• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating GEEzusWalks
3 3

260 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

But he never said he sold it on eBay. I asked him in a PM if it was sold previous and he answered that he did not know. Then he was asked for receipts.

What if it was not sold? how does he produce a receipt? 

People are skimming the text (which I can understand).

He also said he deleted pictures for space reasons on his computer, and also removed from the thread (where once uploaded does not take up any space on a local machine), then he said he removed pictures because
of people taking registry numbers and adding books they do not own to sets..  I personally don't think either of these are true.  The time from when he took the pictures of the slab conducted the sales thread and lost the
slab in his house is pretty close.  I have a big house and there is no way a slab would get lost.  Not a skimmer...

1 hour ago, ChiSoxFan said:

Taking a guess, I think it referred to the "House of Comics" debacle, found HERE . Long-time members here will remember that going from a scammer situation, turning ludicrously funny at one point -- but ending very tragically at the end.  

I'm at the doctor with my wife, so I can't find the link to the way that situation ended, but it was scary/disturbing stuff.  

I have my own 2c to add to the greater discussion, but that will have to wait until I'm back home later. I'm sure everyone will be on pins and needles until then, lol. lol:tonofbricks:

1 hour ago, newshane said:

Do tell. :popcorn:

The link I posted about the "House of Comics/Neely family" situation brings you to the start of the PL discussions -- there were several threads at the time where the male half of the couple responded (with things going as well as you might expect they would, and eventually the female half of the couple chiming in -- all of those threads ended up going poof, but there's another I found that apparently can still be read HERE.

It was a complete mess.  The sellers were apparently trying to run a start-up comic selling business, both with a website and on eBay, with what looked to be no business acumen, no integrity, and no clue how much grief they were in store for here when at least one boardie was ripped off by them.  The threads involved had a little bit of everything -- back and forth between the scammers and board members, geniune moments of hilarity (the picture posted earlier in this thread of a cluttered living room was put together in part due to this situation as a form of mocking the offenders), and it ended up with the people in question being put into the Hall of Shame (desevedly so) and, I believe, being banned from the boards for behavior in the various threads).

The disturbing end to the whole story came a few months later, when the wife was attacked by her husband in a brutal knife assault, leaving her badly wounded. (Info HERE).  It was a tragic ending to one of the more memorable stories in my 10 years or so on the boards. The thread about them I linked above has a lot of the highlights of what happened (and I don't know if the people who got ripped off were ever made whole -- I don't think so, but my memory on that is fuzzy), The violent ending to everything definitely still gives me chills thinking about it though. :S

8 minutes ago, ChiSoxFan said:

The link I posted about the "House of Comics/Neely family" situation brings you to the start of the PL discussions -- there were several threads at the time where the male half of the couple responded (with things going as well as you might expect they would, and eventually the female half of the couple chiming in -- all of those threads ended up going poof, but there's another I found that apparently can still be read HERE.

It was a complete mess.  The sellers were apparently trying to run a start-up comic selling business, both with a website and on eBay, with what looked to be no business acumen, no integrity, and no clue how much grief they were in store for here when at least one boardie was ripped off by them.  The threads involved had a little bit of everything -- back and forth between the scammers and board members, geniune moments of hilarity (the picture posted earlier in this thread of a cluttered living room was put together in part due to this situation as a form of mocking the offenders), and it ended up with the people in question being put into the Hall of Shame (desevedly so) and, I believe, being banned from the boards for behavior in the various threads).

The disturbing end to the whole story came a few months later, when the wife was attacked by her husband in a brutal knife assault, leaving her badly wounded. (Info HERE).  It was a tragic ending to one of the more memorable stories in my 10 years or so on the boards. The thread about them I linked above has a lot of the highlights of what happened (and I don't know if the people who got ripped off were ever made whole -- I don't think so, but my memory on that is fuzzy), The violent ending to everything definitely still gives me chills thinking about it though. :S

Geez! I guess I avoided hearing about that drama., or maybe I've forgotten. I was around back then. 

1 hour ago, mrwoogieman said:

Follow up to the follow up - he pled guilty to attempted first degree murder and was sentenced to 15-19 years in prison.

https://www.wbtv.com/story/25745264/union-county-d-a-defends-plea-deal-that-has-domestic-violence-stabbing-victim-upset/

I read this out of order and thought you meant the seller here...it's a good thing my chair was close by;)  
That crew was movie fodder.

So, my 2c on the matter, which aren't going to be any more valid than other opinions expressed here -- simply another viewpoint, and I have personal experience with having someone lose a high dollar book that I'd bought, as well as losing a book myself (not one in a sales thread, but a high dollar book nonetheless), which gives me at least a little insight to talk on the subject.

My personal experiences in similar instances, NOT with the board member in question on the PL, nor with Brock (I've had no dealings with either over my time here, which is amazing considering how many transactions I've done here as a buyer or seller, but it's the case -- so I have no skin in the game, so to speak). 

A few years back, I bought a high grade DC 100 Page Super Spectacular #6 (9.2 copy, I believe) off a VERY, VERY reputable dealer (someone with, by all accounts, a stellar reputation, who does shows, has an online website, and who is a member of these message boards -- the transaction in question was on eBay).  It was a book I'd been looking for a high grade copy of for a while, and the price on this copy was right (fairly priced -- not a huge steal, but certainly one that I jumped on at the list price when it popped up.  eBay was running either a coupon % off or an eBay Bucks promotion as well, so for me, it was a no-brainer, especially considering the lower numbers of copies of the book on the census at 9.2 or higher).  A short time after I paid (maybe a couple of days?  I'm not seeing it in my activity nor the email I got from the seller, so I'm not sure of the exact timeframe), I got a message from the seller that the book couldn't be located.  The seller immediately refunded me, explained that the book might have either sold at a show or off of their website, but in any case, it wasn't available to be sent to me.  The seller was extremely apologetic, and they offered me a discount on a future purchase as a way to make amends (which I never cashed in, though I have done business with them since with no issues, and had done business with them prior to this as well).

In this case, I had complete confidence that, due to the seller's reputation in the community, as well as my previous dealings with them, that nothing nefarious had happened.  The book, however it had happened, simply wasn't there, and I understood that, and every action taken by the dealer in response to the situation represented top-notch customer service on their end (and more so than I would have thought was required, with the future discount they offered as well).  I was disappointed, but I ended up grabbing a 9.4 copy about a year ago, so for me at least, it all worked out.  I would 100% do business with this person again (and have since), and I would easily recommend others do so as well.

On my end, when I run sales threads and list a book, I'm literally holding the book in my hands as I'm listing it for sale.  The boxes with the books in my sales threads are within arms reach, so I 100% know that the book is in my possession before I try to sell it,  I would expect sellers here would do that amount of diligence, but apparently, that's not the case.  I can be somewhat OCD (anyone who's perused my threads would probably suspect that, as I know I try to keep meticulous recaps and as up-to-the minute updates on what's sold and what hasn't).  That meticulous nature extends to my keeping track of my personal collection.  And yet, somehow, I managed to lose a pretty nice raw copy of a Batman #171 many years ago.  It was in my house, in my stuff ... and then when I went to look for it one day ... it was gone.  I'm 99% sure it wasn't stolen by someone, but despite constantly searching for it, it simply never turned up, lost in some pocket dimension somewhere (I eventually replaced it with another raw copy, and then a graded copy, but it still stings thinking about it today).

The moral of those two examples, I guess, is that no matter how good or thorough you are as a seller or a collector ... sometimes things do go missing.  Weird stuff happens.

This particular case is a thorny PL one (again, my 2c only).  Almost always, PL matters end with either the offender doing nothing to rectify the situation, or they make good somehow and are removed from the PL.  It's been rare instances in my recollection where someone who didn't get a book or books they claimed and were refunded after the situtation became a PL matter, but the other party remained on the list (if someone has a precedent for that happening in previous PL cases, that would establish some continuity for this situation).

There are, however, a lot of red flags in this particular instance, that give me pause on taking the word of the seller's account of things, which have all been discussed ad nauseum already.  The removal of the pictures (and the possible paper trail of a serial number if the book were to sell somewhere else).  The "bargain" price.  The immediate refund and the seeming initial indifference to finding the book (if I had been the seller, I would have been tearing my house apart to find the book to avoid having to do a refund, never mind the customer service implications).  All of it is circumstantial, and any one of those things alone might not mean as much, but the weight of all of it together paints a picture that makes me certainly have skepticism about the seller's story.

The basic problem is that we're likely never going to have a true resolution to the situation.  If the seller is telling the truth -- even if people here (myself, to an extent, included) think he may not be -- there still may be no way to prove such unless the book were to turn up, which if it's truly lost, it won't (no way to replace deleted pictures, no way to complete the initial transaction, etc.).  And obviously, if the seller isn't telling the truth, there still may be no way to prove that either, unless the book in its original slab (which a boardie took a screenshot of) turned up for sale somewhere else.  So, with no definitive way to 100% prove either account, we're left with a murkier picture to deal with.  For what will amount for a permanent place on the PL -- which is what will happen if the book doesn't turn up (since Brock's request for the initial pictures to be replaced, and the seller's reply that the pics had been deleted, won't happen) -- that's something that's more problematic for me. Still, I don't have a strong objection with this seller being on the PL, and I 100% understand and sympathize with Brock's frustration over not having the initial transaction carried out.  I think the concerns of other sellers possibly using a removal of the seller from the PL as a means to claiming a book is lost in the future to get out of future sales to be valid, though how often that would happen is questionable (and a seller's reputation would likely result in different results if that were to happen).  A PL punishment in every instance like this in the future would be overly harsh. and it would be difficult to get support to enforce.  I know people have personal lists -- I have mine -- and in any case, this situation would have landed the seller on many people's, PL list or not.

Anyway, that long-winded view is my 2c.  This is not a typical cut-and-dry PL situation, and I see the merits of both inclusion and exclusion from the list.  Erring on the side of caution would be best -- except, I'm not sure whether the seller being on the list or not being on it would be doing so. ???

2 hours ago, newshane said:

Geez! I guess I avoided hearing about that drama., or maybe I've forgotten. I was around back then. 

Hmmm.  Maybe your memory is as bad as mine. 

Or maybe as bad as GEEzusWalks?  :baiting:

18 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Hmmm.  Maybe your memory is as bad as mine. 

Or maybe as bad as GEEzusWalks?  :baiting:

Nah. 

I was too busy looking for mint Spawn books back then. No time to read those sort of epic threads. :screwy:

Edited by newshane

We've had some....interesting....board members in my 15 years here. The former police officer turned serial rapist was the most disturbing. 

4 minutes ago, october said:

We've had some....interesting....board members in my 15 years here. The former police officer turned serial rapist was the most disturbing. 

Wasn't that romn?  Very shocking and disturbing.

Their house is the backdrop for the photo I posted, and the couple is hiding out in there somewhere. 

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

Wasn't that romn?  Very shocking and disturbing.

10 minutes ago, paperheart said:

i thought it was ronm but i'm sure you're right

Actually, I think you're right.  Makes ,more sense, too.

And I’m late to the blanket party but wanted to chime in anyway.

I think the situation sounds extremely fishy based on the circumstances. That said, I recently relisted a $15 book on ebay and when it sold I couldn’t find it anywhere. It wasn’t with the other issues of the same title I was selling. I couldn’t find it misfiled in any other boxes. I have no record of selling it on the Boards. I have no record of selling it on ebay. (I thought I may have sold it after the initial listing to an ebayer in a multiple book deal, but still have no paper trail.) While the details of the story here sound awful suspicious, it is possible to lose, misplace or,lose track of a book.

To top it off, the buyer who wanted it was incredibly obnoxious. I have 1-day handling and immediately sent them an apology, and they flipped out, got angry, said it was a huge inconvenience and problem (even though at any given time there’s about 2 dozen copies listed) and left me a neutral, my first in 20 years on ebay. I suppose I should consider myself lucky I didn’t get negged.

There are three tells to me that this is a scam by the seller.

1) he uses the term "we" when referring to himself.  is it just me, or does every scumbag on these boards refer to themselves in this manner.

2) his name involves Jesus.  Seems that anyone who names themselves in a religious manner is usually trying to do so to do people into thinking that they are a decent person.  I know I know, it's probably more a reference to Kanye, but the principle still stands.

3) he refunded the money immediately without spending much time to look for the book. This being the only real serious point of my post, it's very telling. If I were in his shoes I would tear my house apart for days before I sent the money back. I would let the seller know that I was doing so. And ultimately if I was unable to find the book after an intensive search I would then, and only then, refund the money.  on the other hand, if I was trying to Welch out of a sale, I would just refund the money and say I can't find the book.

Edited by buttock