• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Atari 2600 experts on here?

19 posts in this topic

Bought this back in the early 2000s, and have wondered whether or not the shrink-wrap was factory original ever since.  I've been skeptical since I bought it, because the front and back covers of the box are reversed.

Production variant or careless scammer?

wlebN4N.jpg

T94r5dG.jpg?1

Any help would be appreciated:foryou:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

18 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

because the front and back covers of the box are reversed.

What do you mean by this?

The shrinkwrap also looks pretty similar to one that is graded here - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spider-Man-Atari-2600-New-Sealed-Mint-GOLD-Spiderman-VGA-85/264279056323?epid=170239242&hash=item3d88425fc3:g:1VMAAOSwYYpb3mNh

This box was a two part box, being a bottom tray that held the game, and the top, so it looks like the bottom was just assembled upside down before it was shrink-wrapped. It's not, like, printed upside down or anything. I don't know if this is considered an "error" though, or just an curiosity of the assembly process.

5 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

This box was a two part box, being a bottom tray that held the game, and the top, so it looks like the bottom was just assembled upside down before it was shrink-wrapped. It's not, like, printed upside down or anything. I don't know if this is considered an "error" though, or just an curiosity of the assembly process.

I'm curious if this has been known to happen.  I have no idea.  The 2 parts of the box being reversed triggers a red flag for me, and makes me think the game was resealed at a later date.

I'd lean towards legit because it was low value when you bought it, and as someone else said, the wrap looks good, but I just don't know on this title.

Just because somebody put the box together upside down doesn't make it a variant though.    Just a mistake by some low paid assembly line work that didn't get caught by QC.  

Edited by Bronty

15 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I'd lean towards legit because it was low value when you bought it, and as someone else said, the wrap looks good, but I just don't know on this title.

Just because somebody put the box together upside down doesn't make it a variant though.    Just a mistake by some low paid assembly line work that didn't get caught by QC.  

I wasn’t trying to claim variant, but more just trying to figure out if the seal is legit.

I was an Atari 2600 expert over 45 years ago.   I think the boxes lasted about 5 minutes whenever we got a new game.

We had the Superman game but not the Spider-Man one.

Before the Atari we had a game system which had different colored plastic sheets that held onto the TV by static cling.  Every game with basically a variation of pong.  The green one would be tennis, the white one would be hockey etc

2 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I wasn’t trying to claim variant, but more just trying to figure out if the seal is legit.

If someone was trying to get it over on you they are doing a really stellar job. 

I am leaning on that being a legitimate wrap and was just a goof at the factory.  The video @Bronty provided showed the Nintendo packaging and I would imagine that was better than Atari was to be fair.

To make myself feel more at ease about my answers, I have reached out to a buddy of mine that owns a used game store to see what he thinks.  I have personally seen some cool factory sealed games in his shop before.  Will let you know what he says. :)

4 minutes ago, FineCollector said:
3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

What game is the theme music to that video? Sounds familiar... tmnt?

Yup, that's the intro.

That's the one NES game I still have from when I was a kid :)

I loved that game so much lol

so disappointed it wasn't on the nes mini console...