• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen Book Alert - Baltimore MD area
1 1

80 posts in this topic

I'm on the road so I'll fill in more details later when I have a minute, but there was a box of books stolen from a board members porch in the Baltimore area this morning around 11AM..

The books were originally in a White Fed Ex box and in Mylars and the contents are as follows.

Amazing Spider-man #2 (CGC 8.0, cracked out)

Amazing Spider-man #11 (raw, extremely high grade copy - roughly 8.5/9.0)

Avengers #71 (raw, high grade copy)

Hulk #141 (CGC 9.4, cracked out)

X-men #15 (CGC 9.2, cracked out)

The ASM #2 and #11 and X-men #15 would stand out in particular as they are extremely nice looking copies that you don't see very often. Real eye catching copies.

If any local stores get offered the books or you have any leads, please contact me asap. I will offer a reward if they are found.

More details when I get a chance.

1945136474_AmazingSpider-man2CGC8_0white.jpg.76b386e121f84348dc9c14a3c463dabd.jpg

1470578191_AmazingSpider-man11A.thumb.jpg.5e4a19fa0c0451991fd62ef3b0cea2b2.jpg

1325800679_X-men15CGC9_2White.thumb.jpg.3dd5fc19e6dbc847e6113ea40c6ae347.jpg

Edited by VintageComics

1 minute ago, Dark Knight said:

Not another stolen/missing package :( ..  I'm surprised that there was no signature required for the package especially for the value of the books inside :facepalm: Sorry for the board member, hope he gets his books back in one peace.

Many carriers are lax. In some areas, carriers are allowed to leave the parcel between doors, on a doorstep, or on a stoop or landing at their own discretion, signing off on it, even when a signature is specifically required and should be mandated by the post office! They call it driver release areas. Buyers should be especially aware of this and check the tracking on their incoming packages daily. Something else equally disturbing. What I've heard is that it's not uncommon for a post office to mark the USPS tracking for a parcel as delivered, as soon as it reaches the addressee's post office! I've now heard this from 3 different collectors. And, it could be a disaster for items paid for by paypal because in the event of a claim, paypal considers the item delivered as soon as it's marked delivered on the tracking, even if it hasn't yet left the post office to be delivered to the addressee by the carrier.

Buyers and those with incoming merchandise should refresh their tracking daily to keep a close eye on delivery to avert a potential disaster, with what I've heard as of late.

My Christmas raffle prize, sent using FedEx, went missing.  Called in and reported.  Guy on the phone says driver left it at door.  Case closed.  Called and re-opened case, now driver says he gave it to a man at the door.  Impossible, as I was at work and the only one home was my mother.  Called again and they said there was nothing they can do.  I will never use FedEx again.  They are the worst delivery service

Just because the box went missing, doesn't mean they actually delivered it to the correct address.  I hope the box is recovered, but, I doubt you'll get much help out of FedEx.

14 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Isn't everything stolen in Brawltimore?  (shrug)

Yes Blizards

2 minutes ago, kav said:
16 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Isn't everything stolen in Brawltimore?  (shrug)

Yes Blizards

OK kalf

1 hour ago, aszumilo said:

My Christmas raffle prize, sent using FedEx, went missing.  Called in and reported.  Guy on the phone says driver left it at door.  Case closed.  Called and re-opened case, now driver says he gave it to a man at the door.  Impossible, as I was at work and the only one home was my mother.  Called again and they said there was nothing they can do.  I will never use FedEx again.  They are the worst delivery service

Just because the box went missing, doesn't mean they actually delivered it to the correct address.  I hope the box is recovered, but, I doubt you'll get much help out of FedEx.

Try using UPS. I'd never sent anything via courier before so I went to the UPS store near my house to send some game used hockey jerseys to be sold through an auction house. I had no idea how to fill in the papers, and there was a huge line behind me, so I said I'd take them away and come back. No no no the guy says, I'll do it for you, you just sign the slip. Great! No. He valued my nobody Calgary Flames jerseys at $4000 USD each, when they were 'worth', at most $200 USD each. I had no idea, I'd never sent via courier before! Fast forward a week and a bit and the auction house emails me: There's a $600 USD customs charge on the package. WTF? So, I called UPS and explained what happened. Tough. You signed it. Too bad. So, the jerseys sold for $500 USD and I still have to pay another $100 on top of it to clear the debt. Thanks UPS! I'd rather eat my own face than use those unsympathetic, hypocritical scumbags again. It'd have been cheaper for me to fly the jerseys out to the auction house myself!

Never ever use UPS for anything that has to cross a border.  :gossip:

They will 100% ALWAYS put everything through a Customs Brokerage house and you will almost assuredly end up paying more than the value of the goods by the time all of the Customs brokerage fees and additional service charges are factored in.  :frustrated:  :censored:

Just use your regular postal service as long as you make sure that you packaged everything safely and securely.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

My postal guy used to leave notes. One day we spoke and he said he could leave it on my doorstop and sign for me if I verbally authorized.

I may regret this one day, but I'm tried of going to the post office. I authorized him and he's been leaving them ever since.

I live in a very crime-free area (knock on wood). That's not to say it can't happen, but...living on the edge now.

2 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

My postal guy used to leave notes. One day we spoke and he said he could leave it on my doorstop and sign for me if I verbally authorized.

I may regret this one day, but I'm tried of going to the post office. I authorized him and he's been leaving them ever since.

I live in a very crime-free area (knock on wood). That's not to say it can't happen, but...living on the edge now.

I have this same agreement.

13 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Many carriers are lax. In some areas, carriers are allowed to leave the parcel between doors, on a doorstep, or on a stoop or landing at their own discretion, signing off on it, even when a signature is specifically required and should be mandated by the post office! They call it driver release areas. Buyers should be especially aware of this and check the tracking on their incoming packages daily. Something else equally disturbing. What I've heard is that it's not uncommon for a post office to mark the USPS tracking for a parcel as delivered, as soon as it reaches the addressee's post office! I've now heard this from 3 different collectors. And, it could be a disaster for items paid for by paypal because in the event of a claim, paypal considers the item delivered as soon as it's marked delivered on the tracking, even if it hasn't yet left the post office to be delivered to the addressee by the carrier.

Buyers and those with incoming merchandise should refresh their tracking daily to keep a close eye on delivery to avert a potential disaster, with what I've heard as of late.

:( Thanks for the info, JJJ. It's getting more and more like the wild west out there...

15 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

I would think the post office would have a map of these so called 'driver release areas'. At the very least, so we're not charged for signature required when it isn't going to be requested.

20 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I'm on the road so I'll fill in more details later when I have a minute, but there was a box of books stolen from a board members porch in the Baltimore area this morning around 11AM..

The books were originally in a White Fed Ex box and in Mylars and the contents are as follows.

Amazing Spider-man #2 (CGC 8.0, cracked out)

Amazing Spider-man #11 (raw, extremely high grade copy - roughly 8.5/9.0)

Avengers #71 (raw, high grade copy)

Hulk #141 (CGC 9.4, cracked out)

X-men #15 (CGC 9.2, cracked out)

The ASM #2 and #11 and X-men #15 would stand out in particular as they are extremely nice looking copies that you don't see very often. Real eye catching copies.

If any local stores get offered the books or you have any leads, please contact me asap. I will offer a reward if they are found.

More details when I get a chance .

Let Marc and his crew know.

7 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Let Marc and his crew know.

I will see him in Heroes and I've emailed him.

I'd keep an eye out from NYC all the way down to Virginia if anyone knows local store owners in your respective areas. 

Thanks, All.

12 hours ago, Kahnadah said:

Try using UPS. I'd never sent anything via courier before so I went to the UPS store near my house to send some game used hockey jerseys to be sold through an auction house. I had no idea how to fill in the papers, and there was a huge line behind me, so I said I'd take them away and come back. No no no the guy says, I'll do it for you, you just sign the slip. Great! No. He valued my nobody Calgary Flames jerseys at $4000 USD each, when they were 'worth', at most $200 USD each. I had no idea, I'd never sent via courier before! Fast forward a week and a bit and the auction house emails me: There's a $600 USD customs charge on the package. WTF? So, I called UPS and explained what happened. Tough. You signed it. Too bad. So, the jerseys sold for $500 USD and I still have to pay another $100 on top of it to clear the debt. Thanks UPS! I'd rather eat my own face than use those unsympathetic, hypocritical scumbags again. It'd have been cheaper for me to fly the jerseys out to the auction house myself!

that sucks 

53 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I will see him in Heroes and I've emailed him.

I'd keep an eye out from NYC all the way down to Virginia if anyone knows local store owners in your respective areas. 

Thanks, All.

Ping Al and Zaid as well. Also Comics to Astonish and Third Eye.

12 hours ago, Kahnadah said:

I've never been a big fan, but after reading this...sheesh...