• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artists,Writers communicating with Fans.
1 1

98 posts in this topic

I was starting my webcomics and I got a new scanner and couldnt get it to scan in TIF format.  I emailed Sean Phillips and he looked up my scanner model and told me how to do it.

I mailed jeffrey brown a lot and he sent me lots of artwork I am talking top notch stuff.  

I emailed sophie campbell and had many nice conversations, interviewed her for our website and bought some nice pages from her.

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, kav said:

I was starting my webcomics and I got a new scanner and couldnt get it to scan in TIF format.  I emailed Sean Phillips and he looked up my scanner model and told me how to do it.

That's crazy!!

Alot of good comic book writers and artists coming out of Britain right now.

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

That's crazy!!

Alot of good comic book writers and artists coming out of Britain right now.

I couldnt believe it ps see updated post.

Oh yeah and in 1975 I mailed r crumb and he drew me a pic.

Just now, NoMan said:

I called John Waters when I was a kid (he was in the Baltimore phone book) and asked him low budget film making and about Divine eating Sh*t. He was super cool. 

Some people are supercool.

I heard Miles Davis was a bit much,though.

Same with Sandra Bullock for some reason. Wouldnt know though.

I got to meet Wayne Gretzky when I was a kid...a little disappointed that he signed my poster with my name on it.

Also I got too meet Raffi.

My brief conversation with Kieron Gillen was actually disappointing not that he responded to my unnatural obsequious nature, but that last week it was speculated that Die was getting turned into a series.

I congratulated him on it and he said "Not this year"

What the hell.

24 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I called John Waters when I was a kid (he was in the Baltimore phone book) and asked him low budget film making and about Divine eating Sh*t. He was super cool. 

He’s actually one of my personal heroes. Not that I like his movies or anything, but he went out and did it. I like his general life philosophy 

Heh a couple of artists had a weird interaction with a fan.  I was casually looking at OA at their table. Once the guest left they asked me if they should be considered celebrities.  My response was, you guys are great, but someone to me like McCartney is a celebrity. All of the other rock stars look at McCartney and turn into fanboys.  You guys are exceptional at your jobs.  They looked at me and looked at each other and shrugged and agreed. 

15 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Heh a couple of artists had a weird interaction with a fan.  I was casually looking at OA at their table. Once the guest left they asked me if they should be considered celebrities.  My response was, you guys are great, but someone to me like McCartney is a celebrity. All of the other rock stars look at McCartney and turn into fanboys.  You guys are exceptional at your jobs.  They looked at me and looked at each other and shrugged and agreed. 

If at least 10% of the population doesnt know who you are, you are not a celebrity.

Comic book guys....

Dan Jurgens was a great guy.   I helped out at an ACTOR (now HERO) booth with him years ago.  Just the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet.

Eduardo Risso was fantastic.  Meeting him is one of the "highlights" of my collecting life.

JG Jones is awesome.  Super nice and down-to-earth.  The first time I met him, we talked about the NFL draft that was going on that day.  

Howard Chaykin (if he's in the right mood) will talk your head off.  He's hilarious. 

Derek Robertson is really friendly and a nice guy.

Jason Yungbluth (Deep Fried, Weapon Brown) is always fun to chat with.

Walt Simonson (a Titan in the industry) is always a pleasure.

Hey if folks don't mind me nudging this thread a little to the left (Sorry Hollywood): What's the most cringe-worthy thing you've heard/seen a fan do at an artist/writer/creator's table. For example you're in live for an autograph or whatever and the person in front of you is really a fan boy. A really cringe worthy fan boy. I'll give you one. Once I was cruising (not that kind of cruising) down Hollywood Blvd and somebody was getting a star on the "Walk Of Fame." I stopped. It was Janet Leigh. Her daughter Jamie Leigh Curtis was hanging out looking good in a tight miniskirt so I stayed and chilled awhile. Bunch of fanboys with piles of 8x10s were waiting behind the ropes sweaty, overweight and nervous. When Leigh made her way over to where I was standing I shouted out, "Ms. Leigh!? Was Alfred Hitchcock an odd man?" Before she could answer a fan boy with a stack of photos Leigh was patiently signing began to sweat more and more and kinda started shaking. And than threw up narrowly missing Mr. Leigh. She fled and never answered my question. 

8 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Hey if folks don't mind me nudging this thread a little to the left (Sorry Hollywood): What's the most cringe-worthy thing you've heard/seen a fan do at an artist/writer/creator's table. For example you're in live for an autograph or whatever and the person in front of you is really a fan boy. A really cringe worthy fan boy. I'll give you one. Once I was cruising (not that kind of cruising) down Hollywood Blvd and somebody was getting a star on the "Walk Of Fame." I stopped. It was Janet Leigh. Her daughter Jamie Leigh Curtis was hanging out looking good in a tight miniskirt so I stayed and chilled awhile. Bunch of fanboys with piles of 8x10s were waiting behind the ropes sweaty, overweight and nervous. When Leigh made her way over to where I was standing I shouted out, "Ms. Leigh!? Was Alfred Hitchcock an odd man?" Before she could answer a fan boy with a stack of photos Leigh was patiently signing began to sweat more and more and kinda started shaking. And than threw up narrowly missing Mr. Leigh. She fled and never answered my question. 

tenor.gif?itemid=3557692