• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink/Connect/Heritage threads - where do they belong?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Don’t all threads about ComicLink, ComicConnect auctions etc such as this, really belong in the “Comics Market - Sales Advertising (eBay, Dealers, etc)” category?  Their proliferation in other areas has always struck me as a double standard.

Edited by Heronext

7 minutes ago, Heronext said:

Don’t all threads about ComicLink, ComicConnect auctions etc such as this, really belong in the “Comics Market - Sales Advertising (eBay, Dealers, etc)” category?  Their proliferation in other areas has always struck me as a double standard.

In the context of this thread, the auction is being discusses along with auction hammer prices guesses, etc.  Since it isn't an ad for the auction directly, they have always been allowed.

Just now, batman_fan said:

In the context of this thread, the auction is being discusses along with auction hammer prices guesses, etc.  Since it isn't an ad for the auction directly, they have always been allowed.

+!

They are generally about the interest of the community and as such I agree that they belong in the main forum areas.

Appreciate the viewpoints.  But if in said thread I post “here’s a link to an interesting book”, and I do that on behalf of a friend who consigned said book, how is that different from someone posting their eBay listings in Comics General?

They might generate publicity but they are not ads in any way as they seek to generate discussion among board members interested in the hobby. I don't buy on most of these auctions and certainly do not sell on them but have enjoyed the discussions often.

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

If you think they don't belong, report it to the mods and tell them why you think it doesn't belong.

+1 again! You killin' it tonight! Short, sweet and to the point.

Edited by Bird

Just now, batman_fan said:

If you think they don't belong, report it to the mods and tell them why you think it doesn't belong.

Good suggestion, thanks.  I was also curious if any members could explain why they were any different.  Why we allow “advertising” in non- advertising areas for some selling venues & not others. 

42 minutes ago, Bird said:

They might generate publicity but they are not ads in any way as they seek to generate discussion among board members interested in the hobby. I don't buy on most of these auctions and certainly do not sell on them but have enjoyed the discussions often.

+1 again! You killin' it tonight! Short, sweet and to the point.

I am going to take the long point.

Ok @Heronext I will throw in my 2 cents. 

I concede that it is very possible for someone to pimp their own books in a monthly auction.  However most of us do not that.  We comment on the books being sold, celebrate wins, and discuss why the books or art went for what it did.  Take the Gold section for example.  You will find a discussion thread whenever Heritage has one of their premier auctions or list something that makes that old cartoon wolf jump out of his table and his eyes fly out of his face while he makes an awooga sound. While the, ahem, "established" gentlemen are talking about and reflecting on the listing in gold, there is another listing for the same auction over in Original Art.  Those are the ballers.  They are doing the same thing and talking about the art there.  That is where you might (and I do say that hesitantly) MIGHT find one or two guys discussing pieces that they themselves are bringing to market since it is 1 to 1.   The full purpose of those threads is just to sit back and chat about the auction in progress as it unfolds with a group of like minded guys and gals that spend way too much money on needless stuff. 

However... 

If you truly want to get rid of threads that are thinly disguised as avenues outside of the proper advertising area of the boards for members to pimp their own goods... check this out: 

EDIT: I want to clarify that Andy / Thirdgreenham is as honorable guy as they come and just because he initiated the thread does not mean he is in any way shape or form talking about books he owns and trying to get them to go up in value.  There is a lot of other interesting cats in that thread that do that. 

Edited by Buzzetta

5 hours ago, batman_fan said:
5 hours ago, Heronext said:

But they are essentially ads for the auctions

Well, if this doesn't work and you really don't like these so-called "ads", the answer is rather simple.  :gossip:

:idea:  Simply don't click onto these threads and let everybody else enjoy themselves by talking albout all of these books which they are interested in.  (thumbsu

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if this doesn't work and you really don't like these so-called "ads", the answer is rather simple.  :gossip:

:idea:  Simply don't click onto these threads and let everybody else enjoy themselves by talking albout all of these books which they are interested in.  (thumbsu

This x 11ty billion.

You see a thread with dozens of pages and hundreds of replies, with zero hurt feelings, no hackles up, and everybody enjoying themselves discussing books they think are cool.

What's wrong with just minding your business and moving on?

5 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

This x 11ty billion.

You see a thread with dozens of pages and hundreds of replies, with zero hurt feelings, no hackles up, and everybody enjoying themselves discussing books they think are cool.

:rulez: :banana:

3 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

This x 11ty billion.

No issues with the content of the threads at all.  I enjoy reading them too.

Extending the logic, is it “advertising” to say “look at the book I won on eBay”?  How about “I snagged this sweet book off Bedrocks site”. How about “Joey did a great job pressing my book, looks great”. Should all post like these be banned?  I would say no. 

19 hours ago, goldust40 said:

They're the threads I've generally enjoyed reading the most over the last 16 years - they're fine where they are.

For rookies like me, these threads are great for learning as more experienced collectors sometimes provide context for books' trends over time. 

23 hours ago, goldust40 said:

They're the threads I've generally enjoyed reading the most over the years - they're fine where they are.

what he said

Edited by Gotham Kid