Ever a time folks lined up for a new comic outside of store (Not LCS)?
1 1

51 posts in this topic

3,577 posts
Posted (edited)

Got a question for some of our beloved OG members. Was there ever such a buzz about a new comic that folks lined up outside of the store for it? By store I'm talking non-LCS/pre LCS 1960s or 70s (or at least at a time LCS were less prevalent). Let's say lining up at a Wollworth's kinda place that sold comics. 

Thanks!

Edited by NoMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,867 posts

I don't know about a line-up but back in the 90s the following titles had a lot of buzz to get a copy:

1) Legends of the Dark Knight

2) New Spider-Man title art/story by McFarlane

3) After my time, but the Death of Superman had a lot of hype

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,577 posts
1 hour ago, romanheart said:

I don't know about a line-up but back in the 90s the following titles had a lot of buzz to get a copy:

1) Legends of the Dark Knight

2) New Spider-Man title art/story by McFarlane

3) After my time, but the Death of Superman had a lot of hype

Thank you but I wanna go back further in time. Like I said, pre LCS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,637 posts

I doubt this ever happened back before the days LCSs because comics were sold in many more locations back then. Many convenient stores, grocery stores, book stores, new stands and gas stations sold comics. There was no need to line up because of the numerous places to buy the books as compared to later years when the ONLY place to get books was from your LCS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,677 posts
24 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Got a question for some of our beloved OG members. Was there ever such a buzz about a new comic that folks lined up outside of the store for it? By store I'm talking non-LCS/pre LCS 1960s or 70s (or at least at a time LCS were less prevalent). Let's say lining up at a Wollworth's kinda place that sold comics. 

Thanks!

Nope.  Pre-LCS, there was no one to promote a specific issue... there really weren't any "event" comics back then.  There was no Previews.  I bought comics in the '60s.  You went to the drugstore, and you saw what was there.  At most, you would have a month's heads-up about the next issue in the previous issue's ad.  But hype for a comic was pretty much limited to the cover blurbs.  And no magazine or TV show commented about specific comic book issues (comics were kids' products, and super-heroes especially were considered just about the lowest form of literature... networks and slick magazines wouldn't have noticed or cared about anything that happened in the stories).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,577 posts
1 hour ago, Bookery said:

Nope.  Pre-LCS, there was no one to promote a specific issue... there really weren't any "event" comics back then.  There was no Previews.  I bought comics in the '60s.  You went to the drugstore, and you saw what was there.  At most, you would have a month's heads-up about the next issue in the previous issue's ad.  But hype for a comic was pretty much limited to the cover blurbs.  And no magazine or TV show commented about specific comic book issues (comics were kids' products, and super-heroes especially were considered just about the lowest form of literature... networks and slick magazines wouldn't have noticed or cared about anything that happened in the stories).

thanks. i kinda figured as much. just wanted to ask someone that was there and witnessed first hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,314 posts

As a kid I remember lining up outside of a record store to buy a new Beatles album or concert tickets but not for a comic book...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,600 posts
18 minutes ago, Shawnby78 said:

Double no. But I have slept out for concert tickets.

I lined up outside of a JC Penney on Black Friday once.

It was only to help my mom get an extra free ornament, since she'd been collecting them annually for my 2 cousins, and my grandmother was in Florida that year.

I think my younger brother has lined up outside for a video game before. What a dummy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,350 posts
Posted (edited)

Never heard of that happening in the UK for a comic book.

Then again, over here it was primarily bus and train stations, newsagents, and distribution was on-and-off, unpredictable, especially once you get into the early seventies.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
747 posts
55 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Never heard of that happening in the UK for a comic book.

Then again, over here it was primarily bus and train stations, newsagents, and distribution was on-and-off, unpredictable, especially once you get into the early seventies.

Only when the British Marvel weeklies started in 1972 was I able to read superhero books on anything like a regular basis, and US comics when I discovered Forbidden Planet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,350 posts
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, mrc said:

Only when the British Marvel weeklies started in 1972 was I able to read superhero books on anything like a regular basis, and US comics when I discovered Forbidden Planet.

The Marvel UK weeklies messed up the distribution of US comics, something along the lines of, for example, while Spider-Man was being reprinted, distribution of new US material over here would cease.  It was a frustrating time.  

FP  was a great shop in the late seventies.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
747 posts
9 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

The Marvel UK weeklies messed up the distribution of US comics, something along the lines of, for example, while Spider-Man was being reprinted, distribution of new US material over here would cease.  It was a frustrating time.  

FP  was a great shop in the late seventies.

I loved the Ditko run in Spider-man Weekly, however the disappointment was palpable when I discovered that the 'free spider-man mask' in issue 1 was in fact a neatly folded paper bag!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49,554 posts

No, is the answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
747 posts
1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

UC.jpg

:whatthe:

 

spideybag.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,350 posts
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, mrc said:

:whatthe:

 

spideybag.jpg

 

:whatthe: +1

Was the mask really so Klan-like?  

Memory failed me, thankfully.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49,554 posts

Side question: has anyone ever seen people line up outside LCS for a book?  I cant remember anyone doing that, even for howard the duck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,577 posts
58 minutes ago, kav said:

Side question: has anyone ever seen people line up outside LCS for a book?  I cant remember anyone doing that, even for howard the duck.

You don't remember the Death Of Superman BS? I was so glad to be away from comics at that point in time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49,554 posts
Just now, NoMan said:

You don't remember the Death Of Superman BS? I was so glad to be away from comics at that point in time. 

I was away from comics at that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1