• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CT removal on this book...bad idea, or terrible idea?

7 posts in this topic

I really and truly hate the look of ridiculously CT scraped books, but there's just no room for purple in my collection.  Can anyone with experience tell me if this one might be worth trying it?  They called it C-1 but I don't recall seeing bleed through.  Here's the graders notes and here's a pic of the book.  I'm leaning heavily towards just holding on to this and waiting for the day when they say that Small/minor CT books go in blue labels and the CT is just treated like a stain...basically looking for reasons not to try it.  Based on these graders notes does anyone know if this could be gently scraped, or if there would be paper loss and holes in it afterwards.

Color touch (Non-archival material small areas) Left Top Front Cover C-1
Color touch (Non-archival material small areas) Right Top Front Cover C-1
small crease right bottom of front cover breaks color
spine stress lines breaks color

Texan3cgc8R.jpg

Edited by szav

the problem with C level resto is that it usually means it bled through (from what I understand) if you are serious about it you would need to crack the book out and look from the inside. If it bled through it will not be gentle scrape and they may not do it. You can also shine a black light on the book to see how extensive it is and where

This is a nice copy. The color touch must be pretty minor. 

Personally, I wouldn't have it removed, because it's very likely you'll suffer some minor paper loss if you do. I'd either sell it at a reduced price or crack it out and enjoy it. Great cover, by the way...  

12 hours ago, szav said:

I really and truly hate the look of ridiculously CT scraped books, but there's just no room for purple in my collection.  Can anyone with experience tell me if this one might be worth trying it?  They called it C-1 but I don't recall seeing bleed through.  Here's the graders notes and here's a pic of the book.  I'm leaning heavily towards just holding on to this and waiting for the day when they say that Small/minor CT books go in blue labels and the CT is just treated like a stain...basically looking for reasons not to try it.  Based on these graders notes does anyone know if this could be gently scraped, or if there would be paper loss and holes in it afterwards.

Color touch (Non-archival material small areas) Left Top Front Cover C-1
Color touch (Non-archival material small areas) Right Top Front Cover C-1
small crease right bottom of front cover breaks color
spine stress lines breaks color

Texan3cgc8R.jpg

Since the Color Touch states Non-archival, I suspect it was ink and probably bleeds. Removal would probably require scraping and possibly sections removed. There are references to two different areas of the book. I don't think it will look good. I would leave it alone. If it bothers you, just sell it. Sorry.