• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does paint over spray affect the CGC grade ?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Over my brief new hobby of collecting comic books (silver age/ Bronze) I came across multiple books with some paint over spray here and there. Of course I understand why and how this happens but my question is - does CGC lower the grade of the book due to the over spray ? For example looking at a key issue, expensive book . it is graded very well at 9.2 . However has some over spray yet minor on it. Was that take into consideration when graded ? Would of book got a higher grade if not there ?  Or would book still grade 9.2 either way as the over spray is acceptable ?  Thanks  

Here's what I can tell you: The overspray was almost certainly taken into consideration when arriving at the final grade, but I think CGC has loosened it's stance a bit on the severity of downgrading for it. Back in the earlier days of CGC grading, books were often hammered pretty hard for overspray, which I've always felt was a bit unnecessary. To me, it's part of the history of the book. A little bit of ink on the edge of a book shouldn't be a big deal. And as long as it doesn't bother you, there's no reason not to pursue it...  :foryou:

I was under the impression that, as long as the front and back covers had no more than a very small amount of overspray, and the book wasn't in the NM/M territory, CGC didn't deduct from the numerical grade.

TOS97cgc.thumb.jpg.75992b4e736d8d76384662f2d4054140.jpg X-Men17-1-2.thumb.JPG.5c67373a815df793cf72724dd0b8fd19.JPG

Edited by namisgr

That seems to be the current line of thinking, but much to my dismay, it wasn't always so. 

Back in the olden days, there were some very interesting discussions concerning distro ink. And I do remember times when books would get hit pretty hard for relatively small amounts of it. 

The examples you've shown perfectly illustrate the amount of ink that is (and should be) acceptable for high grade books. And I would agree with you completely that a small amount of ink as shown on the examples above shouldn't have any effect on an otherwise Near Mint book...

I would think that it should have an effect on the grade. It didn’t leave the printing plant that way. All givens the same say both grade at say 9.4. One has spray and one doesn’t, which copy would you rather have? It isn’t resto but it also isn’t a production error. 

I have the same problem with mid wrapped covers but that is another discussion...

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

I would think that it should have an effect on the grade. It didn’t leave the printing plant that way. All givens the same say both grade at say 9.4. One has spray and one doesn’t, which copy would you rather have? It isn’t resto but it also isn’t a production error. 

I have the same problem with mid wrapped covers but that is another discussion...

It's a little different because of distribution "SOP". I agree that it should negatively impact the grade, but, I also understand why CGC does not punish with lower grades for something very common depending on the age in which they were sold.