• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what's the OA holy grail of comic book ads?

44 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, alxjhnsn said:

One of the most famous ad - the Roman Soldiers - was recreated by its artist, Russ Heath, and is on display in the CAF. Click to embiggen.

Roman Soldiers Toy Ad 2008 Comic Art

Thanks. I have seen that. I guess the original ad art is long gone. 

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

I think this Miller Dr. Strange is my favorite house ad art.

house.jpg

Wow. What could have been. That project never actually happened. So, this may be the only published, official, Frank Miller Doctor Strange art in existence. 

Here's the story about why Miller's stint drawing the Master of the Mystic Arts never actually happened. 

https://www.cbr.com/nothing-was-delivered-roger-stern-and-frank-millers-doctor-strange/

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 6/14/2019 at 5:55 PM, GreatEscape said:

Actually, Miller did pencil the cover to Doctor Strange #46, likely his only published DS work....but to me Miller's ad above is much more impressive.

Miller also drew Doc in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #14, which was nicely inked by Tom Palmer.

Amazing_Spider-Man_Annual_Vol_1_14.jpg

On 6/16/2019 at 2:53 AM, The Voord said:

Steve Ditko CAPTAIN ATOM ad.  The OA is available for sale on Albert Moy's web-site.

ditkocaptainadam.jpg

appreciate you posting that. and all the post. went to this dude's website and saw the SD Hulk #6 OA for 40k. This sounds kinda cheap. But I dunno OA.

These Broderick MICRONAUTS ads are interesting, too... never ran across them as published (though the background on this scan is clearly old newsprint).  I have no idea whether they ran as one solid page, or went out separately.  Have never encountered the OA for them, either.

ad-micronauts-02.thumb.jpg.96d004f3da7e846c38a00bf18c71cd4d.jpg

Edited by thethedew