• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever a time folks lined up for a new comic outside of store (Not LCS)?
1 1

51 posts in this topic

Got a question for some of our beloved OG members. Was there ever such a buzz about a new comic that folks lined up outside of the store for it? By store I'm talking non-LCS/pre LCS 1960s or 70s (or at least at a time LCS were less prevalent). Let's say lining up at a Wollworth's kinda place that sold comics. 

Thanks!

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, romanheart said:

I don't know about a line-up but back in the 90s the following titles had a lot of buzz to get a copy:

1) Legends of the Dark Knight

2) New Spider-Man title art/story by McFarlane

3) After my time, but the Death of Superman had a lot of hype

Thank you but I wanna go back further in time. Like I said, pre LCS.

I doubt this ever happened back before the days LCSs because comics were sold in many more locations back then. Many convenient stores, grocery stores, book stores, new stands and gas stations sold comics. There was no need to line up because of the numerous places to buy the books as compared to later years when the ONLY place to get books was from your LCS.

24 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Got a question for some of our beloved OG members. Was there ever such a buzz about a new comic that folks lined up outside of the store for it? By store I'm talking non-LCS/pre LCS 1960s or 70s (or at least at a time LCS were less prevalent). Let's say lining up at a Wollworth's kinda place that sold comics. 

Thanks!

Nope.  Pre-LCS, there was no one to promote a specific issue... there really weren't any "event" comics back then.  There was no Previews.  I bought comics in the '60s.  You went to the drugstore, and you saw what was there.  At most, you would have a month's heads-up about the next issue in the previous issue's ad.  But hype for a comic was pretty much limited to the cover blurbs.  And no magazine or TV show commented about specific comic book issues (comics were kids' products, and super-heroes especially were considered just about the lowest form of literature... networks and slick magazines wouldn't have noticed or cared about anything that happened in the stories).

1 hour ago, Bookery said:

Nope.  Pre-LCS, there was no one to promote a specific issue... there really weren't any "event" comics back then.  There was no Previews.  I bought comics in the '60s.  You went to the drugstore, and you saw what was there.  At most, you would have a month's heads-up about the next issue in the previous issue's ad.  But hype for a comic was pretty much limited to the cover blurbs.  And no magazine or TV show commented about specific comic book issues (comics were kids' products, and super-heroes especially were considered just about the lowest form of literature... networks and slick magazines wouldn't have noticed or cared about anything that happened in the stories).

thanks. i kinda figured as much. just wanted to ask someone that was there and witnessed first hand.

18 minutes ago, Shawnby78 said:

Double no. But I have slept out for concert tickets.

I lined up outside of a JC Penney on Black Friday once.

It was only to help my mom get an extra free ornament, since she'd been collecting them annually for my 2 cousins, and my grandmother was in Florida that year.

I think my younger brother has lined up outside for a video game before. What a dummy.

Never heard of that happening in the UK for a comic book.

Then again, over here it was primarily bus and train stations, newsagents, and distribution was on-and-off, unpredictable, especially once you get into the early seventies.

Edited by Ken Aldred

55 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Never heard of that happening in the UK for a comic book.

Then again, over here it was primarily bus and train stations, newsagents, and distribution was on-and-off, unpredictable, especially once you get into the early seventies.

Only when the British Marvel weeklies started in 1972 was I able to read superhero books on anything like a regular basis, and US comics when I discovered Forbidden Planet.

13 minutes ago, mrc said:

Only when the British Marvel weeklies started in 1972 was I able to read superhero books on anything like a regular basis, and US comics when I discovered Forbidden Planet.

The Marvel UK weeklies messed up the distribution of US comics, something along the lines of, for example, while Spider-Man was being reprinted, distribution of new US material over here would cease.  It was a frustrating time.  

FP  was a great shop in the late seventies.

Edited by Ken Aldred

9 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

The Marvel UK weeklies messed up the distribution of US comics, something along the lines of, for example, while Spider-Man was being reprinted, distribution of new US material over here would cease.  It was a frustrating time.  

FP  was a great shop in the late seventies.

I loved the Ditko run in Spider-man Weekly, however the disappointment was palpable when I discovered that the 'free spider-man mask' in issue 1 was in fact a neatly folded paper bag!

11 minutes ago, mrc said:

:whatthe:

spideybag.jpg

:whatthe: +1

Was the mask really so Klan-like?  

Memory failed me, thankfully.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Side question: has anyone ever seen people line up outside LCS for a book?  I cant remember anyone doing that, even for howard the duck.

58 minutes ago, kav said:

Side question: has anyone ever seen people line up outside LCS for a book?  I cant remember anyone doing that, even for howard the duck.

You don't remember the Death Of Superman BS? I was so glad to be away from comics at that point in time. 

Just now, NoMan said:

You don't remember the Death Of Superman BS? I was so glad to be away from comics at that point in time. 

I was away from comics at that time.