• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay buyer wants to return my raw book after CGC'd, if the grade is less than what I stated on the listing...
2 2

131 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Delivered on June 14th... yesterday. I guess he took it to a dealer today to CGC it, and the dealer said CGC would count the manufacturing error in the grade.

Not sure what level he CGC'd it at. If it was me, I'd do the value fast track... so, to be continued in about 3 months.

Economy Fast Track - 22 business days and Value Fast Track - 31 business days. Weekends and Holidays are not counted.  Shipping out of CGC is about 2-4 business days. I think it may too late from him to turn the table on you.

14 minutes ago, kav said:

manufacturing errors do not impact grade.  Not sure what dealer smoking.

Both are smoking together.

7 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Economy Fast Track - 22 business days and Value Fast Track - 31 business days. Weekends and Holidays are not counted.  Shipping out of CGC is about 2-4 business days. I think it may too late from him to turn the table on you.

Both are smoking together.

InfiniteMediumGermanwirehairedpointer-si

Kav is actually right.

I've had very few returns, probably 3 over 5-6 yrs.

If you can agree something with the buyer - all well and good, case closed.

If not, I have never seen ebay or Paypal side with the seller if the reason is 'I'm not happy' because of 'X,Y,Z'.

Now if they are claiming damage, and you show clear proof thats a lie, then you will win.

But yes, a simple 'I'm not happy' get the buyer a win 100% of the time.

Take the book back, refund, block, move on.

It's a buyers medium, and this all started with the ability to leave a buyer a neg being removed. I'm seeing more and more people attempting to claim for 'non-delivery' - so I use my own private courier account with it's own tracking.

Which has knocked 2 'non-recieved' claims out the park. 

It's only going to get worse and worse until ebay get it through their thick heads that with no sellers, there will be no buyers.

But at the moment, the buyer wins for 'not as described' 100% of the time - unless they claim specific damage which you can disprove with pics.

Edited by Beige

5 minutes ago, Beige said:

Kav is actually right.

I've had very few returns, probably 3 over 5-6 yrs.

If you can agree something with the buyer - all well and good, case closed.

If not, I have never seen ebay or Paypal side with the seller if the reason is 'I'm not happy' because of 'X,Y,Z'.

Now if they are claiming damage, and you show clear proof thats a lie, then you will win.

But yes, a simple 'I'm not happy' get the buyer a win 100% of the time.

Take the book back, refund, block, move on.

It's a buyers medium, and this all started with the ability to leave a buyer a neg being removed. I'm seeing more and more people attempting to claim for 'non-delivery' - so I use my own private courier account with it's own tracking.

Which has knocked 2 'non-recieved' claims out the park. 

It's only going to get worse and worse until ebay get it through their thick heads that with no sellers, there will be no buyers.

But at the moment, the buyer wins for 'not as described' 100% of the time - unless they claim specific damage which you can disprove with pics.

I understand Buzz has been able to outwit some witless buyers but that is the extreme exception not the rule.

IMO that is the beauty of this forum , we buy, sell , trade and even hunt for each others comics . Although on the newer side here , I’ve yet to purchase a raw book on here where the seller didn’t vouch for its credibility . That respect and honestly is lost and outsourced somewhere between eBay and PayPal . Generally ,I’ve noticed that if I ask someone on eBay if they will vouch for a comic ... I tend to get the standard deer in headlights response . Either way ...when you are the seller on eBay , you tend to always be the defendant 

FWIW, I usually say something on the line of:

Due to the "CGC tight/loose grading cycle's"  and nobody knows what mood they in, and any given time, "I DO NOT WARRANT THE GRADE, BUT WILL WARRANT NO RESTO, IF THE BOOK COMES BACK PLOD, or green label, FULL REFUND"

I have never had a issue with a buyer, using the above

Bri

2 hours ago, kav said:

There may be sidereal issues in which ebay may side with seller.  Like if buyer didnt read description and wants to return for reason which was clearly outlined in description.  But I guarantee if I buy something from you and just state 'item not as described' I WILL get my money back.

You might.   

eBay seems to be siding more and more with sellers lately as quality product is moving off site to other venues.  Many sellers don't want to deal with the tax situation and are moving to Facebook.  This is already after sellers were moving to other venues to due to eBay's siding with buyers.   Without sellers there are no buyers.  Now you may believe the reverse is true but it is not.   If there is only one seller and he only sells Star Wars figures then all the buyers will know that eBay only has a few guys that sell only Star Wars... The more offerings there are on eBay, the more sellers, the more likely a buyer will find what they are looking for. 

eBay is finally starting to realize that they need to win back the sellers. 

You might.

BUT... As I like to point out... I am not going to go into public detail as to what I do or the level I take things.

I agree that the buyer almost always wins but sometimes you bluff and sometimes you call the bluff. The best hand does not always win. You have to try not to reinforce the buyer's entitled attitude and make them follow ebay procedures rather than just cave at the first threat of a return. The seller here has nothing to lose that he wouldn't lose on a return anyway and everything to gain, whether it is a "free" slab on the return or the buyer deciding against pursuing it or actually having ebay side with them. If the seller stands behind his product and believes that the buyer is trying to gain an undue advantage then stand firm. You may get a refund from me for something that does not deserve it but it won't be because I threw my hands up in the air and said whatever. Now none of this goes for a valid return, which I have refunded for quickly and without issue (due to damage in the mail for instance).

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

You might.   

eBay seems to be siding more and more with sellers lately as quality product is moving off site to other venues.  Many sellers don't want to deal with the tax situation and are moving to Facebook.  This is already after sellers were moving to other venues to due to eBay's siding with buyers.   Without sellers there are no buyers.  Now you may believe the reverse is true but it is not.   If there is only one seller and he only sells Star Wars figures then all the buyers will know that eBay only has a few guys that sell only Star Wars... The more offerings there are on eBay, the more sellers, the more likely a buyer will find what they are looking for. 

eBay is finally starting to realize that they need to win back the sellers. 

You might.

BUT... As I like to point out... I am not going to go into public detail as to what I do or the level I take things.

Well if you are right why would sellers move off ebay?  They can stop a return as you just stated.  Your two assertions are mutually contradictory.

6 minutes ago, Bunky Brian said:

FWIW, I usually say something on the line of:

Due to the "CGC tight/loose grading cycle's"  and nobody knows what mood they in, and any given time, "I DO NOT WARRANT THE GRADE, BUT WILL WARRANT NO RESTO, IF THE BOOK COMES BACK PLOD, or green label, FULL REFUND"

I have never had a issue with a buyer, using the above

Bri

Yup 

Last year someone filed a Not as Described on a CGC book.  Again, I am not going to publicly say what I did but they soon let me know that they disagreed with the CGC grade despite my high res scans. I called up eBay and they closed the case and refused to take the book back.  On another occasion I did allow the book to be returned because the buyer disagreed with the grade.  I knew he bought the book at a steal and was happy to have the book back so I took it back.   I sold it a week later at a 40% increase in price.   He had actually messaged me while the book was for sale the second time if he could buy it back again because he realized it was a good price for the book but noticed he was blocked.    SMH 

1 minute ago, Bird said:

I agree that the buyer almost always wins but sometimes you bluff and sometimes you call the bluff. The best hand does not always win. You have to try not to reinforce the buyer's entitled attitude and make them follow ebay procedures rather than just cave at the first threat of a return. The seller here has nothing to lose that he wouldn't lose on a return anyway and everything to gain, whether it is a "free" slab on the return or the buyer deciding against pursuing it or actually having ebay side with them. If the seller stands behind his product and believes that the buyer is trying to gain an undue advantage then stand firm. You may get a refund from me for something that does not deserve it but it won't be because I threw my hands up in the air and said whatever. Now none of this goes for a valid return, which I have refunded for quickly and without issue (due to damage in the mail for instance).

In this case I urge the OP to fight this one.  He has a pretty strong argument.  He gave his grade which he is allowed to do.  He did not state this is the same grade CGC will give it.  The pics clearly show the flaw that is at issue.

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

Absolutely... I will always take back a valid return... When you have been doing it for awhile though... you get a good feel as for who is screwing around and who is not. 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Yup 

Last year someone filed a Not as Described on a CGC book.  Again, I am not going to publicly say what I did but they soon let me know that they disagreed with the CGC grade despite my high res scans. I called up eBay and they closed the case and refused to take the book back.  On another occasion I did allow the book to be returned because the buyer disagreed with the grade.  I knew he bought the book at a steal and was happy to have the book back so I took it back.   I sold it a week later at a 40% increase in price.   He had actually messaged me while the book was for sale the second time if he could buy it back again because he realized it was a good price for the book but noticed he was blocked.    SMH 

some people.  

yes even though you kinda screwed me I will be happy to give you the opportunity to have the book cheap even though I can make 40% more now that it is back in my hands.  This will not be a problem thank you for shopping on ebay!

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Well if you are right why would sellers move off ebay?  They can stop a return as you just stated.  Your two assertions are mutually contradictory.

As said, some people just wave their hands in the air and give up.   They are not contradictory.  They are only contradictory because you cannot accept that in this case you may not fully understand what you are talking about or how to go about certain things... Doesn't make you a bad guy... just might mean that you don't have all the information that you think you do. 

Just now, Buzzetta said:

As said, some people just wave their hands in the air and give up.   They are not contradictory.  They are only contradictory because you cannot accept that in this case you may not fully understand what you are talking about or how to go about certain things... Doesn't make you a bad guy... just might mean that you don't have all the information that you think you do. 

Are you saying if someone bought an item and only said 'not as described' and nothing more, you would still win the dispute?

If it came back not in the slab the seller could say that it came back not as described for return. 

Take pics and say eBay look this isn't as described it's no longer graded....

Before releasing funds...

Other wise free slab!

PayPal no longer refunds their 3% on returns, another reason eBay sides with buyers now?

Also Buzz you realize you are saying "You are wrong.  I cannot tell how you are wrong or give any evidence of that, but just trust me-you are wrong"...