• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Profiles in History auction / The Frank Darabont Collection: Part II

15 posts in this topic

I hate to say it, but, after all the great auction art that has sold in the Heritage and C-link auction over the last few weeks, this is very underwhelming to me. Sure, there's the Wrightson art, but not much else for an original art collector. Lots of prints and memorabilia. I like auctions with lots of comic art.

40 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

I hate to say it, but, after all the great auction art that has sold in the Heritage and C-link auction over the last few weeks, this is very underwhelming to me. Sure, there's the Wrightson art, but not much else for an original art collector. Lots of prints and memorabilia. I like auctions with lots of comic art.

I was looking through it and thought, he's crazy there is some great stuff here but then there wasn't any more great stuff and I ended up being underwhelmed as well. Great Stout pieces in addition to the Wrightsons and some nice memorabilia.

2 hours ago, cstojano said:

Do those in the know think that Council to a Minion will reach 6 figures as predicted? I assume 100k is the reserve based on past PIH auctions.

I don't know if it WILL reach 6 figures, but I think it SHOULD, because IMHO it's a masterpiece.  Not having a known character (like Frankenstein or Swampthing) might keep bidding more modest.  But if we're talking ART, CTAM is one of Wrightson's all time best.  Doesn't appear to have faded either.  So much overpriced art out there, but this one is worth every penny of what someone might pay, six figures or not.  

Edited by stinkininkin

21 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

I don't know if it WILL reach 6 figures, but I think it SHOULD, because IMHO it's a masterpiece.  Not having a known character (like Frankenstein or Swampthing) might keep bidding more modest.  But if we're talking ART, CTAM is one of Wrightson's all time best.  Doesn't appear to have faded either.  So much overpriced art out there, but this one is worth every penny of what someone might pay, six figures or not.  

My opinion as well. I had never heard of or seen this piece before but saw it and it wowed me.

Learn something new everyday...that is a sweet "Cask of Amontillado" prelim.  And it's huge (that's what she said)!  I like it more than the final version.  I love Poe.  Maybe I've finally found a Wrightson piece to bid on.  28% juice for internet bidders?  Fresh squeeze baby.

17 hours ago, cstojano said:

My opinion as well. I had never heard of or seen this piece before but saw it and it wowed me.

I I’ll take the under on that one.   It’s nice but as Scott said not quite what he’s known for.   It’s big but there’s a lot of relatively empty space and/or rocky outcropping.   The subject matter is not there to raise 100k IMO

Edited by Bronty

The wonderful Frankenstein plate went for $179k with juice (I guess I can now definitely give up hope of having one one day), and the "Council to a Minion" painting for $128k with juice.

https://comicarttracker.com/profiles-in-history-auctions/2019-07-11

Edited by NicoV

Wow, I COMPLETELY FORGOT about this auction!!!  179k seems fairly strong for a great Frankenstein plate (and it was GREAT), but ones of this quality so rarely come up for sale that I just don't know.  Could it have gone for more at Heritage?  Guess we'll never know.  Council to a Minion price DID go for a lot, but again, it's a masterpiece.  Both of these would have looked fantastic on my wall...:sorry: