• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you transport your comic art to cons?
2 2

51 posts in this topic

A question not just for collectors but artists.

A current Kickstarter from Jim Lee got me thinking about this question. Like many artists they bring art for sale along with artists supplies. Jim decided to come up with something for the artist, art collector and even the comic book collector. "Jim Lee's The First Backpacks For Artists & Collectors". From the pictures and videos its looks interesting, Jim put some thought into it. Able to carry art supplies, has a separate sleeve for 11x17 artwork and for the comic book collector a different backpack that carries slabbed comics, overstreet price guide pocket. Sounds like it might have a big audience.

What does every use currently to transport their comics art to and from cons? What about carrying the original art the you bought at the con or took to the con for trade/sale?

Jim Lee Artist Backpack:

1847178861_ArtistBackpack.png.f61ae16dc533b11f922a425d8a295459.png1565341590_openartistportfolio.jpg.7dd7f5cf6a4f4f16f015aaa51bfac679.jpg

portfoliol.jpg.27eab05a2c2acb0cba285f565a6af5d7.jpg

Jim Lee Comic Collector Backpack:

1843751595_ComicCollectorBackpack.png.da7587b11af8f4cf8974d7647fc853e6.png

2022870258_comiccasepocket.jpg.ff5a6a07a3306be9d2a486c092e40bc8.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck

For at least the last 15 years, I have been transporting comic art to and from cons using a 20"x26" soft portfolio and on the inside a 17"x22"  thick rigid paperboard portfolio. Nice and flat fits in the overheard luggage compartment on the plane. Its also great for walking around the con with, its very sturdy and I have never had any issues with damaged artwork.

bp_portfolio.thumb.jpg.86a0a7e42784f06d5605ac5ed52ae382.jpg

It's still going strong but after seeing Jim's new Kickstarter I thought about maybe getting something new. The Lee Artist Backpack looks really useful but I collect Silver Age art and other artwork that is larger than the standard 11x17 which fits in that backpack. Plus the backpack style just doesn't fit me.

I came across this Anya A2 Art Portfolio Case (17"x22") which looks pretty durable. Inside color not my taste but will break it in at SDCC next month.

--2.jpeg.da371af858c4724953b37ec188dbb147.jpeg

-.thumb.jpeg.f35fbb89ac6919ddb0f86689d46dce47.jpeg

I’ve been using a large canvas art bag for years with no issues. I just add a piece of foam core inside for added stability. If taking comics I keep them in there as well or take a basic back pack for that and other essentials. One key I’ve noted for a happy con experience is to pack as light as possible.

These are all way smarter than what I’ve been doing. I just buy a sleeve at the show, or sometimes, carry a plastic bag. Then, I will later go to my car to drop off a purchase. I have been hesitant to buy something unless it can be folded up into a really small package because most of my purchases, except commissions, are by mail and I don’t want to carry anything of size. 

North Face bag with shoulder strap. Holds multiple 13x19 portfolios and my sketchbook with plenty of room to throw in something else if needed. Only downside is my shoulder can get tired if it is packed with a lot of art. I find Jim Lee's solution interesting but would need to hold larger than 11x17 (I don't know that it doesn't). I have been thinking of investigating a backpack type solution and will be on the lookout for anyone using one of these as I would like to see it in person. I think Jim's name attached prices this higher than it needs to be so I imagine a more generic solution with the same bells and whistles will come along if this does well. 

Edited by JadeGiant

A lightweight canvas bag that I can fold up / roll up and keep in my luggage. I religiously travel with one bag. If I have two bags to carry, I will forget one before too long. Plus, I don't want the extra weight.

I have a portfolio and/or plastic sleeves to hold the art.

Not buying the bag.

Edited by alxjhnsn

On 6/10/2019 at 11:03 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I will later go to my car to drop off a purchase. 

I would not do this.

A story - we had a big meeting of the folks that deliver our projects to clients. 20-30 experienced international travelers.

They went to dinner at a local restaurant. Got out of the car, put their computer bags into the trunk at the restaurant. When they came back, everything was gone. The police say that it's not uncommon for the bad guys to be watching for people putting stuff in the trunk and doing a quick snatch and grab. The real killer? It wasn't the computers. It was that most of this folks put their passports in the bags! Never do that - hotel safe or on your person.

I've had it happen to friends twice - once in Houston and once in Grenoble.

Haven't heard of it at a con, but ...

Edited by alxjhnsn

I bought a large camping backpack from REI a few years ago. It holds all my 11x17 and 13x19 portfolios. I have a small shoulder bag designed for a small laptop to carry my comics in as well. When both are full It's close to 70 pounds of additional weight.

3 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

I would not do this.

A story - we had a big meeting of the folks that delivery our projects to clients. 20-30 experienced international travelers.

They went to dinner at a local restaurant. Got out of the car, put their computer bags into the trunk at the restaurant. When they came back, everything was gone. The police say that it's not uncommon for the bag guys to be watching for people putting stuff in the trunk and doing a quick snatch and grab. The real killer? It wasn't the computers. It was that most of this folks put their passports in the bags! Never do that - hotel safe or on your person.

I've had it happen to friends twice - once in Houston and once in Grenoble.

Haven't heard of it at a con, but ...

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, vodou said:

Great old standby, brick sheethouse 'n all, but does get heavy by the end of a long day.

image.png.b622bf223fd99890991cfd29569e8e0d.png

Next time I'll pay up for the one with wheels.

And a Schwarzenegger

I use a Start Prat S2000 Convertible Backpack Portfolio, Weather-Resistant Canvas, Pockets for Storage and Tube Holder, 24 X 27 X 2.5 inches, Black.

1068888884_stratprat.jpg.c64bf20039af4aaa10b78ddf72ba041f.jpg

The consumer in me wants both of the Jim Lee bags the one for art and the one for comics. If I do a big enough sale before the kickstarter ends I'll probably buy the art one at least. Even if I think it is really expensive. I do international travels to fly to a convention and lately I've been taking as much art as I can to have either the artist, writer or the inker sign the art for me so I need a bag that won't give me trouble because of the size of the bag my current prat is just to big and I have no problem hauling it at conventions as I also take 1 or 2 long boxes with me. lol

Depending on the show, I'll use: a backpack with a waterproof rolltop pocket (enough for 11 x 17 art and foamcore)  or a hard sided artcase (~16 x 20) or a cheaper/lighter hard sided artcase (~11 x 17).

Kind of funny in the Hex/Jim Lee video that Jim Dolmayan pulls out an Fantastic Four 1 to promote a DC branded product.

If it could fit a 13 x 19 Itoya, that would be nice.  At $240 (special KS pricing), it's a lot more than any other backpack that Hex sells (MSRP).  It may be worth the $$$, it looks like this has more features than other Hex backpacks..  But most collectors already carry their art in portfolios that cost considerably less.  Artists might find it handy but they'll have to convert from whatever methods they've been using for years.

On 6/10/2019 at 12:39 PM, delekkerste said:

That's not bad.

For $15 bucks more, this bag is much better.  Best one I've owned. Doesn't rip. Has additional straps to support the bag.

For $40 bucks its probably better than the $240 kickstarter bag.

I've owned the Pratt bag -- it rips when the load gets heavier.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B076H2TXXB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Edited by glenbru

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I just ordered it. Does it come with any hard material in the inside, or do you pack something like a pad or cor-foam?

No hard material; I just use it to carry an Itoya and other things...haven't needed to reinforce it further. 

I'm surprised Jim's "backpack" isn't polybagged as he is clearly trying to sell these as limited edition collectibles.

While it may work for Jim's needs, the other options listed are probably more suitable for collectors as Jim doesn't use mylars or itoyas to protect the art.

I have also used most of the lightweight portfolio cases, (canvas and vinyl versions), with the shoulder straps. 

I've also used a heavier oversized "aluminum" briefcase designed to hold Mac Laptops.  The quality isn't the best but it is well designed.   It can hold 2 itoya 13 x 19 portfolios secured with Velcro straps inside.  I've carried it onto airplanes and it fits in the overhead bins.   The case has been discontinued.

I believe the backpack case that Gene and Will recommended and reviewed in another thread are basically the same as the one Glen ordered. Amazon tends to sell the same item by different sellers under various brand names.

I just ordered a green one that appears to be re-inforced with a "stiffening rod".  Lol.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R3DNK9X

Edited by NelsonAI
Typos