• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a label hierarchy for CGC grades?

7 posts in this topic

When I'm valuing a CGC graded book I definitely consider the time period during which that particular book was graded.  An "old label" doesn't really stand out that it was a tough or easy time period for grading.  It does mean that the book is most likely not pressed.  Page quality distinctions seem tougher during that time period as well.  The newer labels of the "translucent Grade" period I find the least desirable as I think there was grade inflation on some of the books and you can assume the books were pressed.  Page quality standards seemed to have loosened also.  Finally, we are now in the "Newton" period of grading where the grading standards are quite tight and the label itself really pops.  Page quality standards remain liberalized.  My conclusions may be as off base as bemoaning drought in the desert so I'd like to read others take?

7 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

I think the question I have is not about strict or loose, but "Which period is graded accurately?"

I really do think that is hard to determine.  I honestly think that the same book on one day might be up or down .5 on another.  I shrug and am fine with it. 

29 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I really do think that is hard to determine.  I honestly think that the same book on one day might be up or down .5 on another.  I shrug and am fine with it. 

giphy (11).gif

8 minutes ago, kav said:
37 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

giphy (11).gif

I will say that I've subbed books a year apart, without pressing, that have come back the same grade... :foryou:

(Whether to Sig sketch etc)