• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CGC out of interest for most comic book stores?

134 posts in this topic

I live in Toronto,the biggest city in Canada,and one of the biggest cities in North Merica.

And there is three main comic book stores and some smaller collectibles around the way (Dont ask me where around the way is because I'm not good at giving directions)

So Paradise Comics

Silver Snail

The Beguiled

Are main ones

Red Nails 2 is a smaller one,but very good.

The only one that will trade Graded comics is Paradise.

The rest of them avoid it,and two arrogantly so,at all costs.

Outside of Paradise,Red Nail is the only one that will help you acquire graded comics if you request them.

What is going on,why do you think these other stores wont deal in graded?

Is this a traditional thing? Keepin' it real?

What's "arrogant" about running your business the way you want to..?

"Trading" in graded comics isn't a profitable branch for most comic book stores. CGC comics are a niche market. A good business doesn't allow product to sit on a shelf for a niche buyer to come along whose willing to pay the listed price.

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

What's "arrogant" about running your business the way you want to..?

"Trading" in graded comics isn't a profitable branch for most comic book stores. CGC comics are a niche market. A good business doesn't allow product to sit on a shelf for a niche buyer to come along whose willing to pay the listed price.

Actually Silver Snail has a back wall of consignment books that are mostly CGC 

Stores around here will send books to CGC or CBCS if it is a certain book (reputation for forgeries, unwitnessed signature, etc).  TMNT #1, Cerebus #1, Cry for Dawn #1 are usually ones that get sent down, especially in upper-mid to high grade.  Store owners aren't going to send every book down for grading because they would like to turn the books around quickly and use the money to buy other collections or invest in other areas for their stores.

Most comic shop owners I have spoken to seem to have a distain for CGC, based on examples they have seen where they totally disagreed with the grading.  Some shop owners pride themselves on being strict or tough graders, when the goal  should actually be consistency from every grader.

Also, while grading silver age books from 50 years ago that are worth over $100 each makes sense, some comic shop owners (and others) really question why people are getting last month's issue of Batman graded and slabbed.  "Oooww, it's a slabbed 9.6 from 2019....yeah, we have 4 more just like it in the back issue bin for $5 each."

4 minutes ago, mec3437 said:

Stores around here will send books to CGC or CBCS if it is a certain book (reputation for forgeries, unwitnessed signature, etc).  TMNT #1, Cerebus #1, Cry for Dawn #1 are usually ones that get sent down, especially in upper-mid to high grade.  Store owners aren't going to send every book down for grading because they would like to turn the books around quickly and use the money to buy other collections or invest in other areas for their stores.

Oh I agree

Slab keys

Leave runs for raws,totally makes sense.

1 minute ago, Phicks said:

Most comic shop owners I have spoken to seem to have a distain for CGC, based on examples they have seen where they totally disagreed with the grading.  Some shop owners pride themselves on being strict or tough graders, when the goal  should actually be consistency from every grader.

Also, while grading silver age books from 50 years ago that are worth over $100 each makes sense, some comic shop owners (and others) really question why people are getting last month's issue of Batman graded and slabbed.  "Oooww, it's a slabbed 9.6 from 2019....yeah, we have 4 more just like it in the back issue bin for $5 each."

That's when the grade becomes more valuable than the actual comic.

Maybe there should be a rule instead of a free for all.

People are thinking they are special because they got a rando comic graded.

10 minutes ago, mec3437 said:

Building on this, one of my LCS's will only send in for really high end books ie X-men #1 or FF #1, and will also only send in if there is distributor spray on lower books like ASM #129 so that no one can argue market grade... etc.

6 minutes ago, Phicks said:

Furthermore the same LCS disputes CGC grading consistency, as they've sent in different grades multiple times and it came back different than their own grading or it was the same book that "changed in grade"..... 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Just now, romanheart said:

Is Silver Snail still on Queen St? If so, they would be one of the last to remain in such a high rent area.

Silver Snail is on Yonge right beside five guys and a burger,so you can help yourself to a greasy burger than go read an Eternals 1 in near mintlol

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Another LCS will take in raw's, price them, if they're high end and don't sell quickly will then send to CGC to get top dollar for their comic

I've noticed,more on Ebay, but that they grade the comics themselves and than price it as though it's already in the slab.

I notice there is some pretty reputable sites like

GPA

And

Gocollect

That have pricing for the grades

But what price guides are used for raws nowadays?

Edited by Hollywood1892
Incomplete

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

I'm sure just sold ebay listings mixed with a percentage of estimated grade/slab sales...

Most LCS's still use Overstreet to price when they buy from a customer, usually about 60% of guide, so they may use this to price when there are not many sales...

As others have stated, one of the stores in this area will send in the mega keys just so there is no dispute in the condition and his asking price.  I think in the last year since I've been back from deployment, he's sent down Fantastic Four #1, 48, 49, 50, and 52, TMNT #1, Hulk #1 and 2, All Star Comics #8, etc.  

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

They use Overstreet and ebay.

5 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Silver Snail is on Yonge right beside five guys and a burger,so you can help yourself to a greasy burger than go read an Eternals 1 in near mintlol

I remember the day when the 3 greatest stores were on Queen but they all had to close shop there. Good times.

I think LCSs have a chance now with retail being so bad but the price for a book is so costly and you get what you want online without the trek to the store.

I wish my kids could experience the fun but they have a greater time at cons.

7 minutes ago, romanheart said:

I remember the day when the 3 greatest stores were on Queen but they all had to close shop there. Good times.

I think LCSs have a chance now with retail being so bad but the price for a book is so costly and you get what you want online without the trek to the store.

I wish my kids could experience the fun but they have a greater time at cons.

Do you remember Legends of the game?

Whatever happened to that place?

Ebay and social media platforms are definetly pricing out LCS.

Cons have everything too

TCBS is bi monthly.

Edited by Hollywood1892
Incomplete