• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Walking Dead 53 - is this 9.8?

10 posts in this topic

Hi, appreciate your opinions.  I have never submitted to CGC before but want to get this booked signed by Robert Kirkman and send as Signature Series.  But I don’t want less than a 9.8.  To me the book is in great shape but I want to call out a minor 1/4” cover indent to the left of the boot.  You don’t see it straight on but you can catch it in the light at an angle.  I did my best to capture it.  Key question is will this DQ it from a 9.8?  Signature fees plus grading is about $100, and I will be under water if 9.6.  Thanks!!!

FDE11FAD-D5A3-4062-9FA1-DBA51F2DADB6.jpeg

07F4A895-E487-439F-84A3-9A77CD886D72.jpeg

57196620-1E36-4492-AB78-A98ADBFB05D2.jpeg

2ADE250B-B0AB-4F84-B3D1-D0DDF4B6D96C.jpeg

CBA0C1B5-D1BA-4FC2-B016-E11724F87880.jpeg

B65A84D5-6A7C-4B49-993C-86DA9977BA0B.jpeg

72D17683-6116-4B18-A785-294A5FCA1BE9.jpeg

22C725F0-5FD6-499F-B7FD-9144C1CD2D8D.jpeg

2347BC00-9D8B-4C77-A220-44D11CD9410C.jpeg

3D16DF8E-CA13-42D8-9D5A-39E0FCA51331.jpeg

B5B3A392-D230-4590-A97F-725AA444DD45.jpeg

4CD30B34-ED40-492A-B1D0-97C7115697E9.jpeg

9C5DC306-CF66-48C1-A093-4F34FE1C1406.jpeg

65D7A423-AD29-4F74-9823-D744AA89E453.jpeg

It can be tough to tell a 9.8 from a 9.6 (or even a 9.4) just from pics w/o having the book in hand with the proper lighting etc

Do you have a chance?   I don't see why not.  My eyes don't pick up that cover indent you mention, but again 2D pic vs having it in hand. Plus you could always submit it for a press.

You didn't say how much underwater or if this is strictly for investment purposes vs personal enjoyment where the Xtra cost may not be that important (depending on level of "under water")  If the latter and you planned on holding it a long time it could appreciate in value too.  Good luck

Hey Tom!

So all I can see as far as flaws are concerned is a slight 'bend' at the bottom center of the book (front cover) near Abraham's book (just to the left when looking straight on) - is that a non-color breaking bend?

Also, is there a way you can take a pic in the glare of the light so we can see the 'bend to the left' you're referring to?  Without seeing that it's hard to make a more definitive guess.

With that being said - with what I see (including the bottom bend - assuming that is even present) - I would feel confident in submitting this for 9.8 consideration.  I've sent in worse and gotten 9.8's AND these early 9.8's have a sort of card-stock cover (I wish they still did) so when stored properly they definitely maintained their pristine condition and yours seems to look that way, too.

So for my $ I'd feel confident in submitting but still I'd like to know more about the flaw you mentioned and maybe see it.  I say with confidence to go forward with submitting this one, though! :) 

Ryan

Possibility? Sure

If you are having it signed and graded and are hoping for a 9.8 to sell it, well then there will always be that gamble. Can you live with it if it does come back a 9.6? If not, don't grade. Because to me, on this one it is between 9.6-9.8

On 6/9/2019 at 7:36 AM, csaag said:

It can be tough to tell a 9.8 from a 9.6 (or even a 9.4) just from pics w/o having the book in hand with the proper lighting etc

Do you have a chance?   I don't see why not.  My eyes don't pick up that cover indent you mention, but again 2D pic vs having it in hand. Plus you could always submit it for a press.

You didn't say how much underwater or if this is strictly for investment purposes vs personal enjoyment where the Xtra cost may not be that important (depending on level of "under water")  If the latter and you planned on holding it a long time it could appreciate in value too.  Good luck

I actually likely won't lose anything $$$ wise.  I got the book in a run of 10 for $120, so only $12 in it.  I'm sure I could break even if it went to 9.6.   This is for my permanent collection, not resale.   Maybe I will take a bunch of pics of the small cover indent so people will have more to see.

13 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

Hey Tom!

So all I can see as far as flaws are concerned is a slight 'bend' at the bottom center of the book (front cover) near Abraham's book (just to the left when looking straight on) - is that a non-color breaking bend?

Also, is there a way you can take a pic in the glare of the light so we can see the 'bend to the left' you're referring to?  Without seeing that it's hard to make a more definitive guess.

With that being said - with what I see (including the bottom bend - assuming that is even present) - I would feel confident in submitting this for 9.8 consideration.  I've sent in worse and gotten 9.8's AND these early 9.8's have a sort of card-stock cover (I wish they still did) so when stored properly they definitely maintained their pristine condition and yours seems to look that way, too.

So for my $ I'd feel confident in submitting but still I'd like to know more about the flaw you mentioned and maybe see it.  I say with confidence to go forward with submitting this one, though! :) 

Ryan

Thanks Ryan.  The only defect at all is the minor indentation to the left of Abraham's boot that I zoomed in on and tried to catch in the light.  Nothing going on the left side of the book.   Let me see if I can get some better pics of it.  The rest of the book has no flaws that I can find.

23 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

I actually likely won't lose anything $$$ wise.  I got the book in a run of 10 for $120, so only $12 in it.  I'm sure I could break even if it went to 9.6.   This is for my permanent collection, not resale.   Maybe I will take a bunch of pics of the small cover indent so people will have more to see.

Oh okay, you just said you'd be under water if it was a 9.6 so I assumed you were selling and did not want to lose.

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

Oh okay, you just said you'd be under water if it was a 9.6 so I assumed you were selling and did not want to lose.

Thanks.  Yeah, all my moderns are 9.8, most Signature Series so I would like that grade in my collection.  I looked at some prices and given it was a big first appearance of 3 characters, looks like I could get most of my $$$ selling through ComicConnect.  I personally don't want a 9.6 in a long term collection.   Personal preference.