• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Curious about GPA Avengers 4 9.6 signed by Lee/Kirby

89 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Kramerica said:

It's business as usual at Kramerica Industries!

Darren the intern.jpg

-now lets throw this giant ball of oil out the window-

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
1 hour ago, kav said:

:idea: you could get a Sun whisperer!

I could use a little oomph! We're now under a tornado watch etc....... 

I guess I can rest easy now :foryou: seemingly the rain has stopped ^^ giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I guess I can rest easy now :foryou: seemingly the rain has stopped ^^ giphy.gif

If you get enough people to run around in circle in opposite direction, you can defuse a tornado.

4 hours ago, kav said:

Except a COA generally means "This item is absolutely fake"

What about Dynamic forces as I have a load of them plus Kirby and Lee signed comics by DF. I was told once on the forum that if I slabbed them I would get a green label is that true? (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, tv horror said:

What about Dynamic forces as I have a load of them plus Kirby and Lee signed comics by DF. I was told once on the forum that if I slabbed them I would get a green label is that true? (thumbsu

Not sure.

1 hour ago, kav said:

Not sure.

CGC doesn't authenticate signatures. The Dynamic Forces Kirbys were signed prior to the existence of CGC thus CGC could not have witnessed them because there wasn't a CGC when they were signed. The only signatures noted as authentic by CGC are the ones a CGC rep witnessed. This is like a public notary and not in the same realm of authentication. There's nothing to authenticate from that typical standpoint as since CGC witnessed, the question of an autographs authenticity is a moot point. CGC either saw it signed, and state that, or it does not get slabbed by CGC as a signed comic (by the artist/creator).

2500 or so items were delivered to Kirby's residence for his signature near the end of his life and picked up soon after. There's always been speculation that his wife, Roz, and not Jack proxy-signed a portion of them.

From a technical standpoint, although ill, Jack's signature appears to have suddenly gotten neater for that signing period, with less of a slant, absence of shakes, and blockier on these DF items than usual, an unusual thing as most signatures appear to deteriorate with signor's age or illness and not improve.

11 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

CGC doesn't authenticate signatures. The Dynamic Forces Kirbys were signed prior to the existence of CGC thus CGC could not have witnessed them because there wasn't a CGC when they were signed. The only signatures noted as authentic by CGC are the ones a CGC rep witnessed. This is like a public notary and not in the same realm of authentication. There's nothing to authenticate from that typical standpoint as since CGC witnessed, the question of an autographs authenticity is a moot point. CGC either saw it signed, and state that, or it does not get slabbed by CGC as a signed comic (by the artist/creator).

2500 or so items were delivered to Kirby's residence for his signature near the end of his life and picked up soon after. There's always been speculation that his wife, Roz, and not Jack proxy-signed a portion of them.

From a technical standpoint, although ill, Jack's signature appears to have suddenly gotten neater for that signing period, with less of a slant, absence of shakes, and blockier on these DF items than usual, an unusual thing as most signatures appear to deteriorate with signor's age or illness and not improve.

@glendgold would know more about this.  

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

Who 'dat? What's his longsuit? His nom de plume?

That dude is a Kirby historian and expert and visited Kirby many times if I remember correctly.  He can recognize the slightest stroke of Kirby's pencil and knows exactly when he stopped being able to even hold a pencil.   

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, kav said:

That dude is a Kirby historian and expert and visited Kirby many times.  He can recognize the slightest stroke of Kirby's pencil and knows exactly when he stopped being able to even hold a pencil.  He is much like Plato in recording the events of Socrates Kirby's life.

I know who he is. I just miss your stories, aside from Buzzetta, the greatest forum stories ever told, and I wanted to delight in your rendition of who he is!! (worship) As is usual, you didn't disappoint! :cloud9:

4 minutes ago, kav said:

That dude is a Kirby historian and expert and visited Kirby many times.  He can recognize the slightest stroke of Kirby's pencil and knows exactly when he stopped being able to even hold a pencil.  He is much like Plato in recording the events of Socrates Kirby's life.

Did he ever offer an opinion anywhere on the Dynamic Forces Kirby autographs? I'd be interested in seeing that if he did.

20 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Did he ever offer an opinion anywhere on the Dynamic Forces Kirby autographs? I'd be interested in seeing that if he did.

I think he has-if I remember he stated Roz must have signed those as Kirby couldnt hold a pencil at that point.  It could have been another batch not sure if it was DF dont hold me to it.

19 minutes ago, kav said:

I think he has-if I remember he stated Roz must have signed those as Kirby couldnt hold a pencil at that point.  It could have been another batch not sure if it was DF dont hold me to it.

He's correct. I don't know if he could or couldn't hold a pencil, whether or not he could is a moot point. It's not his signature, IMO. It's a secretarial rendition of his signature based on his style from a decade or more before, likely by Roz.