• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you transport your comic art to cons?
2 2

51 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, glenbru said:

That's not bad.

For $15 bucks more, this bag is much better.  Best one I've owned. Doesn't rip. Has additional straps to support the bag.

For $40 bucks its probably better than the $240 kickstarter bag.

I've owned the Pratt bag -- it rips when the load gets heavier.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B076H2TXXB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I've been using the Prat and even with 3 Itoya folders of art I've not had any tearing issues although I'm tempted by this one as the straps look better quality.

I just received my green backpack. The quality of the stitching is poor and no hint of any "stiffening rod".  Looks like I got stiffed.  Lol.  At $16, I will probably keep it but will reinforce the stitching around the shoulder straps.  I may need it when riding on my e-scooter.  Lol.  Yes, the straps suck.

I would not overload it either.

Glen's might be better but these backpacks all have negative reviews about the stitching and zippers.

Stick with the traditional shoulder strap portfolio cases.

On 6/10/2019 at 3:39 PM, delekkerste said:

I just used this to transport some art I bought yesterday at a show, and it is excellent, particularly for the price. The shoulder straps freed up my hands, while the multiple pockets came in handy to hold other things. The only thing I didn’t like was the quality of a zipper which was jamming a little, but it worked. One of the artists at the show commented how he liked it, too.

On 6/30/2019 at 5:55 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I just used this to transport some art I bought yesterday at a show, and it is excellent, particularly for the price. The shoulder straps freed up my hands, while the multiple pockets came in handy to hold other things. The only thing I didn’t like was the quality of a zipper which was jamming a little, but it worked. One of the artists at the show commented how he liked it, too.

Make that two comments. Someone who buys art wanted to know where I got it. They liked the shoulder straps, in particular.

I am going to revoke my recommendation of the bag Gene recommended, at least for now.

I just went to look at it this morning, and one of the clips which holds a shoulder strap together was broken. It was slipping a little at the show; now I know why. I am going to contact the manufacturer about getting a replacement, but if they won't provide one, I can't see getting a bag which lasted less than 2 months, and one major use.

20190703_162740.thumb.jpg.25030f13dc8b70f379c7bc93062acab2.jpg

:

20190703_162823.jpg

Sorry to hear about your backpack.

When I received my green backpack from Amazon, I could immediately see how poor the stitching was.  Most of the negative reviews were about the straps breaking at the seams.

While I could return it to Amazon, I will keep it and try to reinforce the stitching around the straps and see how that works out.

Otherwise, I might try the one Glen bought.

11 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

Sorry to hear about your backpack.

When I received my green backpack from Amazon, I could immediately see how poor the stitching was.  Most of the negative reviews were about the straps breaking at the seams.

While I could return it to Amazon, I will keep it and try to reinforce the stitching around the straps and see how that works out.

Otherwise, I might try the one Glen bought.

I was thinking the same thing. Luckily, I am still within the return period.

I kept my green backpack but did reinforce the stitching on the top and bottom of each strap.  I loaded up the portfolio and tested it out at NYCC on Sunday.  The metal zipper pulls snapped in half.  I remedied the situation by fashioning my own zipper pulls at the show  but quality control sucks.

I had no problems walking through the crowds or the show with the backpack.  My issue is how tight the straps are even after loosening them to the max.

After looking at Glen's backpack in person, I ordered the black backpack off Amazon for $40 and received it today.

The straps are far superior and comfortable.  The straps are longer and also provide additional support with the chest clip and waist strap.

The backpack also has a shoulder strap option.  I have not reinforced the straps yet but am prepared to do so if necessary.  Spend the extra $.

Edited by NelsonAI
Typos

9 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

I kept my green backpack but did reinforce the stitching on the top and bottom of each strap.  I loaded up the portfolio and tested it out at NYCC on Sunday.  The metal zipper pulls snapped in half.  I remedied the situation by fashioning my own zipper pulls at the show  but quality control sucks.

I had no problems walking through the crowds or the show with the backpack.  My issue is how tight the straps are even after loosening them to the max.

After looking at Glen's backpack in person, I ordered the black backpack off Amazon for $40 and received it today.

The straps are far superior and comfortable.  The straps are longer and also provide additional support with the chest clip and waist strap.

The backpack also has a shoulder strap option.  I have not reinforced the straps yet but am prepared to do so if necessary.  Spend the extra $.

I also bought the one Glen recommended. And yes, it is excellent. But, it is heavy, particularly after loading it up. My back was sore for days. After a while, I carried by the hand grip.

Luckily, I have a huge belly to counter balance the weight of the backpack.  xD

The new black backpack itself probably weighs 4 lbs. Loaded, you are going to carry about 10 - 12 lbs.  Take a few breaks, take the backpack off during the show and rest.  Part of the weight load I carry is a 3.5 lb. plastic folding step stool I use to sit down on.  

The industrial strength concrete floors with steel plates at the convention center don't help.  

16 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

Luckily, I have a huge belly to counter balance the weight of the backpack.  xD

The new black backpack itself probably weighs 4 lbs. Loaded, you are going to carry about 10 - 12 lbs.  Take a few breaks, take the backpack off during the show and rest.  Part of the weight load I carry is a 3.5 lb. plastic folding step stool I use to sit down on.  

The industrial strength concrete floors with steel plates at the convention center don't help.  

I carry a lot more than, that. The bag seems to weigh a bit more than 4 lbs., but not a lot more. 

I carry copies of reprint books for artists to use as models, one or two pads of paper (different sizes), top loaders for art I may buy, various brushes and pencils if an artist needs them, and lunch for two because I can't stand the food at those places, along with snacks and some drinks (in a separate bag which I can hand carry). I would say closer to 25-35 lbs, total.

just buy a northface used messenger bag on ebay.  i see a bunch ranging from $20 - $60.  just make sure the dimensions are big enough to carry whatever size portfolio you usually take.   i bought one used and have been carrying it around cons for 4+ years.

https://www.amazon.com/BRINCH-Backpack-Resistant-Knapsack-Computer/dp/B01JYGY7AO/ref=sr_1_11?crid=POCJ580SDS4S&keywords=18+inch+laptop+bag&qid=1571886159&sprefix=18+inch+la%2Caps%2C232&sr=8-11

just got this one and like it so far in theory. I’ll see how it holds up next time I travel. Fits 11x17 and 13x19 itoyas perfectly. I’ve had other larger bags in the past, but they were bigger than what I needed

I look forward to hearing more feedback on the Brinch laptop backpack once you've had a chance to test it thoroughly.

Reading the specs, the interior dimensions of the main compartment appear to be:

19.6 inches x 13.8 inches.  

That seems a little tight for a fully loaded itoya 13 x 19 portfolio where the outer binder dimensions are probably greater than 20 inches x 14 inches.

It's on my Amazon watch list for now.

Thanks for the tip. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, NelsonAI said:

I look forward to hearing more feedback on the Brinch laptop backpack once you've had a chance to test it thoroughly.

Reading the specs, the interior dimensions of the main compartment appear to be:

19.6 inches x 13.8 inches.  

That seems a little tight for a fully loaded itoya 13 x 19 portfolio where the outer binder dimensions are probably greater than 20 inches x 14 inches.

It's on my Amazon watch list for now.

Thanks for the tip. (thumbsu

I at least loaded it up and I got 3 11x17s and a 13x19 and they fit totally fine. A little heavy but doable. Not uncomfortable strap wise. 

I got the Jim Lee Artist backpack and I gave it a major test at NYCC and it held up really well. For art 11x17 and under it is perfect. I brought back 8 piece easily. Very comfortable, though slightly heavy, at least you're not worried about your art. I've done a couple side trip with the bag without the interior portfolio and that gives you extra space and reduces the weight. The bag is sturdy but a bit thick, particularly noticeable when you're on the subway etc. 

In December I'm traveling and may have a couple portfolios with me including a 17 x 22 so I'll be looking at one of the shoulder options.