• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book tampered? eBay

82 posts in this topic

Ok so I sold 2 books for the first time. I bought the two books way back from a respectable seller here on the boards. 1 sale went through perfect. The other one I assumed was good but the one the buyer contacted me a month later accusing the book was tampered. Please see pics and tell me if justified. I gave the buyer a complete refund but I would wanna re-list the item but if it really was tampered I don’t wanna sell something like that. I am in no way an expert. I only have a handful of cgc comics. 

CC7DAAA5-F157-4D00-B98F-9D7F6FC67A33.jpeg

8049ED4C-B2AC-4C6E-ACB2-CA82CCE713F0.jpeg

97609EAC-B195-4ED9-AD64-BD855C3E17F6.jpeg

E04C941A-98CA-4F3D-AE64-F75A677B7979.jpeg

A0CFBE41-CE64-4B70-9314-D04ECE706507.jpeg

EACEA0B7-3B51-40A5-BEA3-0A4DD16AA7B0.jpeg

Just google how to crack a CGC slab.  If someone managed to switch out a comic and only left a few small tool marks he’s pretty impressive.  That said my guess is the first pic is the real reason, customer was unhappy with the corner.

from the slab cracking videos that I have seen the case would show huge cracks on the side they cracked out and to slide that comic out and a different one in and label without scratching it or having half the slab open is extremely hard to do and very impressive if they can. 

Also the huge cracks I've seen were n the new slabs where they sealed the sides so it chips and splinters when trying to open but on the older slabs I believe they were only the 4 corners so there is a possibility that if this was a older slab it could of been popped I would ask CGC to take a look and see what they think. But I think your slab is a newer one so I think your good on the tampering. 

Edited by Krishosein
saw pic of the PQ which i believe is where its on the new slabs

I have numerous slabs exactly like this and from what it sounds you've just dealt with an over-the-top OCD buyer.  I know you can't but I'd love to know the eBay ID or username of the person who bought that from you so I could save myself from the same hassle of dealing with them that you just had.  I love how he pointed out the 'tool marks' on the exterior of the case, as if someone would ever scrape the outside of a slab to 'tamper' with it. SMH 

"Yep, we figured out a way to swap out the books and we're gonna do it by scratching the outside of the case!!!" :roflmao:

what is that glue stuff tho?

I seem to recall a thread where some guy opened the cases and about one out of 10 was opened leaving absolutely no marks whatsoever.

5 hours ago, DomUga said:

I figured the same. I guess he just didn’t like the book. 

Is the buyer the one who wrote that the book "wasn't consistent with a 9.9 grade"? It's ok to disagree with CGC's grade...but there's much too much running to claim "scam!", when it's simply a matter of not agreeing with the grade. And, if that Chew #1 is otherwise perfect, that subtle damage is not enough to disqualify it from a 9.9 grade.

7 minutes ago, DomUga said:

Yup those pics came from the buyer. I guess he is OC when it comes to buying. I’m just gonna re-list and hope he doesn’t buy it. I have a bunch of 9.8s and this book looks way nicer. 

Thanks all for the feedback. 

I would agree with all as far as the sanctity of the CGC slab. The only thing troubling is that you're able to scrape out part of a glue or putty-like substance from between the two halves of the slab. There shouldn't be anything there that you're able to remove as you did.

21 minutes ago, DomUga said:

Yup those pics came from the buyer. I guess he is OC when it comes to buying. I’m just gonna re-list and hope he doesn’t buy it. I have a bunch of 9.8s and this book looks way nicer. 

Thanks all for the feedback. 

Is this a crack in the post? Looks like it. It's the corner where you can scrape a substance out of the separation between slab halves.

slab.jpg

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Is this a crack in the post? Looks like it. It's the corner where you can scrape a substance out of the separation between slab halves.

slab.jpg

Does CGC indeed use a glue?

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

Absolutely not, as far as my understanding goes.

So WUT is that glue substance the buyer scraped off???

1 minute ago, kav said:

So WUT is that glue substance the buyer scraped off???

Obviously some type of adherent/sealant. The post and/or plastic immediately surrounding the post at the corner with that substance appears to be cracked internally.

Edited by James J Johnson

Just now, James J Johnson said:

In

If there's glue or any type of adhesive used, it was not part of the slabbing process.

So indeed the glue is indicative of the slab was tampered with?