• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain Britain #1
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I have seen Captain Britain #1 (UK) receive a green label for missing the mask. I have also seen posts saying the mask was never attached to/inside the comic itself and was merely inserted "loose" between the pages.

In order to receive a blue/Universal label, does the mask indeed need to be attached inside or just included with the comic at the time of submission?

I have several captain Britain #1 that were purchased directly from the news stand that never even had a mask attached or inserted, does this mean I can never get a grade that doesnt say "incomplete " why would a loose item like this even be encapsulated in the book? movement of the loose item could possibly damage the interior of the book and potentially cause unseen harm?

I find this very surprising, and also unfair.

I know it is slightly off topic from Captain Britain #1, but what about the Lakeside tattoo in ASM #238? Would that also get a green label if the tattoo is missing?

On 7/2/2019 at 5:47 PM, AdrianC said:

I have several captain Britain #1 that were purchased directly from the news stand that never even had a mask attached or inserted, does this mean I can never get a grade that doesnt say "incomplete " why would a loose item like this even be encapsulated in the book? movement of the loose item could possibly damage the interior of the book and potentially cause unseen harm?

If you bought some new without masks, perhaps someone (most likely a kid) took all the masks from the ones you bought, resulting in you buying incomplete books from the newsstand?

wow this seems unreasonable by CGC to deem something you bought in good faith off a  newsstand was not what you were actually paying the money to the seller for, non suspecting you were actually being ripped off by retailer, mask should have been stapled to comic. If you want to be pedantic about this please see consumer laws in Britain it might help answer this issue debate with loose missing mask, I'm not 100 percent sure I'm right but something about this type of customers and consumer rights when you buy something new of a retailer ( no matter which retailer ) you expect for it to be complete and untouched, by what CGC are suggesting there may have been foul play somewhere, so someone should  take the onus for that, not the poor comic owner who now holds an incomplete issue ( loose mask placed inside of pages, missing! ) so gets a black mark (so to speak) against his future selling of this comic at the right grade for the correct price. seems iffy to me mate check it out.:rulez:rantrant sorry bout that i get worked up sometimes over them lording it over others who are actually just human beings like the rest of us  except they're probably more minted than most hmmf lol

Spoiler

On 7/14/2019 at 5:08 PM, Liza761 said:

wow this seems unreasonable by CGC to deem something you bought in good faith off a  newsstand was not what you were actually paying the money to the seller for, non suspecting you were actually being ripped off by retailer, mask should have been stapled to comic. If you want to be pedantic about this please see consumer laws in Britain it might help answer this issue debate with loose missing mask, I'm not 100 percent sure I'm right but something about this type of customers and consumer rights when you buy something new of a retailer ( no matter which retailer ) you expect for it to be complete and untouched, by what CGC are suggesting there may have been foul play somewhere, so someone should  take the onus for that, not the poor comic owner who now holds an incomplete issue ( loose mask placed inside of pages, missing! ) so gets a black mark (so to speak) against his future selling of this comic at the right grade for the correct price. seems iffy to me mate check it out.:rulez:rantrant sorry bout that i get worked up sometimes over them lording it over others who are actually just human beings like the rest of us  except they're probably more minted than most hmmf lol

Reveal hidden contents

What is your alternate proposal?  What are the benefits, what are the harms?  What precedents would it set?  What makes the most sense for a profit seeking company who is the gold standard of comic grading?

you say that the comic owner without glasses is a victim, but is it more fair to make the owner who has diligently kept the glasses for 40 years the victim?

Would you have Cgc judge the good faith intent of the original buyer or comic book shop/newsstand on an individual basis? A store by store basis? City by city? 40 years after the fact?

so in further researching this, several copies were sent to cgc for grading from the UK, the books were all white pages and looked better than most 9.2-9.6's we have seen, every copy sent in for grading came back green label 8.0 with an "incomplete " tag. this is very discouraging,  such a tremendous grade drop for missing a loose "gift" that does not affect the story in any way whatsoever.  are we grading the mask now too? I could understand a small downgrade for the missing mask but to fully knock an easy 9.2+ 3 or more grade points is highly discouraging. We WILL NOT be asking cgc to grade anymore of our captain Britain books as these are pristine copies that were placed in protective mylar sleeves upon purchase, in my opinion a small designation of "missing mask" and a singular grade drop is warranted.  also theres no consistency here, several books graded years ago are in blue labels with only a vague distinction "distributed with mask" on the label, this is very ambiguous, great we all know it was distributed with a free mask, it says so right on the cover, these blue kable books are in no way specific as to whether the mask is actually in the slab, just a small remark that it was something distributed with the book that's otherwise clearly stated on the cover of the book. Frustrating to no end, also since these gifts were not permanently attached what prevents someone from buying a mask 2ndhand and submitting it, theres no way to tell of it was the original or not. I remember the mask having some temporary adhesive that prevented the mask from remaining attached for an indefinite time, also we have seen several books ruined with pages stuck or discolored from leaving the mask inside. this is something that needs more attention and a better system for grading consistency.  nuff said

Following up on this, though it doesn’t seem CGC is replying anymore, I finally found my Captain Britain #1. 

Unfortunately, the old rubber has now adhered to the pages. Would CGC deduct for this, and if so, how much?

I have also added a photo of a “loose” mask with the rubberband still attached.  

32648DCF-0DE2-4C95-AE11-A3393F319C41.jpeg

D0D672E6-D85C-4D96-A829-F427552C8E05.jpeg

6FFB2483-4285-43B2-BF07-1005DE02A630.jpeg

1D305DB7-95D5-4ADE-ABA5-0D734D44EF3F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

I had one come back recently where there were stains/marks on the internal pages from the rubber band and I got a 9.8, can’t speak to the rubber band being adhered to the pages though....

Was this a Captain Britain or a different comic? Wondering if I put it in the freezer if the band will drop off. 

On 7/5/2019 at 8:36 PM, Crowman said:

I find this very surprising, and also unfair.

I know it is slightly off topic from Captain Britain #1, but what about the Lakeside tattoo in ASM #238? Would that also get a green label if the tattoo is missing?

I know it’s old news but bumping this thread because I can answer your question.

100% you will get the green label if your ASM 238 is missing the tattoo insert. The reason is that Marvel put on the cover that it was included and without the book is incomplete.

I have one copy with the insert and blue label and another copy without the insert and a green label.

Just now, ChrispyC66 said:

I know it’s old news but bumping this thread because I can answer your question.

100% you will get the green label if your ASM 238 is missing the tattoo insert. The reason is that Marvel put on the cover that it was included and without it the book is incomplete according to CGC.

I have one copy with the insert and blue label and another copy without the insert and a green label.