• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay buyer wants to return my raw book after CGC'd, if the grade is less than what I stated on the listing...
2 2

131 posts in this topic

Anybody else have this happen? Pretty sure I'll have to refund his money regardless, if he goes through Paypal... I'm inclined to do it anyway just to avoid the hassle and negative feedback... it's only $150ish. But...

giphy.gif

Edited by oldrover

7 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Anybody else have this happen? Pretty sure I'll have to refund his money regardless, if he goes through Paypal... I'm inclined to do it anyway just to avoid the hassle and negative feedback... it's only $150ish. But...

giphy.gif

No choice. Even if it was CGCed already. Even if your language includes "as is", "no returns", etc. Even if no argument could be made for the grade being an issue. A buyer using paypal can do as he pleases, he holds all the chips.. A case may be opened for any reason, from "looks different than the picture" to "found it cheaper elsewhere", and no buyer substantiation is needed, which is what makes consignment sellers like Heritage, ComicLink, ComicConnect, etc. a blessing.

Why sellers `

How much of a grade drop are we talking?

Just for fun did you ask him if it came back higher, would he have contacted you? lol seriously don't do that and just refund once you get the book back, but what grade drop?

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Just for fun did you ask him if it came back higher, would he have contacted you? lol seriously don't do that and just refund once you get the book back, but what grade drop?

This is why so many sellers on ebay have moved to using non-grade specific terminology.

Just now, James J Johnson said:

This is why so many sellers on ebay have moved to using non-grade specific terminology.

I remember I bought an X-Men #266 advertised as vf/NM of ebay...

Got Jim Lee to sign it at a con...

Came back 9.2...

I contacted the seller to tell him it came back higher than estimated...

I didn't "offer" money, neither did he "ask"

But I wanted the seller to know it was a decent listing...

I paid like $90 for it, so it was fmv kinda but at least he was decent and I agreed to pay.. etc...

30 minutes ago, oldrover said:

giphy.gif

To be honest, with the type of high-ticket items you're selling on ebay, I'm surprised you're not consigning the CGC items to a major.

IMO, it takes a leap of faith of about 100 yards more than I'd be willing to take to collect a $40,000 paypal payment for an ebay sale. I'd be holding my breath, praying for no chargeback for the 6 months the buyer has to dispute the purchase! With the consignment majors handling it, you get paid and if there's a problem later on, it's not your problem. Not that they should have one but they are being paid for facilitating sales and with those sales always come risks as far as the payment goes when PP or CCs are used.

Edited by James J Johnson

11 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

He hasn't gotten it back yet. It has a manufacturing error (printing crease), and he's worried it will be counted as a flaw. (ASM #66)

I told him, and said on the listing, that I had another of these books with the same flaw, that I listed at that point as VG-FN, since I wasn't thinking manufacturing error. The book sold at auction for $80... WAY above grade.

Which I thought nothing of at the time, since I wasn't familiar with the book per se... until I went to sell my OTHER copy... and it had the same exact defect!!!

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

To be honest, with the type of high-ticket items you're selling on ebay, I'm surprised you're not consigning the CGC items to a major.

IMO, it takes a leap of faith of about 100 yards more than I'd be willing to take to collect a $40,000 paypal payment for an ebay sale. I'd be holding my breath, praying for no chargeback for the 6 months the buyer has to dispute the purchase! With the consignment majors handling it, you get paid and if there's a problem later on, it's not your problem. Not that they should have one but they are being paid for facilitating sales and with those sales always come risks as far as the payment goes when PP or CCs are used.

(hijack to address OT comment)

I have to say I've been very fortunate. Registered mail restricted delivery has been my friend. The only book I was really nervous about was the Hulk #1... and maybe that would have done better at a consignment house. But I only paid eBay $250 for the sale. With a consignment house it would have been 10%, and the book was probably going to max at $35K anyway, so it's not much of a hit. Altho the symmetry would have been nice if I sold it through heritage, since that's where I bought it. :)

(lojack to get back on topic)

1 minute ago, BobBain said:

CGC is going to take more time to get it, and to get it back, than eBay/PayPal allows on claiming "not as described". 

I've won these types of cases in the past.

I was pretty accurate in describing it... in fact, in the listing I even showed a photo of my other ASM #66 that has the same error. But I know darn well I can sell the book again. I'm good either way... I just can't imagine ever making this demand of a seller. But such is life..

3 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I was pretty accurate in describing it... in fact, in the listing I even showed a photo of my other ASM #66 that has the same error. But I know darn well I can sell the book again. I'm good either way... I just can't imagine ever making this demand of a seller. But such is life..

Be as nice as you can be nicer even so he sends the book in the slab so bingo you get a free slab.

^^

Just now, kav said:

Be as nice as you can be nicer even so he sends the book in the slab so bingo you get a free slab.

^^

I'm sure he would crack the slab, as he would be PO'd... and as someone who's done that a few times regretfully, I can see how the book could get damaged if you don't take extreme care, and people who are angry tend not to do that.

So I could wind up with both the money AND a lower grade copy of the book. :)

2 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I'm sure he would crack the slab, as he would be PO'd... and as someone who's done that a few times regretfully, I can see how the book could get damaged if you don't take extreme care, and people who are angry tend not to do that.

So I could wind up with both the money AND a lower grade copy of the book. :)

Just be NICE.  EXTRA nice.  

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

With a consignment house it would have been 10%, and the book was probably going to max at $35K anyway, so it's not much of a hit.

With a book like that, you can negotiate a lower consignment percentage. 

1 minute ago, Bird said:

I would tell him no and make him force the issue. Don't reinforce this type of behavior.

I tend to agree lol well a little...

@oldrover Did you specifically say it would come back a "CGC" vg/fn?

If he chose cgc, and you had "meant another company", he wouldn't have a leg to stand on (: