what's the OA holy grail of comic book ads?

44 posts in this topic

3,551 posts

OA for ads that appear in comics.

the "132 Roman Soldiers" ad (Russ Heath?) or one of the Hostess Fruit Pie w/marvel characters? Sea Monkeys?

983 posts
6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Charles Atlas for the win! 

1790251657_CharlesAtlasad.jpg.78f6bcfdf91c1a9625f087acd0c91fd0.jpg

Charles Atlas was certainly an inspiration to puny Peter Parker types, though I lean more towards the x-ray specs which allowed you to check-out the goods prior to unwrapping . . .

xray-glasses-comic-book-ad.jpg

24,894 posts
12 minutes ago, The Voord said:

Was this one actually featured as a comic-book ad?  Can't remember if it was, sorry.

0A109EF7-A62C-4C47-B9D1-172CB2B85A1F.png

24,894 posts
17 minutes ago, The Voord said:

Charles Atlas was certainly an inspiration to puny Peter Parker types, though I lean more towards the x-ray specs which allowed you to check-out the goods prior to unwrapping . . .

xray-glasses-comic-book-ad.jpg

Those are classic.  

In terms of suggestiveness it’s hard to beat (hrm) the sega ads from UK comic Viz:

http://www.5th-dimension.info/forum/viewtopic.php?p=50121&sid=10c45423f366127fbaa2a592ee83cd63#50121

3,551 posts

ok, thanks for input. let me rephrase this:

What is the best OA comic art you have seen? The Charles Atlas/X-Ray spec is cool but does someone have the OA?

1,078 posts

I loved some of the Marvel subscription adds... One I can think of is wolverine slicing down the page... when I come across it I will post a picture. 

2,494 posts

...but my comic ad holy grail would be the inside cover of More Fun Comics #31 (May 1938) which teased Action #1 cover a month before its publication! :whatthe:   The DC house ad says "You'll miss the treat of a lifetime if you fail to buy a copy!"  Yeah, maybe that Superman guy might catch on...

2778457279_7f1cd76287_o.jpg&key=29ec38c3 

24,894 posts
Posted (edited)

Tbh I don’t think any of them are great from  an oa POV, that I can think of .    The answer would probably relate to whatever desirable full illustration was copied into a comic ad (say Star Wars or whatever).

Edited by Bronty

2,494 posts
13 minutes ago, NoMan said:

ok, thanks for input. let me rephrase this:

What is the best OA comic art you have seen?

'Holy Grail' is often used to describe objects that are unseen or possibly unattainable.  Agree with Bronty that most of these vintage ads, while nostalgic, have art that doesn't inspire.

I own John Romita's Captain America art used in dozens of 1970s Marvel house ads for licensed toys, t-shirts and other licensed stuff.  Also used in comic ads for Topps card, 7-11 Slurpee cups, Milton Bradley toys, Campbell Soup ads, etc.

Link

Sample ads:

1664847088_RomitaCapads.thumb.jpg.bf6043323d3dcdff3a8fb3471dc43ef1.jpg

3,598 posts
Posted (edited)

One of the most famous ads - the Roman Soldiers - was recreated by its artist, Russ Heath, and is on display in the CAF. Click to embiggen.

Roman Soldiers Toy Ad 2008 Comic Art

Edited by alxjhnsn

3,551 posts
1 hour ago, GreatEscape said:

'Holy Grail' is often used to describe objects that are unseen or possibly unattainable.  Agree with Bronty that most of these vintage ads, while nostalgic, have art that doesn't inspire.

I own John Romita's Captain America art used in dozens of 1970s Marvel house ads for licensed toys, t-shirts and other licensed stuff.  Also used in comic ads for Topps card, 7-11 Slurpee cups, Milton Bradley toys, Campbell Soup ads, etc.

Link

Sample ads:

1664847088_RomitaCapads.thumb.jpg.bf6043323d3dcdff3a8fb3471dc43ef1.jpg

cool. i remember all those Cannon film ads in Variety. Pages and pages of them. Rarely were these films ever made.