• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel January 1962 'Black Circle' Repriced Editions
4 4

127 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2023 at 5:05 PM, BuscemasAvengers said:

Just out of curiosity Steve, any guesses as to how many labels (that were previously identified as '12 cent variants') will need to be corrected according to CGC's position?

The current census records for the three books are (regular/variant):

• LR #97 - 6/6
  • JIM #76 - 48/35
  • GW #68 - 5/13

Not huge volumes, and no surprise that the romance and western are some way behind the monster book.

We know from the examples that I've posted in this thread that CGC haven't been consistent in the past so we can't be sure which of the two version groups the historic black circle book submissions sit in within those numbers. The available images do seem to suggest that they once regarded the black circle book as the variant and we don't know when they changed their mind on that - maybe it was your submission query that prompted their rethink / current stance, who knows. 

I think it was worth challenging the decision myself, even if the result wasn't what we had hoped for. I also thought a few more members here might have added their voice too. Maybe some more support of my argument might have given CGC further cause to reflect, but all they will see reading this thread is a 50/50 to and fro between me and namisgr. I failed to convince him, and they may take comfort from the fact that half of the interested parties agree with them.

I suspect you won't be the last person to be disappointed by the labelling stance Tim, but there you go. The good news is that you have the current highest graded copy of any description and regardless of what is or isn't written on the label of the plastic encasing it, the book should always be the star :) 

On 9/13/2023 at 4:27 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

The current census records for the three books are (regular/variant):

• LR #97 - 6/6
  • JIM #76 - 48/35
  • GW #68 - 5/13

The available images do seem to suggest that they once regarded the black circle book as the variant and we don't know when they changed their mind on that - maybe it was your submission query that prompted their rethink / current stance, who knows. 

I think it was worth challenging the decision myself, even if the result wasn't what we had hoped for. I also thought a few more members here might have added their voice too. Maybe some more support of my argument might have given CGC further cause to reflect, but all they will see reading this thread is a 50/50 to and fro between me and namisgr. I failed to convince him, and they may take comfort from the fact that half of the interested parties agree with them.

I suspect you won't be the last person to be disappointed by the labelling stance Tim, but there you go. The good news is that you have the current highest graded copy of any description and regardless of what is or isn't written on the label of the plastic encasing it, the book should always be the star :) 

Not sure we'll get one, but perhaps a statement from CGC highlighting the reasons why they decided to change their thought process might add to the discussion. We have been given reasons why they decided not to label my copy (i.e. their current 'logic'), but have not heard the reasons why they started off the other way. I don't think that's an unfair request.

On 9/13/2023 at 3:27 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Maybe some more support of my argument might have given CGC further cause to reflect, but all they will see reading this thread is a 50/50 to and fro between me and namisgr. I failed to convince him, and they may take comfort from the fact that half of the interested parties agree with them.

Nah.  I'm just another ordinary comic collector, and there's no chance at all that my opinion voiced in this thread makes any difference at all.  As for CGC's stance, let's be real and mention that the company is far more focused on maximizing the volume and revenue from its business than it is acting as a steward for the hobby.  They've made decisions in the past that have put them at odds with significant numbers of collectors, and they'll continue to do so.  It's the nature of the business.

Where you might find greater joy is taking the matter up with a couple of Overstreet advisors, to see whether any might be willing to lobby for a change in the guide's stance on the issue (if it doesn't already agree with your viewpoint, of course).

On 9/13/2023 at 12:44 PM, namisgr said:

As for CGC's stance, let's be real and mention that the company is far more focused on maximizing the volume and revenue from its business than it is acting as a steward for the hobby.  They've made decisions in the past that have put them at odds with significant numbers of collectors, and they'll continue to do so.  It's the nature of the business.

Agreed. And very well put.

On 9/13/2023 at 12:44 PM, namisgr said:

Where you might find greater joy is taking the matter up with a couple of Overstreet advisors, to see whether any might be willing to lobby for a change in the guide's stance on the issue (if it doesn't already agree with your viewpoint, of course).

I haven't checked to see what their position is on the black circles, but having tried to highlight books in other areas, I've come to realise that Overstreet is a closed shop with a closed mind. 

On 9/13/2023 at 9:52 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I haven't checked to see what their position is on the black circles, but having tried to highlight books in other areas, I've come to realise that Overstreet is a closed shop with a closed mind. 

That's where having a couple of advisors as advocates could be helpful.

On 9/13/2023 at 3:04 PM, namisgr said:

That's where having a couple of advisors as advocates could be helpful.

I did have one introduce me but they didn't respond to my subsequent approach. Thank you though. I'm thinking of writing my own book so maybe the results of all those years of research will get a proper outing one day :wishluck: