• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever a time folks lined up for a new comic outside of store (Not LCS)?
1 1

51 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, NoMan said:

that's a cool looking building. any history you have on it?

A part of me misses that building... but we simply outgrew it.  We now occupy 4 addresses downtown, a few blocks away.  But it wasn't very practical... it was broken down into 4 small rooms inside, and with the outside step, and two steps down once you got inside, it wasn't really handicapped-accessible.  It was the end-cap of a small little office-center.  The landlord was eccentric, and collected all sorts of odds and ends, which as you can see, he incorporated into the building.  I'm not sure, but I'm guessing the shopping center was erected in the late '50s or early '60s.  We occupied it from 1988-1996.

1 hour ago, Bookery said:

A part of me misses that building... but we simply outgrew it.  We now occupy 4 addresses downtown, a few blocks away.  But it wasn't very practical... it was broken down into 4 small rooms inside, and with the outside step, and two steps down once you got inside, it wasn't really handicapped-accessible.  It was the end-cap of a small little office-center.  The landlord was eccentric, and collected all sorts of odds and ends, which as you can see, he incorporated into the building.  I'm not sure, but I'm guessing the shopping center was erected in the late '50s or early '60s.  We occupied it from 1988-1996.

thanks. the line out front doesn't really look like comic fans, more like the line I encountered at the Social Security Office when my mother-in-law died. 

19 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Right! You very seldom even get a back to back issue. 

exceptCapsyouwouldseebacktobackCapsuptheyinyang

On 6/14/2019 at 8:52 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Given the number of units that some video games sell in a day or two after release, I’m not surprised that there are players so keen to get started.

I’d rather wait a while until they’ve come down a lot in price. Cheap entertainment for me.

He did this in the age where you can get a video game delivered to your front door on opening day.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:41 AM, jpepx78 said:

Well, British kids probably wanted any comic instead of a particular new comic during WW2.
When England declared war against the Axis Powers there were voluntary civilian evacuations to the countryside or other countries from high risk British cities beginning in September 1939. Only about half of all school-aged children were evacuated initially but the evacuation levels increased with the threat of invasion with the fall of France to Germany and the bombing of London (the Blitz) in 1940. 3.5 million people, mostly children were evacuated but there were some children that did not evacuate.

In this first picture, kids in the Eltham district in southeast London were queueing up and waiting for the newsagent to open to buy comics in August 1943. Rationing was a part of everyday life during WW2 so people had to wait in lines for many items. Comics would be very popular and cheap entertainment since playing outside could be dangerous with the threat of bombings and V-2 rocket attacks in 1944.

In 1992, people lined up to buy Superman #75 where Superman gets killed off by Doomsday. In the second picture, buyers lined up to buy Superman 75 at Beachead Comics in Allentown Pennsylvania on November 20 1992. The store’s order of a 1000 copies of Superman 75 was sold out in a few hours to several hundred buyers. I wonder how many people made money selling their copies?

Oh, I imagine a lot of folks did, if they sold their extras right away.  That was a $25+ book within a week and for a few months afterward.

On 6/14/2019 at 8:51 AM, Robot Man said:

As a kid I remember lining up outside of a record store to buy a new Beatles album or concert tickets but not for a comic book...

As a kid and collector I can remember every collector waiting for FF Annual @1 to come out, as I recall early summer or just before...real excitement  and the wait was worth every penny as that was the cost of 2 comics plus penny...everybody was checking the drugstores or in my case newsstand.