• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A gallery of detached centerfolds
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Detached centerfolds seem to be one of the harder aspects of a grade to account for so I'm always keeping an eye out for mid grade books with detached centerfolds.  Its obviously easier to derive an estimated cost for the defect if it occurs on a higher grade book.  This Marvel Mystery Comics 40 (Auction closes today on ComicConnect) would likely be an 8.0/8.5 if it weren't for the detached centerfold.  An 8.5 may seem high but the chip on the upper left corner won't detract much as I've seen it on other high grade GA books and is somewhat innocuous in this grade range.  So the cost for this detached centerfold is likely around 1.0/1.5 points.  The cost is proportionate to the grade so this is at the high end.

mar2.1858a.jpg

mar2.1858b.jpg

Edited by comicquant

7.0 universal blue label is about as high as you will see with a detached centerfold. If the book is graded numerically any higher with a detached centerfold, it's going to get a green, qualified label. It's entirely possible when this book was sent to CGC for grading that the submitter asked for a blue label and would take whatever grade reduction that would bring. 

My own personal perspective is that I see staple issues as among the least important. I've seen some really attractive 2.5-3.0's with detached covers for instance. The book pictured is a great looking 7.0, I'd be more bothered by the bit of glue that's being ignored. 

Edited by Tony S