• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tape on cover, regrade?

13 posts in this topic

Need some advice. Bought a old CGC Green Lantern #2 graded 2.0, case is cracked. Tape on lower cover edge 1". Thinking of just reholdering it, but if I had it pressed and their new stance on tape...would I possibly get a higher grade? Just wondering...Thanks. 

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1489 (1).jpg

Edited by Trifisherjoe

I cannot tell you what CGC would do but tape on the cover is allowed up to a VG- 3.5 so it would depend on the overall grade of the book, also CGC has changed its stance on tape so how will that affect it?

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3327/CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape/

So based on their new stance they would grade the book as if there is no tape could that then there possible drop the grade on the book as if its holding a tear together? 

If that's the case I would just re holder.

I was under the assumption that a book, graded before the rule changes on tape, cannot be reholdered, it must be regraded. However, in this case, the book is very low grade already so it may not matter or be allowed for reholder only. I honestly don't know but keep in mind this is not an expensive book. 

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:38 AM, marvelmaniac said:

I cannot tell you what CGC would do but tape on the cover is allowed up to a VG- 3.5 so it would depend on the overall grade of the book, also CGC has changed its stance on tape so how will that affect it?

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3327/CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape/

Great info. Is this link the most recent stance from CGC on tape? I was told by someone at my local comic shop that they were changing it to a 1.5 if a book had tape for a blue lable or it could get a green lable and grade would be done based on books condition like the tape wasn't there. Glad I found this page to correct this info in my head.

21 hours ago, Krishosein said:

So based on their new stance they would grade the book as if there is no tape could that then there possible drop the grade on the book as if its holding a tear together? 

If that's the case I would just re holder.

The book would be graded as if the tape was not present.

IMO going by the current grading standards the book would remain where it is, GD - 1.8 worse case scenario.

12 hours ago, explosive&kitkat said:

Great info. Is this link the most recent stance from CGC on tape? I was told by someone at my local comic shop that they were changing it to a 1.5 if a book had tape for a blue label or it could get a green label and grade would be done based on books condition like the tape wasn't there. Glad I found this page to correct this info in my head.

That is the "latest" view on tape by CGC and tape is very common on books up to and including GD/VG 3.0.

2.0 GOOD (GD):  Back to Top
Shows substantial wear; often considered a "reading copy." Cover shows significant wear and may even be detached. Cover reflectivity is low and in some cases completely absent. Book-length creases and dimples may be present. Rounded corners are more common. Moderate soiling, staining, discoloration and foxing may be present. The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square, although some Silver Age books such as 1960s Marvels have had the price corner box clipped from the top left front cover and may be considered Good if they would otherwise have graded higher. Tape and other forms of amateur repair are common in Silver Age and older books. Spine roll is likely. May have up to a 2" spine split. Staples may be degraded, replaced or missing. Moderate staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Centerfold may be loose or detached. Moderate interior tears may be present.

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG):  Back to Top
A used comic book showing some substantial wear. Cover shows significant wear, and may be loose or even detached at one staple. Cover reflectivity is very low. Can have a book-length crease and/or dimples. Corners may be blunted or even rounded. Discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor to moderate soiling is allowed. A triangle from 1/4" to 1/2" can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" to 1/4" square is also acceptable. Tape and other amateur repair may be present. Moderate spine roll likely. May have a spine split of anywhere from 1" to 1-1/2". Staples may be rusted or replaced. Minor to moderate staple tears and moderate stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present.

I'm new to this, so thanks for the advice! I think I'll send in for a press and regrade. Lets see how this ends up, keep the chat going. I'll pack up and send out tomorrow...update, with pics in 2 months,ugh...guess that's how long it takes normally. I paid $20 for this comic, don't care of value because I like it. Thanks again!

10 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

The book would be graded as if the tape was not present.

IMO going by the current grading standards the book would remain where it is, GD - 1.8 worse case scenario.

That is the "latest" view on tape by CGC and tape is very common on books up to and including GD/VG 3.0.

2.0 GOOD (GD):  Back to Top
Shows substantial wear; often considered a "reading copy." Cover shows significant wear and may even be detached. Cover reflectivity is low and in some cases completely absent. Book-length creases and dimples may be present. Rounded corners are more common. Moderate soiling, staining, discoloration and foxing may be present. The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square, although some Silver Age books such as 1960s Marvels have had the price corner box clipped from the top left front cover and may be considered Good if they would otherwise have graded higher. Tape and other forms of amateur repair are common in Silver Age and older books. Spine roll is likely. May have up to a 2" spine split. Staples may be degraded, replaced or missing. Moderate staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Centerfold may be loose or detached. Moderate interior tears may be present.

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG):  Back to Top
A used comic book showing some substantial wear. Cover shows significant wear, and may be loose or even detached at one staple. Cover reflectivity is very low. Can have a book-length crease and/or dimples. Corners may be blunted or even rounded. Discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor to moderate soiling is allowed. A triangle from 1/4" to 1/2" can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" to 1/4" square is also acceptable. Tape and other amateur repair may be present. Moderate spine roll likely. May have a spine split of anywhere from 1" to 1-1/2". Staples may be rusted or replaced. Minor to moderate staple tears and moderate stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present.

Thank you for the info. Most likely just added a couple books to my upcoming submission.

8 minutes ago, Trifisherjoe said:

Got it back today, 2.0...should have reholdered it only. It's ok, I'm learning, thanks for advice. Got it out of that old broken case, and put it a fresh new one!

I think what may have been overlooked here are the 2 extra staples added to the book that were not part of the manufacturing process. That's actually a pretty major flaw which I'm sure influenced the grade as well... 

Edited by The Lions Den