• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artists,Writers communicating with Fans.
1 1

98 posts in this topic

I used to write a lot of mostly underground cartoonists in the 90s and almost all of them wrote back and sent me stuff. Kim Deitch sent me a Christmas card for years and xeroxes of stuff he was working on. The only artist I met in person ever was Zina Saunders, she signed some cards she had painted and I asked her stuff about her father's work. She was cool.

11 hours ago, catman76 said:

I used to write a lot of mostly underground cartoonists in the 90s and almost all of them wrote back and sent me stuff. Kim Deitch sent me a Christmas card for years and xeroxes of stuff he was working on. The only artist I met in person ever was Zina Saunders, she signed some cards she had painted and I asked her stuff about her father's work. She was cool.

Me too in the 80s got lots of replies from Dan Clowes, Peter Bagge, Mary Fleener, Lynda Barry, Seth, Dennis Worden, Adrian Tomine and a few others.  I have a whole file of letters and sketches.

9 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Mark Hamil just liked my tweet is that cool?

Tell him they sure boomeranged his character in last jedi wtf

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

You have to let these relationships marinate @kav

I dont want to scare him off!

He's the main one was angry about how his character was handled so this should make a great bond between you

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Genius

Just say Mark you will always be luke skywalker from return of the jedi not the more recent head scratching version that kathleen kennedy and rian johnson came up with-

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:
1 hour ago, kav said:

Just say Mark you will always be luke skywalker from return of the jedi not the more recent head scratching version that kathleen kennedy and rian johnson came up with-

Done

we got kind of a Roxanne looking kind of thing going on :foryou: who's got the nose? 

AcidicTightKagu-size_restricted.gif

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

in the 1980's Marvel advertised in their bullpen pages that fans could send their favorite creators comics to be signed. To this day I can't believe they offered that!

Anyways I sent my Daredevil 168 and 181 to Frank Miller to be signed.

It took a few years, but I eventually got them back signed, along with a copy of some new comic he was working on, issue #1 and it had the blurb "buy this comic or I will shoot this coyote." it was also signed and a letter written by Frank that said "Here are your comics. Please, please, please don't send me anymore comics. I took 6 months off to get through all the books that were sent to me. I am sorry it took me so long. I am hoping a copy of my new book makes it better. Frank Miller"

I don't remember what the other book was.

I attended a comic convention in 1980 that was at the local university here in the city I live in. John Byrne was in attendance, and I got him to sign my Marvel Team-Up 53. While standing there my friend pointed the the guy seated next to John and said to me "I think this guy did something on your Howard the Duck #1". I had brought my copy of Howard the Duck #1 hoping to trade it but had no takers. Turned out the guy seated next to john Byrne was Steve Leialoha who inked the book. Got him to sign it.