• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Digital frame for displaying art
1 1

9 posts in this topic

One of the issues many people have who want to display their art collection is that they want to limit the art's exposure to harmful sunlight. So this requires paying for expensive framing in museum glass. They also are afraid of physical damage occurring to the art, or theft if it is out in the open. And, pragmatically, they also may want to change the art occasionally to see variety on the walls. One means of avoiding all of these problems is to make extremely hi res scans of the art, and then display it in a digital frame on the wall. It can be changed easily, with none of the attendant risks associated with physical displays.

This product (I am not endorsing it, per se) is the kind of thing I'm talking about. It even has a swivel mount accessory you can by to turn the frame to landscape mode, and allow you to display DPS's (albeit shrunk a bit).

This particular item is a bit pricey, but I can see jury rigging an old computer monitor or hi def TV screen with the same effect.

Thoughts?

https://www.meural.com/canvas-27

Edited by PhilipB2k17

I went to the site, but I didn't see the price.  Pretty  cool, but I'm still using my wife's cast-off Gateway laptop with Windows 7, so I don't think this is in my future.  I actually don't mind just bringing art down from the attic once in a while and setting it up on the piano for viewing pleasure.  I even have some framed pieces in the rotation!  Then it goes back into storage.  Best, David

41 minutes ago, aokartman said:

I went to the site, but I didn't see the price.  Pretty  cool, but I'm still using my wife's cast-off Gateway laptop with Windows 7, so I don't think this is in my future.  I actually don't mind just bringing art down from the attic once in a while and setting it up on the piano for viewing pleasure.  I even have some framed pieces in the rotation!  Then it goes back into storage.  Best, David

It's $565, not including any sale discounts. And that's for the display. The swivel amount is $50 extra. Like I said, pricey for what you're getting. But here's a video of how the thing works, for anyone who's interested. 

https://www.meural.com/canvas27?video=true

And, yes, you can upload your own photos and art.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

5 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

One of the issues many people have who want to display their art collection is that they want to limit the art's exposure to harmful sunlight. So this requires paying for expensive framing in museum glass. They also are afraid of physical damage occurring to the art, or theft igf it is out in the open. And, pragmatically, they also may want to change the art occasionally to see variety on the walls. One means of avoiding all of these problems is to make extremely hi res scans of the art, and then display it in a digital frame on the wall. It can be changed easily, with none of the attendant risks associated with physical displays.

This produce (I am not endorsing it, per se) is the kind of thing I'm talking about. It even has a swivel mount accessory you can by to turn the frame to landscape mode, and allow you to display DPS's (albeit shrunk a bit).

This particular item is a bit pricey, but I can see jury rigging an old computer monitor or hi def TV screen with the same effect.

Thoughts?

https://www.meural.com/canvas-27

My thought is:  why even bother to collect the physical original art if you'd be content just looking at images on a wall-mounted screen? (shrug) 

I think this is an interesting product for displaying all sorts of digital images (like photographs), but, for me, it would be a hollow substitute for displaying the originals, which is also why I also have zero interest in displaying framed photocopies. It's just nowhere near the same for me.  

Knowing that one might get drunk enough to one day stumble into the frames on the wall whilst holding something red and fruity and stainy like a daiquiri is part of the thrill of owning original art. Happy Friday, everyone!

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

My thought is:  why even bother to collect the physical original art if you'd be content just looking at images on a wall-mounted screen? (shrug) 

I think this is an interesting product for displaying all sorts of digital images (like photographs), but, for me, it would be a hollow substitute for displaying the originals, which is also why I also have zero interest in displaying framed photocopies. It's just nowhere near the same for me.  

I agree with this. 

I only collect art I like to see, and I do try to preserve them as best as possible.  I only have them hanging in rooms with blackout curtains or stored in closets.  

In my early days of collecting, I had the framer make a high end museum glass frame where I could open the back and take the art out.  In about 15 years I haven't ever changed the art.  

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

To each their own. I just thought it was an interesting alternative option for people who may find it a convenient way to solve some of the problems with displaying art. You can still go into your portfolio and pull out the originals to look at any time you want, of course. 

8 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

To each their own. I just thought it was an interesting alternative option for people who may find it a convenient way to solve some of the problems with displaying art. You can still go into your portfolio and pull out the originals to look at any time you want, of course. 

It never hurts to make a suggestion, and your effort should be appreciated.

Personally, I just assume that the only one really interested in my collection is me, so I just keep a bunch of top loaders near my desk, and rotate art into them every one in a while, along with new purchases, which I put behind my desk. Cheap, easy, and it lets me get my hands on the stuff (carefully) again.

Yeah, we’ve discussed these a number of times here before. Most know where I stand on the topic (Heresy!) 

I do fall pretty much in line with what Gene says.

That said, if you want the “greatest OA collection ever”, go pillage the Heritage high res art scans of your choice, and knock yourself out.

Frazettas and Wrightsons, Dark Knights and Watchmen. McSpideys, Hush covers, trophy pages from the silver age, Bronze Age, modern age. They can all be yours. Heck, slip in a Boris and a Liefeld too. No one will know or be around to judge.

Sure, it’s only a virtual OA collection, but if it makes one content to look at the digital screen, they could save themselves an immense amount of money and time, and price is truly no barrier.

In fact, I’m going to go make my self some tea, slip into my club chair and look at some of my paintings hanging on the wall,  while contemplating what I’d want to see on such a screen.

:idea: