• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CGC out of interest for most comic book stores?

134 posts in this topic

I don't think the lcs in my area get a ton of high grade keys in stock so the odds of them sending books in to be graded are rare.  They also appear to not want to lock up that much capital for the time it takes to get books graded.  If they buy a book for $500 they are more then happy to get $800 in a few days then $1,100 for the graded book after a couple months.  I've got 5 nice stores with a half hour of my house and I can't think of a time any of them have had slabs up for sale.

14 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Most LCS's still use Overstreet to price when they buy from a customer, usually about 60% of guide, so they may use this to price when there are not many sales...

Was at a comic store I don't usually buy from, and found an unpriced book with no bag/board sitting in a stack of comics. (it was Shazam! 27) I figured the owner would give it to me for $1-$5 as it wasn't in the best grade, and hadn't even been priced. The owner then proceeds to look the book up on eBay for 10 mins, before slapping a $25 price tag on the book!

After that I decided I'd go back to my regular comic store where the guy uses an outdated 2016 OSPG to value his books.

Edited by HuddyBee

Just now, HuddyBee said:

Was at a comic store I don't usually buy from, and found an unpriced book with no bag/board sitting in a stack of comics. (it was Shazam! 27) I figured the owner would give it to me for $1-$5 as it wasn't in the best grade, and hadn't even been priced. The owner then proceeds to look the book up on eBay for 10 mins, before slapping a $25 price tag on the book!

After that I decided I'd go back to my regular comic store where the guy uses a 2016 OSPG to value his books.

Something is happening!!!

Something is happening!

The floor is shaking!

Go to the windows 

Aaaah

Crash!:bump:

7 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Do you remember Legends of the game?

Whatever happened to that place?

Ebay and social media platforms are definetly pricing out LCS.

Cons have everything too

TCBS is bi monthly.

That store doesn't ring a bell.

I remember Grey L(R)egion, Silver Snail, and another store that escapes my memory. SS was the worse of the three. They had the quantity but not the quality. Rent back in the day was around $4k for a tiny store. I don't know how shops are sticking it there without a gov backing or a reduced lease.

2 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

After that I decided I'd go back to my regular comic store where the guy uses an outdated 2016 OSPG to value his books.

I've had the LCS owner usually eye my purchases at the register lol of course he is the only one who is allowed to do store trades and comes in on Sunday's, so that's usually when I go in, kind of a just in case thing to get full service etc.

I've spoken to him and told him grades that I've got from his books, he always seems mystified ha. He greets me and is always trying to sell me his high end stuff, but when I purchase normal wall books, he is always wondering why I picked what I did, kind of annoying, like he is looking over my shoulder to see if I ripped him off :eek:  

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Outside of Paradise,Red Nail is the only one that will help you acquire graded comics if you request them.

What is going on,why do you think these other stores wont deal in graded?

Is this a traditional thing? Keepin' it real?

None of my local comic stores buy graded books, and only one that I know sells them. 

In one store where the owner uses a 2016 OSPG to value his books (mentioned above), the owner has been collecting for many years, and simply doesn't trust 3rd party grading. And for that reason only buys and sells raw, something I can definitely respect for a guy who 3rd party grading is fairly recent, ie. last 15-ish years.

Edited by HuddyBee

6 minutes ago, romanheart said:

That store doesn't ring a bell.

I remember Grey L(R)egion, Silver Snail, and another store that escapes my memory. SS was the worse of the three. They had the quantity but not the quality. Rent back in the day was around $4k for a tiny store. I don't know how shops are sticking it there without a gov backing or a reduced lease.

I find the owner of Silver Snail extremely rude. And they share a building with coffee shop in the front.

Legends of the game might've been on King

I cant remember. I heard they got into some controversy over authenticity and signatures,and if that's the case I can see why the lot they rented is boarded up.

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've had the LCS owner usually eye my purchases at the register lol of course he is the only one who is allowed to do store trades and comes in on Sunday's, so that's usually when I go in, kind of a just in case thing to get full service etc.

I've spoken to him and told him grades that I've got from his books, he always seems mystified ha. He greets me and is always trying to sell me his high end stuff, but when I purchase normal wall books, he is always wondering why I picked what I did, kind of annoying, like he is looking over my shoulder to see if I ripped him off :eek:  

Some owners are very touchy

Is he accurate in his opinions on keys?

6 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Some owners are very touchy

Is he accurate in his opinions on keys?

Mostly. There were a few that I pointed out etc. A few I could have gotten that were pre hype that I passed on because he wasn't confident enough to make them a wall book etc.

2 way street kind of thing... :foryou:

LCS usually don't want to lock up money in high dollar books that sit on their shelves to long periods of time and I am not sure if you've submitted books to CGC from Canada but shipping is a bit more expensive and TAT's are not the greatest so having a 1000$ locked up for 3-4 months just to make 15% more on a Slabbed book which is a chance as the grade can come in lower than what they expected can hurt profits where you can flip it Raw and let the buyer invest the time and money in slabbing it and leave a little meat on the bones if they want to slab it and flip it themselves. I see Gotham and a few other smaller shops usually only have graded books as consignments as then they aren't invested in the book someone else is and I've seen some graded books for $600 sit on the shelf for months before its sold. 600$ sitting on the shelf for months is not usually a good business model.

13 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

LCS usually don't want to lock up money in high dollar books that sit on their shelves to long periods of time and I am not sure if you've submitted books to CGC from Canada but shipping is a bit more expensive and TAT's are not the greatest so having a 1000$ locked up for 3-4 months just to make 15% more on a Slabbed book which is a chance as the grade can come in lower than what they expected can hurt profits where you can flip it Raw and let the buyer invest the time and money in slabbing it and leave a little meat on the bones if they want to slab it and flip it themselves. I see Gotham and a few other smaller shops usually only have graded books as consignments as then they aren't invested in the book someone else is and I've seen some graded books for $600 sit on the shelf for months before its sold. 600$ sitting on the shelf for months is not usually a good business model.

No, shelf comics are not a good business model 

I did buy an Ironman 1 raw from Silversnail that was originally $950 and it sat on the shelf until they lowered it to $750.

One store owner in my area decided to try his own grading system.  He made silly little, colored labels to denote NM, VF, etc.  Essentially tried selling raw books with his own certification.  That's a bad example.  No one was going to pay $200 for an X-Factor 24 that he was calling a NM.  His experiment didn't last long.

18 minutes ago, mec3437 said:

One store owner in my area decided to try his own grading system.  He made silly little, colored labels to denote NM, VF, etc.  Essentially tried selling raw books with his own certification.  That's a bad example.  No one was going to pay $200 for an X-Factor 24 that he was calling a NM.  His experiment didn't last long.

London?

Brick and mortar has been dying for over a decade.  I am not sure how some of them stay in business to be honest.  And this goes far beyond comics.  It is too easy to just load up a screen and click buy now on something you "think" you want.

7 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Do you have a website so I may peruse your products?

Unfortunately not directly.  But we have a small section on Bob Storms website (location needs to be set to Canada):

https://highgradecomics.com/article.php?dynamic=search_results&title_starts_with=&title_contains=&issue_numbers=&publisher_id=0&genre_id=0&age_id=0&pedigree_id=0&tp_grader_id=0&min_grade_index=0&max_grade_index=0&min_price=&max_price=&location_id=4&submit=Search

Edited by Iceman399
Added HGC