• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eternals #1 9.8 issues

20 posts in this topic

I recently purched this on E-bay.  graded 9.8.  I could not see any/nor did it say any flaws anywhere in the description.  I was looking for the most well centered #1 i could find.  then When I get the book I notice the top right has what looks to be a chip.  Is this a production flaw?  Now in my mind all i see is this.  Eternals #1 has a tough time getting a nice centered book.  this one is.  Seller offered me a full refund or 175$ rebate to match the March average cost.  I need advice with this please.  is it a chip? or a reordered issue.15604730583087576840865765173080.thumb.jpg.ec856e9ebf96dfc54021ce326d10bce9.jpg

To me, it looks like when it was being cut (the cover) that the blade wasn't sharp enough to make it clean so it left a ripple of a ridge on the edge (I've seen this before on some other covers) - that corner 'chip' also looks like a tiny piece that could flake off.  Even though it was graded as a 9.8, though, if you're not happy with it to be in the perma set then I would return it.  As a buyer, you want to be happy with it and in my perma set look-fors I always want to be happy with them.  That being said, no book is perfect and I guarantee you can find a flaw with every 9.8 you'll see...you just need to find one with flaws you can live with (thumbsu

good point.  I was just reading about the dull knife incident.  I seen worse corners being 9.8 especially with newer moderns.  but you are correct, most 9.8 have some tiny flaw that keeps me on the negative side.  Whats worse to me is a copy with 1/4" of white running down the whole spine where you can see the staples and still grades a 9.8 and that doesn't seem to bother buyers.  

From what your looking for or wanted I think your looking at something that would probably come in as a 9.9 grade if one exists for that book. 9.8 will have some small or minor production flaw. to have a perfectly centered book with no production flaw that goes into the 9.9, 10 ranges from what I understand. 

22 hours ago, Bigtruck said:

I recently purched this on E-bay.  graded 9.8.  I could not see any/nor did it say any flaws anywhere in the description.  I was looking for the most well centered #1 i could find.  then When I get the book I notice the top right has what looks to be a chip.  Is this a production flaw?  Now in my mind all i see is this.  Eternals #1 has a tough time getting a nice centered book.  this one is.  Seller offered me a full refund or 175$ rebate to match the March average cost.  I need advice with this please.  is it a chip? or a reordered issue.15604730583087576840865765173080.thumb.jpg.ec856e9ebf96dfc54021ce326d10bce9.jpg

Go over this with me and tell me if I'm misinterpreting the image, because I'm on a PC today with a lousy monitor. I think I'm seeing:

1) the corner chip/piece missing that everyone has already mentioned

2) A long flake line. A crease near the top edge that runs at least for the width of the image and is located about a sixth of an inch down from the top edge, running about parallel with the edge.

3) Another chip, on the right edge, adjacent the exclamation mark, cover only.

That's three flaws, any one of which should make scoring 9.8 a daunting proposition, let alone all three in so small an area.

Am I seeing this right? And if so, does the slab appear to be tampered with? Solid all the way around? No cracks, nothing looks odd as far as CGC slabs go that you've owned and seen?

Eternals1.jpg

Edited by James J Johnson

On 6/14/2019 at 6:46 PM, James J Johnson said:

Go over this with me and tell me if I'm misinterpreting the image, because I'm on a PC today with a lousy monitor. I think I'm seeing:

1) the corner chip/piece missing that everyone has already mentioned

2) A long flake line. A crease near the top edge that runs at least for the width of the image and is located about a sixth of an inch down from the top edge, running about parallel with the edge.

3) Another chip, on the right edge, adjacent the exclamation mark, cover only.

That's three flaws, any one of which should make scoring 9.8 a daunting proposition, let alone all three in so small an area.

Am I seeing this right? And if so, does the slab appear to be tampered with? Solid all the way around? No cracks, nothing looks odd as far as CGC slabs go that you've owned and seen?

Eternals1.jpg

I'm only guessing but CGC might have counted that crush at the top as one defect and you got lucky to get a 9.8 they might have been a little forgiving. As that damage looks like a crush from being in storage, etc... 

2 hours ago, Krishosein said:

I'm only guessing but CGC might have counted that crush at the top as one defect and you got lucky to get a 9.8 they might have been a little forgiving. As that damage looks like a crush from being in storage, etc... 

And the flaked crease, straight across, parallel to and near the top edge, that looks exactly like a flak line on the overhang of a dark colored, early Silver age Marvel? The one directly below the tips of my added red arrows, it's jagged topography mirrored by my red line below? Is that crease only on the inch and a half of the top edge that we can see in the image, or does it continue to the left, across more of, or entire top edge?

No thats all there is.  the line quits there.  its almost impossible to see unless you eyes are an inch away and its at the right angle.  I thought we were able to buy grader notes?  But I dont see the option.

1 hour ago, Bigtruck said:

No thats all there is.  the line quits there.  its almost impossible to see unless you eyes are an inch away and its at the right angle.  I thought we were able to buy grader notes?  But I dont see the option.

Pretty sure they don't include notes on any 9.8s...

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

Pretty sure they don't include notes on any 9.8s...

None really needed. It's not as though there should be a list, a litany of grade deducting defects on a 9.8. Though in the very limited area of this book that we can see, no more than a one and 1/2 square inch area, there are three defects crammed into that very small visible area:

1: flaked crease across the top

2: Corner chip

3: small piece missing right edge adjacent to and on the right edge of the cover only.

That's a list. And based on what I've seen of CGC 9.8s, which are typically the nicest of the 9.8s around from the three grading companies, that's why I asked about the status of the holder. Cracks? Fissures? Any signs of tampering on the case edges? If I was holding this in my hand, after spotting the defects top right, and of course, there may be more elsewhere that we don't have images of, I would immediately examine the security status of the holder.

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

None really needed. It's not as though there should be a list, a litany of grade deducting defects on a 9.8. Though in the very limited area of this book that we can see, no more than a one and 1/2 square inch area, there are three defects crammed into that very small visible area:

1: flaked crease across the top

2: Corner chip

3: small piece missing right edge adjacent to and on the right edge of the cover only.

That's a list. And based on what I've seen of CGC 9.8s, which are typically the nicest of the 9.8s around from the three grading companies, that's why I asked about the status of the holder. Cracks? Fissures? Any signs of tampering on the case edges? If I was holding this in my hand, after spotting the defects top right, and of course, there may be more elsewhere that we don't have images of, I would immediately examine the security status of the holder.

Well JJJ, I agree with you. There is no way this would or should have received a 9.8 unless it was damaged somehow after being graded, or it was tampered with (which seems unlikely given the impregnable nature of the new holders). Personally, I wouldn't be happy with this copy as a 9.8...    

55 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Well JJJ, I agree with you. There is no way this would or should have received a 9.8 unless it was damaged somehow after being graded, or it was tampered with (which seems unlikely given the impregnable nature of the new holders). Personally, I wouldn't be happy with this copy as a 9.8...    

+1   I might be more open to 9.8 interpretation, and entertain lower expectations before opening the parcel if it was a 9.8 graded by either of the other two majors, but a CGC 9.8 is consistently the best 9.8, the tightest of the three services. It's a superior book.

Holder is perfect.  I think CGC just boiled it down to a manufacturing error.  Flaw with the cutting, dull blade or what have you.  They buyer offered me a full refund or $175 off.  My biggest issue with Any Eternals #1 has been Centering, and this copy is Centered almost perfectly.  I seen 9.8s with spine ticks and that would actually bug me more because they are much more visible.  the seller had 100% positive feedback on multiple thousands of sales. With the -175$ off the price is equal to the lowest price #1   9.8 sold since January.  So im all in all im ok with the transaction.

16 hours ago, Bigtruck said:

Holder is perfect.  I think CGC just boiled it down to a manufacturing error.  Flaw with the cutting, dull blade or what have you.  They buyer offered me a full refund or $175 off.  My biggest issue with Any Eternals #1 has been Centering, and this copy is Centered almost perfectly.  I seen 9.8s with spine ticks and that would actually bug me more because they are much more visible.  the seller had 100% positive feedback on multiple thousands of sales. With the -175$ off the price is equal to the lowest price #1   9.8 sold since January.  So im all in all im ok with the transaction.

99% of chips are manufacturing errors, caused by dragging a dull blade across paper grain. Manufacturing defect or not, an extremely tangible defect. How many S.A. Marvels have been graded 6.0 instead of 9.0 solely on the weight of chips and pre-chips (hanging chips/non-detached chips) present along the right edge? Or less commonly, along the bottom or top edges? Chips are missing pieces, they've always been a grade-deducting factor, and they can make or break the difference between a book CGC grading many points higher or lower than it would without them.

43 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

99% of chips are manufacturing errors, caused by dragging a dull blade across paper grain. Manufacturing defect or not, an extremely tangible defect. How many S.A. Marvels have been graded 6.0 instead of 9.0 solely on the weight of chips and pre-chips (hanging chips/non-detached chips) present along the right edge? Or less commonly, along the bottom or top edges? Chips are missing pieces, they've always been a grade-deducting factor, and they can make or break the difference between a book CGC grading many points higher or lower than it would without them.

Lunch time...