• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you transport your comic art to cons?
2 2

51 posts in this topic

Thanks ML.

I was looking at the Jim Lee backpack and the Brinch backpack recommended by CC.  I am hoping to find a carry-on bag where I can fit an itoya 13x19 portfolio, enough clothes and misc electronics where I can attend a comic con for a long weekend without checking in a bag or luggage.  I even looked at the Amazon Basics backpack.

I would leave clothes and electronics at the hotel and just carry the backpack and itoya at the show.

I’ve ordered the itoya portfolio + tablet in the 18x24 - I’ll update when it’s here early Dec. 

the big question is - Summer Connor Winter con?!? 😂

Seriously speaking though, I loved the Jim Lee for the con - but you are limited to 11x17 or smaller. In that range though, you feel rock solid invulnerable with the art. 

The itoya carrier was delivered today. I’ve attached pics. It’s definitely a superior con bag just because it can hold so much art in many sizes very easily. I’m extremely happy with it. 3 fully loaded portfolios in any size from 17x22 or smaller will easily fit in this. I wish there were a carry handle on the long side. The handle on the short side is only useful if one is over 6’2” or so, which I am not. No claims to waterproofness, unfortunately, but otherwise simple and functional. Obviously, the drawback is that it cannot really hold anything other than art, so not good to double with clothes etc, like the Jim Lee. 

FF033D36-BCC5-4B37-A001-366CE1A30400.jpeg

B7880362-8878-4C7C-9173-B7516B7140BE.jpeg

52120B17-E55B-48DA-9AB1-7B55B97138F2.jpeg

F8C8B9A1-88E4-4A91-81A4-5B12E7612273.jpeg

Thanks for the new pics.  (thumbsu

A friend was using the Itoya brand backpack at NYCC.  He said it was life changing but admitted that at the end of the day, his back hurt.  

I'm not sure how many pounds he was lugging but he did have a lot of art with him.

Mylars and backing boards are deceptively heavy.  

22 hours ago, dichotomy said:

The itoya carrier was delivered today. I’ve attached pics. It’s definitely a superior con bag just because it can hold so much art in many sizes very easily. I’m extremely happy with it. 3 fully loaded portfolios in any size from 17x22 or smaller will easily fit in this. I wish there were a carry handle on the long side. The handle on the short side is only useful if one is over 6’2” or so, which I am not. No claims to waterproofness, unfortunately, but otherwise simple and functional. Obviously, the drawback is that it cannot really hold anything other than art, so not good to double with clothes etc, like the Jim Lee. 

FF033D36-BCC5-4B37-A001-366CE1A30400.jpeg

B7880362-8878-4C7C-9173-B7516B7140BE.jpeg

52120B17-E55B-48DA-9AB1-7B55B97138F2.jpeg

F8C8B9A1-88E4-4A91-81A4-5B12E7612273.jpeg

were did you purchase this bag? Does Itoya have a smaller one? I like this one and would like to purchase one!

3 hours ago, timguerrero said:

were did you purchase this bag? Does Itoya have a smaller one? I like this one and would like to purchase one!

Check online. I bought it from Utrecht but looking at the shipping it came from Blicks, who ironically said they were sold out on their website (for this size). Wacky e-commerce. 

D***Blick bought out Utrecht so it's the same company.  The Itoya backpack goes for about $100.

The backpack recommended and battle tested by Glen works pretty well.  It also has a handle on the side and a shoulder strap so it is versatile.

I have only tested it out at home, not at a show.  It's definitely worth a look at $40.

2 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

D***Blick bought out Utrecht so it's the same company.  The Itoya backpack goes for about $100.

The backpack recommended and battle tested by Glen works pretty well.  It also has a handle on the side and a shoulder strap so it is versatile.

I have only tested it out at home, not at a show.  It's definitely worth a look at $40.

It looked bulkier so that’s why I decided to go with the itoya (as a very small person) 

I bought the Brinch laptop bag recommended by CC. A few of my thoughts:

- As an oversized laptop bag it works great.

- As an OA portfolio carrier at a local show it's fine.  The bag is heavily insulated which is great for cushioning a laptop.  As far as itoya 13" x 19" portfolio goes, it's a tight squeeze but does fit.  Just make sure you use backing boards and mylars to protect your art.  This has a smaller profile than the Parateck brand backpack that Glen and I have.  As CC pointed out, you can fit (1) 13 x 19 portfolio and (2) 11x 17 portfolios in this backpack.   

- As a carry-on in lieu of luggage, you can probably get away with packing lightly for 2 days if you use packing cubes.  You can still squeeze your itoya in there but why take the risk.  For a longer show, this will not work.  If I were to take Amtrak or Bolt Bus to a weekend show in Philly it would be fine. 

- Riding around locally on my electric scooter, this actually works well.  The shoulder straps are comfortable.