• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what's the OA holy grail of comic book ads?

44 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, The Voord said:

Charles Atlas was certainly an inspiration to puny Peter Parker types, though I lean more towards the x-ray specs which allowed you to check-out the goods prior to unwrapping . . .

xray-glasses-comic-book-ad.jpg

Those are classic.  

In terms of suggestiveness it’s hard to beat (hrm) the sega ads from UK comic Viz:

http://www.5th-dimension.info/forum/viewtopic.php?p=50121&sid=10c45423f366127fbaa2a592ee83cd63#50121

...but my comic ad holy grail would be the inside cover of More Fun Comics #31 (May 1938) which teased Action #1 cover a month before its publication! :whatthe:   The DC house ad says "You'll miss the treat of a lifetime if you fail to buy a copy!"  Yeah, maybe that Superman guy might catch on...

2778457279_7f1cd76287_o.jpg&key=29ec38c3 

Tbh I don’t think any of them are great from  an oa POV, that I can think of .    The answer would probably relate to whatever desirable full illustration was copied into a comic ad (say Star Wars or whatever).

Edited by Bronty

13 minutes ago, NoMan said:

ok, thanks for input. let me rephrase this:

What is the best OA comic art you have seen?

'Holy Grail' is often used to describe objects that are unseen or possibly unattainable.  Agree with Bronty that most of these vintage ads, while nostalgic, have art that doesn't inspire.

I own John Romita's Captain America art used in dozens of 1970s Marvel house ads for licensed toys, t-shirts and other licensed stuff.  Also used in comic ads for Topps card, 7-11 Slurpee cups, Milton Bradley toys, Campbell Soup ads, etc.

Link

Sample ads:

1664847088_RomitaCapads.thumb.jpg.bf6043323d3dcdff3a8fb3471dc43ef1.jpg

1 hour ago, GreatEscape said:

'Holy Grail' is often used to describe objects that are unseen or possibly unattainable.  Agree with Bronty that most of these vintage ads, while nostalgic, have art that doesn't inspire.

I own John Romita's Captain America art used in dozens of 1970s Marvel house ads for licensed toys, t-shirts and other licensed stuff.  Also used in comic ads for Topps card, 7-11 Slurpee cups, Milton Bradley toys, Campbell Soup ads, etc.

Link

Sample ads:

1664847088_RomitaCapads.thumb.jpg.bf6043323d3dcdff3a8fb3471dc43ef1.jpg

cool. i remember all those Cannon film ads in Variety. Pages and pages of them. Rarely were these films ever made.