• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Population Report

19 posts in this topic

There’s a Cgc census

go to the Cgc website and dig around, the census is easy to find

The CGC census is at https://www.cgccomics.com/census/ and it is the official site.

I've been running a CGC census analysis site for 15+ years at CGCdata.com which some collectors think is easier to use, but it's definitely not "official". (thumbsu

Edited by valiantman

Just now, TwoPiece said:
5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I've been running a CGC census analysis site for 15+ years at CGCdata.com which some collectors think is easier to use, but it's definitely not "official". (thumbsu

Oh :censored:, that's yours? It's my home page at work. :)

Thank you!

^^

Yep, if you click on my name at the bottom...  "CGC Census Analysis" is provided by Greg Holland (©2003-2019)." then you'll see my little Superman costume/pajamas that I use as my avatar here. (:

16 minutes ago, Travis P. Sackett said:

You guys rock! Thank you all for the prompt reply and the stellar feedback. It's awesome to have veterans provide guidance to someone that is new to collecting. Thank you again.

if you don't mind me asking what book was it?

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

The CGC census is at https://www.cgccomics.com/census/ and it is the official site.

Damn, maybe my time here isn't wasted after all. Congrats and thank you. 

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

I had no idea. I just checked it out...  (worship)

On 6/13/2019 at 9:03 AM, valiantman said:

So you just created an alt account to ask about the census so you can promote your website...well played sir!

:jokealert:

On 6/18/2019 at 3:19 PM, Avi said:
On 6/13/2019 at 11:03 AM, valiantman said:

So you just created an alt account to ask about the census so you can promote your website...well played sir!

:jokealert:

My alt account would be something obviously fake like file extensions, "jpg", "gif", "avi", etc. :kidaround:

19 minutes ago, Crops068 said:
38 minutes ago, Ladic said:

how do I add my graded comics to this census?

CGC adds their stuff to the Census automatically.

Not sure how @valiantman has the data flowing from the CGC census over to his site.

@Crops068  @Ladic

CGCdata.com uses the Tuesday data updates from the official CGC Census with CGC's permission since 2003.  Books which don't appear on the CGC Census are either 1) too recently graded to be included or 2) a result of a CGC database error. 

I have noticed that there are books which have been graded several times in the past 20 years which seem to be re-entered into the CGC database recently as if it was the first time grading them, and the CGC Census goes from something like 50 copies to 1 copy.  The errors seem to be found and corrected eventually, but there are definitely errors in the CGC Census data (at all times).

@Ladic if you want to add your books, you're looking for the CGC Registry, not the CGC Census.  The CGC Registry is here: https://www.cgccomics.com/registry/ 

Edited by valiantman

Just now, valiantman said:

@Crops068  @Ladic

CGCdata.com uses the Tuesday data updates from the official CGC Census with CGC's permission since 2003.  Books which don't appear on the CGC Census are either 1) too recently graded to be included or 2) a result of a CGC database error. 

I have noticed that there are books which have been graded several times in the past 20 years which seem to be re-entered into the CGC database recently as if it was the first time grading them, and the CGC Census goes from something like 50 copies to 1 copy.  The errors seem to be found and corrected eventually, but there are definitely errors in the CGC Census data (at all times).

Do you use some sort of API to get the data?  (just curious to be honest)

There will definitely be errors from time to time, we (humans) are involved. :)

Appreciate the response, @valiantman

2 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

Do you use some sort of API to get the data?  (just curious to be honest)

There will definitely be errors from time to time, we (humans) are involved. :)

Appreciate the response, @valiantman

Originally (back in 2003), I was using automated scraping of the data from the CGC Census, but CGC leadership said that wasn't necessary and set up a raw data file.  CGC chooses who can access the file, but there's nothing (extra) in the raw data file that isn't also in the CGC Census available to everyone. 

4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Originally (back in 2003), I was using automated scraping of the data from the CGC Census, but CGC leadership said that wasn't necessary and set up a raw data file.  CGC chooses who can access the file, but there's nothing (extra) in the raw data file that isn't also in the CGC Census available to everyone. 

That's pretty awesome and glad they make it not something incredibly arduous to get the data.