziness is my only excuse...

3 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

They might as well have included a picture of one of the graders rubbing his sack across the cover. 

When that happens on ebay I usually leave a neutral. (shrug)

4 minutes ago, Point Five said:

When that happens on ebay I usually leave a neutral. (shrug)

Reminds me of an old web comic I saw years and years ago.  Basically the buyer opened a box and there was a bobcat in it that attacked him.  He left neutral feedback, but stated "would not buy again."

"Comic received in condition as stated, but buyer included a disturbing Polaroid.  Would not buy again."

12 hours ago, buttock said:

Good question Mark.  I've been buying on eBay for 20 years, so I've seen a lot of changes and maybe I'm just old and grumpy.  I think eBay ran off a bunch of collectors with all of their new rules and fees, so the buying pool is smaller and of lesser quality.  There are also so many more flippers that there is more competition.  That means prices are higher, which makes me less willing to take the risk to buy uncertified.  Also, my tastes have changed, so the type of book I tend to want is going to be in different venues.  Lastly, I have less free time to browse so it's hard to sift through all the junk.  

Makes sense.  I've been on eBay since 1998 and there have certainly been a lot of changes over the past 20 years.  I still enjoy the treasure hunting aspect but it does take time to find the good stuff.  I also collect a lot of comic-related material like premiums and advertising, so consequently, I never run out of ways to spend money...

7 hours ago, telerites said:

I hate to jump on the bandwagon here but the one submission through CCS, a staple was popped as well.  I thought I had missed it and did not contact CGC.  I knew I had pictures of the raw book but couldn't find them.  Several months later I did and my pics clearly showed all was attached.  I had pics of the CF as well.  Thought at that time, it was too late to do anything and won't use them again. 

I had great luck with Matt when he had Classics Inc.  Joey has been doing my stuff for a while now.  Other than good service and results no extra postage to have the books sent to CGC for grading.

I had a staple popped by CCS too. Nice book. Made me sad. Another had some tearing around the staple. 

Joey gets most of my stuff now. 

1 minute ago, buttock said:

Yeesh.  Seems like an epidemic.  

I have wondered if it is a rush to keep up with TATs.  My thought and remedial understanding of pressing is there is a level of art to it and not a one-press setting for every book.  I would rather have someone take more time to stick a high value book under levels of heat/moisture while exerting force to flatten it out than rush through so I can get the book quickly.  

6 minutes ago, telerites said:

I have wondered if it is a rush to keep up with TATs.  My thought and remedial understanding of pressing is there is a level of art to it and not a one-press setting for every book.  I would rather have someone take more time to stick a high value book under levels of heat/moisture while exerting force to flatten it out than rush through so I can get the book quickly.  

Personal touch, instead  of an assembly line.

Edited by comicdonna

This thread is an eye-opener. I too had a slabbed book come back with a wonky staple tear caused by CCS. I thought it was a one-in-a-million thing, but obviously not. I am grateful for the perspective.

3 hours ago, buttock said:

Yeesh.  Seems like an epidemic.  

The books I sent them were bigger/pricier books (one 5.5, one 6.0 - so not beaters). I went to them thinking I’d get extra care/TLC on those (as it’s certainly not the cheapest route). 

Wasn’t the case. 

I've sent many books to CCS and have heard of others having this issue with them but never experienced this myself.  It was explained to me that if you want them to review the book prior to pressing, you have to pay the extra $15 or whatever to pre-screen.  Otherwise, you are simply paying them to press.  You pay the fee, they press the book - its very black and white.  They are putting the onus on you that the cover/spine/whatever is durable enough to withstand the pressing. 

If you pay for pre-screening then the onus is on them and they will assess the durability of the book and potential for pressing and they will contact you with their determination prior to doing anything further.  Given that information, I now have them pre-screen any book of any significance that I send them and I've never had an issue.

From what I gather, everyone here is expecting them to pre-screen for free and take the time to assess before doing so.  This is what I thought as well before I asked the questions and gained a better understanding of the service I was paying for.  Hope this helps everyone!

Edited by dem1138

1 hour ago, dem1138 said:

I've sent many books to CCS and have heard of others having this issue with them but never experienced this myself.  It was explained to me that if you want them to review the book prior to pressing, you have to pay the extra $15 or whatever to pre-screen.  Otherwise, you are simply paying them to press.  You pay the fee, they press the book - its very black and white.  They are putting the onus on you that the cover/spine/whatever is durable enough to withstand the pressing. 

If you pay for pre-screening then the onus is on them and they will assess the durability of the book and potential for pressing and they will contact you with their determination prior to doing anything further.  Given that information, I now have them pre-screen any book of any significance that I send them and I've never had an issue.

From what I gather, everyone here is expecting them to pre-screen for free and take the time to assess before doing so.  This is what I thought as well before I asked the questions and gained a better understanding of the service I was paying for.  Hope this helps everyone!

So the onus is on the least informed to determine whether or not the book will be damaged.  Makes perfect sense.  I'm going to start using this in my practice.  "Well if you didn't want any organ damage you should have paid more up front for my opinion."

If this is true, it's even more of a reason not to use CCS. 

I've sent in books both lower and higher end to CCS and never had a problem with their pressing/pre-screen services before and after the merge with CGC. I'm sorry to hear a few have had bad experiences with them,  hope they made it up to you in the end.

31 minutes ago, buttock said:

So the onus is on the least informed to determine whether or not the book will be damaged.  Makes perfect sense.  I'm going to start using this in my practice.  "Well if you didn't want any organ damage you should have paid more up front for my opinion."

If this is true, it's even more of a reason not to use CCS. 

I would agree that it would make more sense to charge more and include pre-screening in every press rather than have it as an additional service.  Again I think a lot of submitters make the assumption that someone is going to look over your book before pressing even if you didn't pay for the pre-screening but that would be a mistaken assumption.  You need to pay for the pre-screening for someone to make an actual determination on the benefits or risks of pressing your book.

2 hours ago, dem1138 said:

Everyone? 

Can you point me to the "don't tear the cover off of my thousand dollar comic please" checkbox on their form? I will make sure to click it next time. Maybe that's a $20 fee. 

2 hours ago, dem1138 said:

Makes sense but this was a high grade modern book as limber as the day it was born with perfect staple placement.  Maybe it was not the pressing.  It could be SCS from shipping.  I think everyone on these boards for a while has had something to deal with.  Maybe its just a fact of the state of this hobby that there is some risk involved whenever books are handled.