• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scooby Doo 1 is now a top BA key. $2600 today....
1 1

51 posts in this topic

There are very few non-Disney/non-Warner Brothers Gold Key/Dell titles that featured characters that are still recognizable and collected today. (And even the Disney/WB are stretch.) I can see how this is a key book in high condition -- though it's not uncommon in VG and below.

6 hours ago, pemart1966 said:
10 hours ago, Ryan. said:

There are eight copies on ebay right now. (shrug)

Which tells me that it's over hyped; people have "bought" in to the hype; and consequently it's now WAAAAAY over priced...

It's not a rare comic. However, it gets much more scarce in higher grades. I think the two highest graded ones on ebay right now top off at 7.0

It's a legitimately tough book in high grade. 

5 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

It's hard in high grade. Sell if u have one

How about holding on? I’ve had grades in the 5-7.0 in the last 10 years. Always sold them quickly whenever I needed to

Edited by Spiderturtle

This comic has been sought after in high grade for a while by a few. Currently only two 9.4 on census. There is another post where a board member has been offering 10k+ for a 9.4 since Feb and just upped it to $11,500.

On 6/13/2019 at 11:06 PM, twmjr1 said:

For an 8.5 copy on ComicConnect. Who would have ever thought? I've had a 5.5 copy for years, never dreamed there would be such demand. This book is now VERY HARD to find, and is going to keep going up.

Scooby Doo is one of the most iconic characters ever. I put the first three tv seasons of Scooby Doo against the first 50 issues of FF and Spider-Man anytime. Not saying Scooby Doo was better but comparable, and most likely more people watched those Scooby Doo first seasons than read the Marvel stuff.

This youtube video got 31 million views. Pretty popular. Think not even Jim Lee`s X-Men 1 or Spawn 1 by McFarlane combined in sales could come close to 31 million views. 

Scooby and the gang are popular with multiple generations.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

14 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Scooby Doo is one of the most iconic characters ever. I put the first three tv seasons of Scooby Doo against the first 50 issues of FF and Spider-Man anytime. Not saying Scooby Doo was better but comparable, and most likely more people watched those Scooby Doo first seasons than read the Marvel stuff.

This youtube video got 31 million views. Pretty popular. Think not even Jim Lee`s X-Men 1 or Spawn 1 by McFarlane combined in sales could come close to 31 million views. 

That's a weird false equivalency.

7 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

The point I was trying to make is Scooby Doo is very popular franchise. It shouldn`t be overlooked or underrated. It`s Hanna Barbera`s top franchise ever. More people have watched those Scooby Doo cartoons than have read Jim Lee or Todd McFarlane comics.

Scooby Doo gold key #1 will continue to go up in value as the character is timeless and isn`t going to fade. It`s a good sleeper pick.

12 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
14 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

What's the first comic book appearance of Psy?   3.3Billion YouTube views must make the comic book worth zillions.

3 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The point I was trying to make is Scooby Doo is very popular franchise. It shouldn`t be overlooked or underrated. It`s Hanna Barbera`s top franchise ever. More people have watched those Scooby Doo cartoons than have read Jim Lee or Todd McFarlane comics.

Scooby Doo gold key #1 will continue to go up in value as the character is timeless and isn`t going to fade. It`s a good sleeper pick.

Understood, but personally I think something like Wolverine would be a better equivalent. You are talking about 90's comics books and creators vs. a 70's tv cartoon (pre-cable). Wolverine and X-Men related films have made billions.

43 minutes ago, valiantman said:

What's the first comic book appearance of Psy?   3.3Billion YouTube views must make the comic book worth zillions.

I have to agree with you on this one.

Now is a great time to be buying Mike "The Situation" signed comic books.

47 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
53 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Understood, but personally I think something like Wolverine would be a better equivalent. You are talking about 90's comics books and creators vs. a 70's tv cartoon (pre-cable). Wolverine and X-Men related films have made billions.

The better example is probably Star Trek #1, also from Gold Key, also a comic book that appeared AFTER the television show, also a 1960s creation that still has millions of followers even today.

CGC 8.0 Star Trek #1 (Gold Key, 1967) = $725

CGC 8.0 Scooby Doo #1 (Gold Key, 1970) = $2,250

Seems like one of these two is a little "too cheap" and I don't think it's the one that's 3 times more expensive. lol

42 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The better example is probably Star Trek #1, also from Gold Key, also a comic book that appeared AFTER the television show, also a 1960s creation that still has millions of followers even today.

CGC 8.0 Star Trek #1 (Gold Key, 1967) = $725

CGC 8.0 Scooby Doo #1 (Gold Key, 1970) = $2,250

Seems like one of these two is a little "too cheap" and I don't think it's the one that's 3 times more expensive. lol

both are good picks. I would say Scooby though would be a better sleeper pick as the Star Trek characters from 1960s really have been replaced with the new Discover cast. Scooby will always be Scooby. Think of Sonic.

My main thought on this is sometimes it`s good to think outside of the box. 

Hey if ninja turtles can be popular than so can a dog and his scooby snacks.

lol.

58 minutes ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

I have to agree with you on this one.

Now is a great time to be buying Mike "The Situation" signed comic books.

btw love your site.

also what ever happened to Larry`s Comics?

I don't see him posting much on here anymore.