• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sending to CGC pre packed

5 posts in this topic

I Live in the middle of farm country southern MN. No Comic shop by me anywhere.  Anyways I met a seller that is very spot on with books I buy from him.  Can I submit rawbooks I bought from him all nice and packed, throw a submission form in a priority box and send them to CGC?  or do I need to repack them a certain way.  Its so much easier just to bypass any steps that could up with damaged books.

10 minutes ago, Bigtruck said:

I Live in the middle of farm country southern MN. No Comic shop by me anywhere.  Anyways I met a seller that is very spot on with books I buy from him.  Can I submit rawbooks I bought from him all nice and packed, throw a submission form in a priority box and send them to CGC?  or do I need to repack them a certain way.  Its so much easier just to bypass any steps that could up with damaged books.

Well, easier isn't always better. I would urge you to take the time to pack those books very securely before sending them through the mail. As I recall, there's a short tutorial here on the CGC website which shows the different steps you should take when submitting books for encapsulation. Even if they're already bagged and boarded, packing them properly is definitely a must. I've heard quite a few horror stories of folks having their books damaged while in transit. Protect them as much as you can...

17 minutes ago, Bigtruck said:

Sure. I assume you would be paying through a credit card online when you do your submission form, if not, throw the check in there as well as the packing slip.  My only thought is even though you trust the seller and have had good luck with him sometimes the best miss things.  If it were me, I would want to page through the books myself, to count pages check CFs check for interior tears, etc.  Just my two  cents.

2 hours ago, Bigtruck said:

I did this once. 

Turns out the seller was nice enough to throw in a few freebies. Of course, I didn't know this because I didn't unpack the books! I only had one book on the sub form, so CGC emailed me and told me the situation. They said they would destroy them or send them back. I elected to take the books back, and I was charged for shipping. 

Learn from my rookie mistake! It's always good to unpack the books for inspection. I know it can be a pain, but that's what I'd recommend. 

I've sent in hundreds of raw books to CGC that I've packed up myself and have never had a problem.  CGC has a tutorial you can read through to show you how to pack them.  I typically sandwich 4 books in bag/boards together, with spines alternating, between two pieces of cardboard.  You just want to be sure the book doesn't shift within the bag/board because there can be a hammering effect if its allowed to move.  I think the most I've sent at once was 24 raw books so there were 6 sandwiches which I bundled in groups of 3.  Make sure you cut the sandwiches large enough to protect the corner in the event the box is dropped.  If you cut it so there's a 1.5 inch buffer around the books that seems to be enough to absorb most of the impact...  Assuming you're also bubble wrapping the bundles.  For me, I always want to inspect a book closely prior to submitting...  Even my goto dealers can miss something.