• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Astonishing 30 - A tricky one

11 posts in this topic

It looks trimmed on all three open edges. If the interior is still readable, Apparent 1.0 (severely trimmed), if the panels have been chopped into enough to make the stories unreadable, 0.5

17 hours ago, rjpb said:

It looks trimmed on all three open edges. If the interior is still readable, Apparent 1.0 (severely trimmed), if the panels have been chopped into enough to make the stories unreadable, 0.5

Looking again I think you are correct; the book has been trimmed on all three edges. Remarkably the interior panels are all ok. 

Astonishing 30 interior.jpeg

18 hours ago, rjpb said:

I tried to find comparable CGC graded copies, but I was unsuccessful. I was wondering if you've seen other graded books that were trimmed this severely, and if you're using that as a basis for your grading assessment..?  (shrug)

5 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I tried to find comparable CGC graded copies, but I was unsuccessful. I was wondering if you've seen other graded books that were trimmed this severely, and if you're using that as a basis for your grading assessment..?  (shrug)

I don't recall specifically seeing slabbed books this severely trimmed, but this is more than the sort of trimming one finds in "apparent" grades where just an 1/8th or even a quarter inch has been trimmed from two or three edges. The effect is a book where substantial pieces are missing, as it appears about 20-25% of the book has been cut away. That it is done along the edges, and the book can still be read makes it better than "Poor" IMHO, but I can't see CGC, or anyone else reasonably giving it apparent grade higher than "Fair" with the book so compromised. But who knows for sure. 

1 minute ago, rjpb said:

I don't recall specifically seeing slabbed books this severely trimmed, but this is more than the sort of trimming one finds in "apparent" grades where just an 1/8th or even a quarter inch has been trimmed from two or three edges. The effect is a book where substantial pieces are missing, as it appears about 20-25% of the book has been cut away. That it is done along the edges, and the book can still be read makes it better than "Poor" IMHO, but I can't see CGC, or anyone else reasonably giving it apparent grade higher than "Fair" with the book so compromised. But who knows for sure. 

Thanks for the detailed analysis. 

It makes me wonder if it could get a Qualified label...

On 6/8/2019 at 8:45 PM, The-Collector said:

I was sold this book as a remainder copy. As you can see the both the top and right edge have been drastically trimmed. 

The bottom edge is trimmed about a half inch also. I have an untrimmed copy and I'm able to see the complete banner "ON SALE MONTHLY" and artist Joe Maneely's signature on mine.

IMHO 1.0-1.5 (R). 

I agree with @rjpb I've never seen anything trimmed this severely.  This book mocks me. It pulls its pants down and mocks me.

Edited by GomerPyleUSMC