• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please Grade my Baker, any experts on St. Johns and trimming?

11 posts in this topic

Just got this book,

The book is quite a bit shorter then existing samples, but also a little wider too.

This book's edges look right to me, but I'm not an expert. 

There appears to be size variance in the golden age St. Johns books.

Just wondering what the grade might be, but more interested if there will be trimming found ? 

included a couple graded for reference.

Any opinions appreciated

thanks, Eric 

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

Edited by Changer

16 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I don't see the "problem".  Looks like a clean example to me.  A rare "Cover Date" variant!!

Grade 4.5-5.0... maybe?

was just surprised how short the book was, but then noticed that these other books vary in width and height.

As a general question, weren't all these thick comics made out of remaindered comics trimmed very slightly? ... i.e. they took four normal coverless comics, wrapped the cover around and trimmed them flush?

8 minutes ago, Point Five said:

As a general question, weren't all these thick comics made out of remaindered comics trimmed very slightly? ... i.e. they took four normal coverless comics, wrapped the cover around and trimmed them flush?

Makes sense to me...

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

I never found it to be that slight even...maybe the variability of the combinations of issues combined with St. John's already less than stellar printing quality led to miscuts and shorter issues. I have to take a look at my rebound St. John books to see if they have some variation too...

45 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

I never found it to be that slight even...maybe the variability of the combinations of issues combined with St. John's already less than stellar printing quality led to miscuts and shorter issues. I have to take a look at my rebound St. John books to see if they have some variation too...

Yes, some publishers were notorious for having poor manufacturing standards...

And of course, the kids buying comics back then didn't care much, either. I distinctly remember folding an early Vampirella magazine in half (I'm pretty sure it was #6) and putting it in my back pocket before riding over to a friend's house on my bicycle. But for 50 cents, so what?  (shrug)