• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book tampered? eBay

82 posts in this topic

Just now, James J Johnson said:

Obviously some type of adherent/sealant.

We call that GLUE

Just now, The Lions Den said:

As far as I know, glue has never been used as part of the slabbing process...

But James said adherent sealant-

2 minutes ago, kav said:

So indeed the glue is indicative of the slab was tampered with?

Unless it's an amazing coincidence that the corner with a post and surrounding plastic that appears to be cracked is the corner where that substance is located. To me, looks like the post at that corner was breeched, and then later sealed shut using the adherent.

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

Unless it's an amazing coincidence that the corner with a post and surrounding plastic that appears to be cracked is the corner where that substance is located. To me, looks like the post at that corner was breeched, and then later sealed shut using the adherent.

This was exactly my thought and why I was baffled when everyone seemed to dismiss any kind of tampering.

If the OP could give us better pictures of that corner with the "unknown substance"  that would be helpful.

I would be concerned that the case was indeed cracked and the labels switched? then to cover the tracks they tried to adhere the corner together.

Is there any signs of the residue anywhere else by chances?

I've seen numerous old style slabs look just like this one.  My main ? would be, why would anyone even want to switch out a label???  It's not like a seller could re-sub the same book without the case and retain a 9.9 grade.  My assumption would be that old SA books that are thousands of $ between grades are more of a target for the 'switch' that the buyer is claiming and not a 9.9 of a modern (especially when if whoever 'did' what they're being accused of swapped out the 9.9 book for a lesser quality one and re-used the case).  This just makes no sense to me.  I can see the concern over older books of high value but not the book in question.

But yes, if the OP could provide more pics of the unknown substance that would be very helpful!

3 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

I've seen numerous old style slabs look just like this one.  My main ? would be, why would anyone even want to switch out a label???  It's not like a seller could re-sub the same book without the case and retain a 9.9 grade.  My assumption would be that old SA books that are thousands of $ between grades are more of a target for the 'switch' that the buyer is claiming and not a 9.9 of a modern (especially when if whoever 'did' what they're being accused of swapped out the 9.9 book for a lesser quality one and re-used the case).  This just makes no sense to me.  I can see the concern over older books of high value but not the book in question.

But yes, if the OP could provide more pics of the unknown substance that would be very helpful!

Doesn't mean that whoever placed the substance there and cracked the post actually performed a switch of any kind. What started out as an attempt to tamper may have been aborted due to the person seeing noticeable damage after dislodging one corner.

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

CGC doesn't use any substance at all, call it sealant, glue, paste, etc.. The slab is pressure sealed.

Then you are also of the mind we are seeing tampering here

At this point we need to back track this book to the seller who sold to OP for additional info-

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

An open and shut case. Literally.

slab.jpg

well played

31 minutes ago, kav said:
33 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

In

If there's glue or any type of adhesive used, it was not part of the slabbing process.

So indeed the glue is indicative of the slab was tampered with?

Could be the complaintive buyer put something sticky to initiate a return?

Not accusing, just saying he could have eaten a big Mac with to much sauce? "Hmmm is this a 9.9? Let me break out my pliers and a blowtorch and get midevil"

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Could be the complaintive buyer put something sticky to initiate a return?

Not accusing, just saying he could have eaten a big Mac with to much sauce? "Hmmm is this a 9.9? Let me break out my pliers and a blowtorch and get midevil"

But the glue/adherent/sealant was squished out from within-indicating that it was administered whilst the slab was in the open and ready state-

Edited by kav