• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay buyer wants to return my raw book after CGC'd, if the grade is less than what I stated on the listing...
2 2

131 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

If it came back not in the slab the seller could say that it came back not as described for return. 

Take pics and say eBay look this isn't as described it's no longer graded....

Before releasing funds...

Other wise free slab!

PayPal no longer refunds their 3% on returns, another reason eBay sides with buyers now?

I refunded for damaged in the mail about a week ago and the fee was still included in the refund. I know paypal said they were stopping the refunding of fees but has anyone had that happen to them?

Just now, Bird said:

I refunded for damaged in the mail about a week ago and the fee was still included in the refund. I know paypal said they were stopping the refunding of fees but has anyone had that happen to them?

Interesting... no hadn't happened yo me yet... so here's hoping for ongoing stability...

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Interesting... no hadn't happened yo me yet... so here's hoping for ongoing stability...

Yeah, I was totally expecting it but was pleasantly surprised. I am taping things like crazy this week as well!

15 minutes ago, kav said:

Are you saying if someone bought an item and only said 'not as described' and nothing more, you would still win the dispute?

I've done it. 

It mostly happens with jewelry as many women think that this is a try it on and wear it out for a night thing and then come back and return it service.  Now keep in mind that I sell the jewelry on two accounts and attract the same buyers.  It is interesting that the same buyers have the same practices across eBay.  Made me realize that it's not me... it's the specific buyer.  I am not going to tell you what I do publicly because why give those who are up to no good a tactic?   You want to ask my privately I will tell you a few more but not all the details. 

But I've done it.   You asked if someone bought an item and only said 'not as described' and nothing more would I win the dispute.  

I have. 

Ever think that when it comes to something like this... I may argue better than you think I can?

Edited by Buzzetta

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I've done it. 

It mostly happens with jewelry as many women think that this is a try it on and wear it out for a night thing and then come back and return it service.  Now keep in mind that I sell the jewelry on two accounts and attract the same buyers.  It is interesting that the same buyers have the same practices across eBay.  Made me realize that it's not me... it's the specific buyer.  I am not going to tell you what I do publicly because why give those who are up to no good a tactic?   You want to ask my privately I will tell you a few more but not all the details. 

But I've done it.   You asked if someone bought an item and only said 'not as described' and nothing more would I win the dispute.  

I have. 

Ever think that when it comes to something like this... I may argue better than you think I can?

Is it jewelry specific or have you used the same strategy with comics?  

1 minute ago, kav said:

Is it jewelry specific or have you used the same strategy with comics?  

I've not had something happen specifically with a comic book since I started doing what I do and eBay made some changes to their policies. 

The last comic that the buyer initiated a return was the one where I took it back and sold it for more.   That was great btw... because that was nothing more than double buyer's remorse.   Remorse for buying it then later realizing that he should have never returned it and wanted to buy it back. 

I don't advertise my eBay stuff for sale here... but I know a bunch of people know what it is.  As people can see from my feedback I've shipped $10 books to $1200 books.  I just shipped $500 worth of books the other day.  I go out of my way to make sure that someone gets something to the level that I would expect to get my own purchases. However, if I sense that you are screwing around with me and I do some digging and find out my little spidey-sense is 100% right... 

God help you. 

I've encountered some scam artists over the years.  

Here is a tip for the boards btw. 

Some people have buying and selling accounts.  Before you take back a CGC graded comic book make sure that another account, different from your buyer, does not have it listed for sale at a higher price for a couple of weeks before they initiate the return.  That was a fear that many people had when eBay made changes to the window of opportunity for returns.  I caught someone being that stupid once. 

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I've not had something happen specifically with a comic book since I started doing what I do and eBay made some changes to their policies. 

The last comic that the buyer initiated a return was the one where I took it back and sold it for more.   That was great btw... because that was nothing more than double buyer's remorse.   Remorse for buying it then later realizing that he should have never returned it and wanted to buy it back. 

I don't advertise my eBay stuff for sale here... but I know a bunch of people know what it is.  As people can see from my feedback I've shipped $10 books to $1200 books.  I just shipped $500 worth of books the other day.  I go out of my way to make sure that someone gets something to the level that I would expect to get my own purchases. However, if I sense that you are screwing around with me and I do some digging and find out my little spidey-sense is 100% right... 

God help you. 

I've encountered some scam artists over the years.  

Here is a tip for the boards btw. 

Some people have buying and selling accounts.  Before you take back a CGC graded comic book make sure that another account, different from your buyer, does not have it listed for sale at a higher price for a couple of weeks before they initiate the return.  That was a fear that many people had when eBay made changes to the window of opportunity for returns.  I caught someone being that stupid once. 

I was just wondering because jewelry is kind of a special case.  Many things can be debated about the condition of a comic but a gold ring is a gold ring-there's not much leeway for saying 'It's not what I expected from the description!'Related image

to the OP--- make sure to point out this buyer in the EBAY BLOCKED Thread so we know who might try this backdoor approach to altering a deal AFTER the sale has been made.

That is exactly what this person is attempting to do-- change the terms of the deal after they have the book in hand. When I buy something on bay, I check it out and factor in the worst case scenario-- and how badly I stand to lose if all things go sideways. The way I see it- decent buyers give a price based on what they see and not what some random seller says about the book (over grading it - who takes those estimated grades as the same as a professionally graded service?). I am not a high grade buyer though-- mostly mid grade-- so my wiggle room is a little more generous. As a seller-- I give the best description and my estimated grade range and am explicit that it is just my opinion, provide them with plenty of scans and answer questions if needed. Only ran into one situation selling comics in the past 5 years-- and that was because I failed to notice a missing center wrap on a book I got as part of a lot of books I purchased for several books that were not the one I sold. It was not a big amount-- so I just told the buyer to keep it and refunded them the price of the book (not the shipping though - it was a multiple book combined shipping).

Side point Buzz:  if you're saying it's your personal argument skills that are the key, then that does not really apply here as a general statement about the ease of fighting returns on ebay.

37 minutes ago, kav said:

In this case I urge the OP to fight this one.  He has a pretty strong argument.  He gave his grade which he is allowed to do.  He did not state this is the same grade CGC will give it.  The pics clearly show the flaw that is at issue.

Thanks. I guess you looked up the sale. 

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I was just wondering because jewelry is kind of a special case.  Many things can be debated about the condition of a comic but a gold ring is a gold ring-there's not much leeway for saying 'It's not what I expected from the description!'Related image

That's not true.  There could be blemishes, indentations, chipped stones, cracks or tears in the metal. 

Consider that you are talking about a comic where you have an independent third party grading a comic book and even though that advertised third party encapsulates a book with a 9.4 designation, the book is advertised and sold in a 9.4 condition, someone wants to return it because it is not as described because they disagree with the grade. 

Comics are easy. 

2 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Thanks. I guess you looked up the sale. 

dear ebay he wants a return based on what some random comic shop dude told him.  This has gotta be a no-no.

1 hour ago, kav said:

dear ebay he wants a return based on what some random comic shop dude told him.  This has gotta be a no-no.

Doesn't matter if the buyer read the leaves in his tea and they gave him a message to return it when 2 of the reasons as options for a return are, "found it cheaper elsewhere", and "changed my mind", These reasons bypass condition, representation, seller performance of any kind, good or bad, or any of the standard barometers of approval a buyer can or doesn't have for the item received. It might be exactly what the buyer wanted, received as expected, but "changed my mind" and/or, "found it cheaper elsewhere" both supersede and trump all other considerations concerning the validity of a return..

16 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Doesn't matter if the buyer read the leaves in his tea and they gave him a message to return it when 2 of the reasons as options for a return are, "found it cheaper elsewhere", and "changed my mind", These reasons bypass condition, representation, seller performance of any kind, good or bad, or any of the standard barometers of approval a buyer can or doesn't have for the item received. It might be exactly what the buyer wanted, received as expected, but "changed my mind" and/or, "found it cheaper elsewhere" both supersede and trump all other considerations concerning the validity of a return..

Funny you bring that up.  “Change my mind” is not a valid return reason if you have “no returns” selected on your listing.  It falls under buyer remorse which is not a valid reason for a return. 

See attached... 

49D456E9-3432-4E19-9B04-BC6AC06849D2.jpeg

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Funny you bring that up.  “Change my mind” is not a valid return reason if you have “no returns” selected on your listing.  It falls under buyer remorse which is not a valid reason for a return. 

See attached... 

Nice.

Always been against the 'no returns' but this is an excellent argument for that choice!  Now what about feedback-can they still retaliate with neg feedback?  

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

See attached... 

If "changed my mind" and "found it cheaper elsewhere" aren't valid and acceptable reasons for a buyer to pick from to open a case, why are they included in the menu of reasons for a buyer to choose from when opening a case? Is ebay being coy? Is it a test? If you choose either of those two reasons that ebay provides as choices, ebay will then send a message, "Ahaaaaaaa!!!!!! Got'cha!! That's what we thought, get lost, you bum". ? 

I have a hard time believing that to be the case and that ebay would provide choices, the choosing of two of them automatically disqualifying the person filing a case. Makes no sense.

5 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

If "changed my mind" and "found it cheaper elsewhere" aren't valid and acceptable reasons for a buyer to pick from to open a case, why are they included in the menu of reasons for a buyer to choose from when opening a case? Is ebay being coy? Is it a test? If you choose either of those two reasons that ebay provides as choices, ebay will then send a message, "Ahaaaaaaa!!!!!! Got'cha!! That's what we thought, get lost, you bum". ? 

I have a hard time believing that to be the case and that ebay would provide choices, the choosing of two of them automatically disqualifying the person filing a case. Makes no sense.

another weird one is if you pick 'wrong size' say when buying underwear, buyer pays return shipping.  If you choose 'wrong color' well then seller pays.

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I've done it. 

I have. 

p31579481.jpg&f=1

4 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Here is what I "think" it comes down to.   Do not list that you accept returns on eBay.   It gives the seller an extra layer of protection.