• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ebay.co.uk have just killed the comics section ;-(

36 posts in this topic

Can't believe what they have done over here, they have made it so that all the comics, graphic novels, manga are all in one section ;-(

So I can no longer just click on the silver age section or bronze age section, you have to scroll through all the modern stuff among other things as well!

What a joke, if you click on the silver age tab, it just keeps taking you around in circles. Was easy to use how it was before (up until this morning), newly listed, then I would pick between silver age, bronze age and browse.

Just now, blazingbob said:

You mean you missed the Com-exit notification?  Boris and Nigel have been making announcements all over the BBC about it

I know I voted for Com-exit.  I'm tired of subsidizing the collecting habits of those all the other ebay users.  Wait.... what? this actually isolates us and gives us less rights and choices, making everything take longer and makes shipping cost more? 

1 minute ago, revat said:

I know I voted for Com-exit.  I'm tired of subsidizing the collecting habits of those all the other ebay users.  Wait.... what? this actually isolates us and gives us less rights and choices, making everything take longer and makes shipping cost more? 

Yes, but we'll have £350M a week more to spend on backing boards. 

Astounding. Without any announcement all listings lumped into one category American Comics.

I see that if you choose genre e.g. "superheroes" then you can drill down to golden age, silver age etc by way of "more refinements". No way of browsing all genres of any age.

Killed it for me.

15 hours ago, mikeyc67 said:

Astounding. Without any announcement all listings lumped into one category American Comics.

I see that if you choose genre e.g. "superheroes" then you can drill down to golden age, silver age etc by way of "more refinements". No way of browsing all genres of any age.

Killed it for me.

What is it with ebay? I wouldn't be without it, as it's almost singularly responsible for the majority of my research. But every change, every time, is a step backwards. Every tinker is a stinker. Let's hope this is a temporary step or a mistake of some kind. 

On 6/11/2019 at 4:20 PM, herc2000 said:

Can't believe what they have done over here, they have made it so that all the comics, graphic novels, manga are all in one section ;-(

So I can no longer just click on the silver age section or bronze age section, you have to scroll through all the modern stuff among other things as well!

What a joke, if you click on the silver age tab, it just keeps taking you around in circles. Was easy to use how it was before (up until this morning), newly listed, then I would pick between silver age, bronze age and browse.

Thought that was just me - can't figure out why they need to continually refine the system for its own sake.

Maybe they wants less deals, or maybe No Deal. :whatthe:

Edited by goldust40

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

What is it with ebay? I wouldn't be without it, as it's almost singularly responsible for the majority of my research. But every change, every time, is a step backwards. Every tinker is a stinker. Let's hope this is a temporary step or a mistake of some kind. 

Usually their methodology involves making it impossible for anyone to datamine anything, although this latest move is just contemptuous, really.

5 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

Usually their methodology involves making it impossible for anyone to datamine anything, although this latest move is just contemptuous, really.

Indeed. It's getting harder and harder to find what you want lately. There were always occasions where books wouldn't show up in searches but it seems to be much worse now. If someone posts a listing called "Dog Pot Yoghurt", I expect that to come up if I search for "Dog Pot Yoghurt" in 'All Categories', whether they posted it in the Yoghurt category or Fish Fingers category. An exact wording title match should always appear regardless. And surely, they'd get more sales if it did?

16 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

Thought that was just me - can't figure out why they need to continually refine the system for its own sake.

Who let Noel Edmonds in?

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
20 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

Who let Noel Edmonds in?

:tonofbricks:

9 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
20 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

Indeed. It's getting harder and harder to find what you want lately. There were always occasions where books wouldn't show up in searches but it seems to be much worse now. If someone posts a listing called "Dog Pot Yoghurt", I expect that to come up if I search for "Dog Pot Yoghurt" in 'All Categories', whether they posted it in the Yoghurt category or Fish Fingers category. An exact wording title match should always appear regardless. And surely, they'd get more sales if it did?

Dog Pot Yoghurt - great series! Although I favour the Sanskrit variants.

As I said, it's refinement for the sake of it. Whether the move is counter-intuitive is beside the point, as it's all about "progress".

Try and follow this logic.

I'm searching for "Charlton Comic", starting point 'All Categories' in eBay.co.uk:

1.thumb.PNG.ef958f16685b63c84d0dd1835c101b1e.PNG

Type in "Charlton Comic" (All Categories):

2.thumb.PNG.782ae03d352011af98459ab8ca6974eb.PNG

Press 'search'.

403 results appear but in the category 'US Comics', which I didn't ask for:

3.thumb.PNG.df5641c683c0202b38896bcaac8f0a8c.PNG

Change the category manually to "Books, Comics Magazines':

4.thumb.PNG.ad2bf105ee9475bef564819be21459ad.PNG

I now have 2,523 results (all UK only): 

5.thumb.PNG.f3e3af802f19a25b99e486db8edc2e7d.PNG

Two questions:

1. How is that in any way helpful?
  2. Why am I searching for Charlton Comics?

Just now, goldust40 said:

If Gandhi or his descendants collect comics, which I assume they do, I would say no.

Yeah. First dead bloke I could think of. 

1 minute ago, goldust40 said:

A noble effort.

It was either him or Herc, who must himself be dead judging by his complete and total failure to return to and comment on the many reactions to his thread!