• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New York Comicon

10 posts in this topic

Good grief. I went to buy tickets for NY Comicon, which is in October, on June 13, 1 day after they became available for sale, and Saturday was already sold out.  Going Sunday and Thursday. So, if any of you haven’t ordered tickets and were planning to, it may be a good idea to step up soon.

I refused to, because it drives me crazy that they put tickets on sale before they announce the artist alley lineup knowing that it will sell out. They had about 6 or 7 artists listed when tickets were released, I think that's incredibly shady. Imagine the music industry doing that for a festival? Here's are our tickets for Coachella, a few months after you purchase your tickets we will provide you with a list of bands.

2 hours ago, ZimmermanTelegram said:

I refused to, because it drives me crazy that they put tickets on sale before they announce the artist alley lineup knowing that it will sell out. They had about 6 or 7 artists listed when tickets were released, I think that's incredibly shady. Imagine the music industry doing that for a festival? Here's are our tickets for Coachella, a few months after you purchase your tickets we will provide you with a list of bands.

Understood, but the line-up is always good, so what the heck. And there is always something else entertaining.

On 6/14/2019 at 5:52 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Good grief. I went to buy tickets for NY Comicon, which is in October, on June 13, 1 day after they became available for sale, and Saturday was already sold out.  Going Sunday and Thursday. So, if any of you haven’t ordered tickets and were planning to, it may be a good idea to step up soon.

If you want Saturday you either have to get in on the pre sale or be right in queue at noon on the day of general sale.  Leaving it beyond that guarantees that you won't get it.

If it's any consequence, I think that Saturday's the worst day of the con.  Too much humanity makes navigation/enjoyment virtually impossible.

2 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

If you want Saturday you either have to get in on the pre sale or be right in queue at noon on the day of general sale.  Leaving it beyond that guarantees that you won't get it.

If it's any consequence, I think that Saturday's the worst day of the con.  Too much humanity makes navigation/enjoyment virtually impossible.

I haven't been to a NY Comicon in about 3 years, after getting shut out on tickets. Since I don't go for the entertainment but the comic art and comic news in general, I'm actually looking forward to being there on the first and last days. But, I was still surprised.

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I haven't been to a NY Comicon in about 3 years, after getting shut out on tickets. Since I don't go for the entertainment but the comic art and comic news in general, I'm actually looking forward to being there on the first and last days. But, I was still surprised.

I got in the queue right at high noon this past Wednesday and surprisingly it only took about 25 minutes before I was able to purchase tickets.  At that time, day passes for all four days were still available.  The only things that weren't available were 4 day passes which had sold out, as I understand, during the pre sale.

Because of some family 'stuff' it's hard for me to travel much, and hard to plan too far in advance - so buying tickets to cons is a tricky thing. If more cons switch to something like lyte exchange and make the tickets transferable then I don't mind buy tickets when they're released and then being able to sell them if I can't go - but that's in the future. 

I'd really like to attend NYCC in October, but I'm ticketless and the exchange queue is already very long. Are there any other options? Are there EVER last minute options anywhere?

In my civilian life I attend a large convention/fair every year, and there are multiple ways to get in - including through exhibitor badges. What's the usual disposition of excess exhibitor badges at comic cons? Do they even exist? Sold? Given to favored customers? 

Any input is much appreciated, although I don't really know what I'm expecting, with people above already complaining about being shut out. Shots in the dark...

P.S. Artists' Alley on Thursday - is it fully set up, or is Friday better?

NYCC is still pimping out Thursday tickets.  The last 3 years, they have not been able to sell out Thursday.  This is great for hardcore collectors since day 1 is the least crowded.  90% of artist alley shows up on day 1 including the big names of the industry, although maybe late afternoon.  They want to make as much $ as they can.

Cheers!

N.

21 hours ago, dichotomy said:

Because of some family 'stuff' it's hard for me to travel much, and hard to plan too far in advance - so buying tickets to cons is a tricky thing. If more cons switch to something like lyte exchange and make the tickets transferable then I don't mind buy tickets when they're released and then being able to sell them if I can't go - but that's in the future. 

I'd really like to attend NYCC in October, but I'm ticketless and the exchange queue is already very long. Are there any other options? Are there EVER last minute options anywhere?

In my civilian life I attend a large convention/fair every year, and there are multiple ways to get in - including through exhibitor badges. What's the usual disposition of excess exhibitor badges at comic cons? Do they even exist? Sold? Given to favored customers? 

Any input is much appreciated, although I don't really know what I'm expecting, with people above already complaining about being shut out. Shots in the dark...

P.S. Artists' Alley on Thursday - is it fully set up, or is Friday better?

Many people will resell tickets on eBay etc as you get closer to the show. As long as you’re fan verified it’s not an issue.