• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for regulars/Superman collectors
1 1

22 posts in this topic

can anyone tell me If this added any value to these comics or makes them more rare.

I have 2 Superman #298 and #299 and they Have the Mark Jewelers advertisements in them...

I looked at a few price guides and didnt see any extra value but I just wanted to ask some people more knowledgeable

thanks to anyone who responds

20190610_184545.jpg

20190610_184601.jpg

8 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

can anyone tell me If this added any value to these comics or makes them more rare.

I have 2 Superman #298 and #299 and they Have the Mark Jewelers advertisements in them...

I looked at a few price guides and didnt see any extra value but I just wanted to ask some people more knowledgeable

thanks to anyone who responds

20190610_184545.jpg

20190610_184601.jpg

LOL   I am the one who bought from you.   The truth is that it can be hard to say whether or not they add much value.  A good rule of thumb is that it might help a comic book to sell if it has the insert, and in general you could say they are worth 10 to 20% more, especially when in high grade.   Not so much in low grade.  But so few people collect them.  I would always be happy to pay double guide but only rarely do I get competition when buying them because only a couple people care about them.   For ones I already have in my collection, I've seen them sit on ebay for years at a 20% premium and never sell.

To me, it is a crazy and fun obsession to find them all.   I spotted yours because of the star stamp on the cover.   If you google "Kirk Ticknor Mark Jewelers" you will see an in-depth article I wrote about them.

I have a bunch of spare jeweler issues, and would gladly trade a bunch of them for any that I do not have.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

This place is a :censored:-show, but, "we need you Cap".

exactly.  I was gunna stay back in time with Peggy Carter but then said wait heroes dont put their needs before others-

Actually, I disagree with some of the comments about a the value increase in low-grade.  The increase is actually MORE significant in low-grade IMO.  For a low-grade regular copy, it might be tough to even get a quarter, but for a low-grade Mark Jeweler's there's a decent chance you'd get a dollar.  That's 400% more.

2 minutes ago, revat said:

Actually, I disagree with some of the comments about a the value increase in low-grade.  The increase is actually MORE significant in low-grade IMO.  For a low-grade regular copy, it might be tough to even get a quarter, but for a low-grade Mark Jeweler's there's a decent chance you'd get a dollar.  That's 400% more.

Well, then. I stand corrected. ;)

3 hours ago, revat said:

Good point Revat.   There are some low-grade issues that would not sell unless they had the jeweler insert or unless they were sold for just a few cents. 

On 6/11/2019 at 5:18 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

Good point Revat.   There are some low-grade issues that would not sell unless they had the jeweler insert or unless they were sold for just a few cents. 

Low grade issues with the inserts ARE more likely to sell vs. those without.  The local store here have people who search from them in the dollar boxes regularly according to the owner.  But I'm in an area where MJI inserts can be found more easily than other regions.

Jim

I look at these inserts and those who collect them in the same light as those who seek out all the price variant issues or the books that have the marvel value stamps. It is cool that people get into this type of stuff. Those threads are really interesting - even the ones where some have gone to the Nth degree of investigating all the wrinkles involved. Personally-- I am happy with any issue of the comic but every now and then I find a MJI or price variant (well once for the price variant that fit my collecting needs DD 132). It is nice to have an example of what folks are talking about - almost like a show and tell item from when we were kids. Collecting this stuff is not for everyone but I respect those who are into it--- whatever people find enjoyable should be celebrated.

I think I read the "article" @Cpt Kirk referenced but am not sure (it was on another message forum). In it he mentioned other types of inserts with one I noticed was not mentioned-- the Bubblicious insert. It was one of those I found in my Thor collection (issue 336). That might have been widely distributed but it seemed like an oddball to most on the thread. I mentioned it in the main MJI thread with pictures etc.

These ads are part of the comic history. But the impact they make on perceived values of books, at least in my thinking, is mostly negligible short of being an avid collector or having a nose bleed high grade copy - which may just be from the condition more so than the insert itself (opinions vary). I do agree that low grade versions might get more though but we are talking very small values- jumping the quarter box to the dollar bin - and who gets too excited about that? The reason someone might pick that up sort of fits into my idea of having a representative copy. 

16 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I look at these inserts and those who collect them in the same light as those who seek out all the price variant issues or the books that have the marvel value stamps. It is cool that people get into this type of stuff. Those threads are really interesting - even the ones where some have gone to the Nth degree of investigating all the wrinkles involved. Personally-- I am happy with any issue of the comic but every now and then I find a MJI or price variant (well once for the price variant that fit my collecting needs DD 132). It is nice to have an example of what folks are talking about - almost like a show and tell item from when we were kids. Collecting this stuff is not for everyone but I respect those who are into it--- whatever people find enjoyable should be celebrated.

I think I read the "article" @Cpt Kirk referenced but am not sure (it was on another message forum). In it he mentioned other types of inserts with one I noticed was not mentioned-- the Bubblicious insert. It was one of those I found in my Thor collection (issue 336). That might have been widely distributed but it seemed like an oddball to most on the thread. I mentioned it in the main MJI thread with pictures etc.

These ads are part of the comic history. But the impact they make on perceived values of books, at least in my thinking, is mostly negligible short of being an avid collector or having a nose bleed high grade copy - which may just be from the condition more so than the insert itself (opinions vary). I do agree that low grade versions might get more though but we are talking very small values- jumping the quarter box to the dollar bin - and who gets too excited about that? The reason someone might pick that up sort of fits into my idea of having a representative copy. 

Thanks for the thoughtful post.  

For me, the pursuit of these variants has always been an academic pursuit and never for profit.  For instance, Mark Jeweler variants.  There is very little documentation out there about them, so I wanted to find them all and record it for posterity.   Of the 692 jeweler variants that I'm looking for in Batman, Detective, Superman, Action and JLA, I've been able to find all but 25 of them.   And I believe over time I will be able to say that some of those issues never received the insert.

It feels like an Easter egg hunt whenever I walk into a shop in some city that I've never been to before.   And you will usually see parts of the city that you would not otherwise see if you go looking for comic books in a new city.  

Here's the jeweler article I wrote, if you want to learn more.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 6/15/2019 at 9:16 PM, 01TheDude said:

The difference with the Bubblicious, or Atari, inserts and MJI of NDS inserts is the ads were in ALL comics. MJI and ND inserts were only in comics available through the military distribution system. So some comics have them and others do not. That's why you don't hear a lot about them.

Jim

52 minutes ago, awe4one said:

The difference with the Bubblicious, or Atari, inserts and MJI of NDS inserts is the ads were in ALL comics.

Incorrect. Most inserts were (at least meant to be) in all copies, but some were seemingly randomly added and some were meant only for specific distribution channels.