• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay buyer wants to return my raw book after CGC'd, if the grade is less than what I stated on the listing...
2 2

131 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I tend to agree lol well a little...

@oldrover Did you specifically say it would come back a "CGC" vg/fn?

If he chose cgc, and you had "meant another company", he wouldn't have a leg to stand on (: 

I did mention CGC specifically regarding manufacturing errors, so no go there. That in itself was probably the door opener. And I don’t usually talk about CGC in a listing, unless the book is already slabbed. Now I’m just wishing I’d slabbed the darn thing. LOL 

12 minutes ago, Bird said:

I would tell him no and make him force the issue. Don't reinforce this type of behavior.

why are you urging him to fight a battle he cannot win and in fact can lose more if the guy really gets angry?  Theoretically the guy can get refund and send back a german newpaper-

1 minute ago, kav said:

why are you urging him to fight a battle he cannot win and in fact can lose more if the guy really gets angry?  Theoretically the guy can get refund and send back a german newpaper-

LOL No, he can't do that. I have seen Paypal deny claims based on damage. Plus once I get the package, I will video opening it. ;)

1 minute ago, oldrover said:

LOL No, he can't do that. I have seen Paypal deny claims based on damage. Plus once I get the package, I will video opening it. ;)

I've seen many stories where damaged return the seller still ate it and video of opening proves nothing as a package can be opened, german newspaper inserted, sealed back up then reopened while videoing.

15 minutes ago, kav said:

I've seen many stories where damaged return the seller still ate it and video of opening proves nothing as a package can be opened, german newspaper inserted, sealed back up then reopened while videoing.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

8 minutes ago, Bird said:

Pete & Pete! My eldest daughter enjoyed this growing up.

y1l.gif

I always use the old method for raw books 

Fair, Good, VG, Fine, VF, NM with +/- sometimes thrown in. 

I would NEVER ever grade a book to what you think a grading company will grade it to.

Now, @kav has says you will just have to take things back.  Again, and I repeat, "No you do not."  Have I taken items back?  Yes.  Have I refused to take an item back?  Yes... and eBay has sided with me. 

Here is the way I look at it.  Everything I sell on eBay could shut down tomorrow and I will still be fine. If I have someone trying to take advantage of an item I do not want them to ever shop with me again anyway. There is no harm in fighting a return.  No matter the outcome you are going to block the buyer anyway. 

56 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I always use the old method for raw books 

Fair, Good, VG, Fine, VF, NM with +/- sometimes thrown in. 

I would NEVER ever grade a book to what you think a grading company will grade it to.

Now, @kav has says you will just have to take things back.  Again, and I repeat, "No you do not."  Have I taken items back?  Yes.  Have I refused to take an item back?  Yes... and eBay has sided with me. 

Here is the way I look at it.  Everything I sell on eBay could shut down tomorrow and I will still be fine. If I have someone trying to take advantage of an item I do not want them to ever shop with me again anyway. There is no harm in fighting a return.  No matter the outcome you are going to block the buyer anyway. 

If buyer says item not as described you have to take it back.  No ifs ands or buts about this.

18 minutes ago, kav said:

If buyer says item not as described you have to take it back.  No ifs ands or buts about this.

Yet, I call eBay and don’t take it back... 

so who is right in this situation?

You who says no ifs ands or buts about this in theory or myself who challenged one of those a little while ago and the buyer lost the case?  It’s all in how you articulate yourself evidence you have.

Edited by Buzzetta

20 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Yet, I call eBay and don’t take it back... 

so who is right in this situation?

You who says no ifs ands or buts about this in theory or myself who challenged one of those a little while ago and the buyer lost the case?  It’s all in how you articulate yourself evidence you have.

There may be sidereal issues in which ebay may side with seller.  Like if buyer didnt read description and wants to return for reason which was clearly outlined in description.  But I guarantee if I buy something from you and just state 'item not as described' I WILL get my money back.

Thats not even going into the shenanigans a miscreant buyer can do like ripping an internal page and demanding refund.  You may win against clueless buyer but an informed determined buyer-never.

28 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

I recalled eBay mentioned about 34 days after the date of a purchase before opening the case.  That was a long time ago. When your book was sold and was delivered?

Delivered on June 14th... yesterday. I guess he took it to a dealer today to CGC it, and the dealer said CGC would count the manufacturing error in the grade.

Not sure what level he CGC'd it at. If it was me, I'd do the value fast track... so, to be continued in about 3 months.

1 minute ago, oldrover said:

Delivered on June 14th... yesterday. I guess he took it to a dealer today to CGC it, and the dealer said CGC would count the manufacturing error in the grade.

Not sure what level he CGC'd it at. If it was me, I'd do the value fast track... so, to be continued in about 3 months.

manufacturing errors do not impact grade.  Not sure what dealer smoking.