• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bullseye......the new sabretooth?

45 posts in this topic

.........seems the huge prices for bullseyes first appearance are continuing......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=719336223

...even his second appearance is going for crazy prices...........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=719342550

...are we about to see a huge guide jump for these issues as happened for IF #14 when the x-men movie hit?....................... crazy.gif

I posted this on the DD thread but I'll post it here too. Prior to the X-men movie even being announced, IF 14 was still a 60-70 dollar book..I don't really know about DD 131 but prior to the movie I'd never even heard of it..as I'm sure some other people out there hadn't as well. Also, X-men seem to appeal to a broader base of fans then DD...and dishing out pretty big money for (what I can tell on these boards anyways) a 2nd tier villain seems a bit dumb.

Brian

To some, myself included, Bullseye is really not viewed as a 2nd tier villain... maybe an overlooked, underused one if anything. He, like Elektra, is another Miller created (or "recreated" in this case) character that has not lost all of the magic and mystique that Miller breathed into him years back. Especially to those who read and followed the Miller run back in the day.

The DD movie frenzy has reminded some of how awesome a character he was in Miller's hands. He has not done too much since, but with the appearance in the movie it is probable he'll emerge in comics as a fan favorite again. I hope. Hence, the scramble for his 1st and early appearances.

DD 131 is a cool covered, undervalued (in the guide), harder to find "semi-key" well on its way to becoming a widespread "full blown bronze key" in my mind. Like all the DD's and related books I'm sure we can expect a decline in value after the movie fades... but since DD is considered undervalued (primarily SA issues) as a whole by many I've spoken with... maybe DD in general (and 131 too) will fare better than ASM in after movie appeal.

I expect DD 131 to remain a highly coveted issue from here on out. I guess "after movie" value will obviously have to do more with... if only (5) more 9.4/9.6's show up or (20), and if they use him well in the future. Either way, HG 131's will be snapped up by hungy fans and/or speculators. I personally don't feel we'll see nearly as many HG copies of DD 131as we have of IF 14, even years down the road... but that's just my hunch.

I still don't understand how it just so happens that the movie comes out and suddenly there's thousands of Bullseye fans who are willing to pay whatever it takes to buy the issue.. sure the exposure helps...probably even makes the issue...but where was the demand prior to the movie..if he wasn't 2nd tier SOMEONE must've been buying this issue?

Brian

The most plausible answer is... until recently HG supply was very limited for a number of reasons. One being value in the guide (which is way off).... as such, the book was not viewed as a "moneymaker" by dealers if CGC'd, so it wasn't. Since Bullseye fans had nothng to buy, there was little to talk about, and no way to gauge the real demand for a HG CGC copy. I'm sure the book was on many want lists. It was on mine, and I had little luck finding any for some time.

I had been waiting for a CGC copy to surface, but none did. So I started looking for ungraded gems as early as 2 years ago... before I ever heard about the movie and Bullseye being in it. I know a few collectors that were looking for a HG copy as well just because they liked the character.

Eventually, I found 2 HG Ungraded copies that fortunately graded 9.4 and also bought another 9.4 and 9.2 over a year ago in a private deal. I was happy to acquire the dupes for potential trades since I had such trouble finding them and had friends looking too. According to the census at the time there were not many more than that graded at 9.2/9.4.

I suppose we're starting to see how many HG CGC copies are really out there. "IF" supply continues, we'll find out exactly how deep the support for Bullseye is.. it should be interesting.

I'd have a hard time believing that it's THAT rare that none were offered on eBay..even books that were at low prices in the guide were regularly being sold on eBay..now if you want to tell me there's a core group of Bullseye buyers then that'll be fine..but outside of that "core group" all you're seeing are speculators it's not like people said "oh he's in the movie, I'm suddenly a huge fan..let's buy all his stuff" smile.gif

Brian

"The DD movie frenzy has reminded some of how awesome a character he was in Miller's hands. He has not done too much since, but with the appearance in the movie it is probable he'll emerge in comics as a fan favorite again. I hope. Hence, the scramble for his 1st and early appearances. "

.....what do you mean hes not done much since miller?..................what about kevin smith's run on the new dd series, bullseye was his major villain and he murdered matt's long time girl-friend karen page................if that's not exposure, big time, then i don't know what is......................didn't see much action on dd #131 from the new 'fan boys' reading smith's stuff.......................so i think maybe murph0's theory of just a core group chasing the #131's rings true...............

............i don't think bullseye has that much long term potential after the movie.............compared to sabretooth say, let's face it he's a bit of a loser............ grin.gif

Daredevil 131 is a fad book that will rise and fall with the movie. Once it's out of the theatres (a few weeks?) then it'll be back to a standard mini-key in no time.

Sabretooth is a different case, as it was a $75-$100 book before the movie and even in the early 80's, it was listed at that price (after the Mutant Massacre storyline put Sabes on the map).

DD 131 was a $25-$35 NM book before the initial DD hype started up a year or so ago, and I can't see it maintaining a $500 price tag for long.

Hey murph0,

I can only speak from my experience... I had a hard time finding any ungraded's in solid NM. Few were posted online and even through websites and networking I had difficulty. Admittedly, I only hit one show during that span, but found no promising copies there either.

To elaborate... there were no CGC copies that I ever saw until about a year ago or so (I'm not a steel trap on time), and months after I obtained my copies from CGC and those others in a private deal...

Then you are certainly right on... some did appear on ebay, but not many...

If I recall correctly... (1-2) 9.4's and later on (2) 9.6's within 2 weeks of one another. I upgraded to one of them.

If could be that others had more success locating them than I, but we did not see many CGC copies as evidence.