• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Curious about GPA Avengers 4 9.6 signed by Lee/Kirby

89 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Oh :sorry: @gpanalysis why say signed if:

Plus Stan Lee and Jack Kirby are in quotes lol :roflmao: 

If I did air quotes to say something was real in person to sell it to you, do you really think you'd be giving this a 2nd thought as to what I mean :shy: 

also @gpanalysis I have yet to use the service, but surely you note restored or qualified, why not conservation?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Oh :sorry: @gpanalysis why say signed if:

Plus Stan Lee and Jack Kirby are in quotes lol :roflmao: 

If I did air quotes to say something was real in person to sell it to you, do you really think you'd be giving this a 2nd thought as to what I mean :shy: 

Ok look the GPA blurb doesnt use quotes.  The slab has the quotes.  

1 minute ago, JollyComics said:

Why both signatures are on 16th page?  What was so special about 16th page?

Well its the only page immediately following the 15th page!!!

6 minutes ago, kav said:
10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I get what your saying, but read the label again, it falls under "conservation" followed by a colon that further explains the reasoning for the "conservation"....

I think he's referencing the GPA blurb not the slab verbage

@James J Johnson I also forgot about the "C" that represents "conservation", I think GPA has covered all their basis, but I keep putting my foot in my mouth so I'll take a chill pill and try to smile :) 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@James J Johnson I also forgot about the "C" that represents "conservation", I think GPA has covered all their basis, but I keep putting my foot in my mouth so I'll take a chill pill and try to smile :) 

AMADANTIUM strikes!!!!!!!!

9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

ya I get it now :sorry: I don't understand why gpa would mix it with a grey area..... if gpa would just put at least "conservation" next to it, it might help :foryou: 

Now, it's very possible that the book is actually double signed and that the signatures are authentic. But say that is the case, it's still unwitnessed and CGC will not and does not authenticate unwitnessed signatures. It's not that they can't. I'll bet that their grader have seen enough Kirbys and Lees to know when they're looking at the real thing as well as any authentication company personnel. I'm sure they have a better idea than 99.9% of the hobbyists as to when a Lee or Kirby has the right "vibe" and doesn't. But what makes CGC the best comic book related signature authenticators in the world, guaranteeing 100% that what you have slabbed with a yellow label is that they are not "authenticators" of signatures. They are witnesses. If they don't see it, it didn't happen, no matter how authentic it may look.

The line affirms and implies validity and authenticity to the signatures where CGC has not. Best way to explain it, which is why it stood out to me like that even though I wasn't looking for signed books!

Edited by James J Johnson

2 minutes ago, kav said:

AMADANTIUM strikes!!!!!!!!

Lol I mean I get the point and would like clarification form g pa 

It is confusing especially to a novice as myself who's never used GPA...

I was just thinking out loud which turned into a rantrant

But I agree for clarity

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Now, it's very possible that the book is actually double signed and that the signatures are authentic. But say that is the case, it's still unwitnessed and CGC will not and does not authenticate unwitnessed signatures. It's not that they can't. I'll bet that their grader have seen enough Kirbys and Lees to know when they're looking at the real thing as well as any authentication company personnel. I'm sure they have a better idea than 99.9% of the hobbyists as to when a Lee or Kirby has the right "vibe" and doesn't. But what makes CGC the best comic book related signature authenticators in the world, guaranteeing 100% that what you have slabbed with a yellow label is that they are not "authenticators" of signatures. They are witnesses. If they don't see it, it didn't happen, no matter how authentic it may look.

The line affirms and implies validity and authenticity to the signatures where CGC has not. Best way to explain it, which is why it stood out to me like that even though I wasn't looking for signed books!

I agree, as it conveys something the book and label does not, seemingly.

It could use some updating to the terminology....

Got to be better than these eBay and PayPal updates!

Lol not that it's an excuse to be snippy....

We had a storm recently, power out for half a day, trees that are dying that are now mostly on the curb...

Crimenie! I'm thinking up new words that I can't spell nor say haha

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol not that it's an excuse to be snippy....

We had a storm recently, power out for half a day, trees that are dying that are now mostly on the curb...

Crimenie! I'm thinking up new words that I can't spell nor say haha

you can chop up the downed trees with your AMADANTIUM claws

2 minutes ago, kav said:

you can chop up the downed trees with your AMADANTIUM claws

lol I tried :devil:

My neighbor does this for a living, got a spear of a tree through his roof in the kitchen :eek: but were done for a minute. At least he is a tree whisperer and told us which trees to start cutting down. 

There goes my shade :sorry: 

12 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Page 16 is just another story page. Doesn't seem to stand out as anything more special than the rest.

How many pages does the book have? Is page 16 the center? That would be my immediate guess, otherwise I have no idea. 

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol I tried :devil:

My neighbor does this for a living, got a spear of a tree through his roof in the kitchen :eek: but were done for a minute. At least he is a tree whisperer and told us which trees to start cutting down. 

There goes my shade :sorry: 

:idea: you could get a Sun whisperer!

20 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Regardless of anything related to the "signatures" the label states that the Conservation includes: cover cleaned" which IMO is the most important thing about the book that I don't see in GPA. My general feel is that even if we all knew 100% that the signatures were authentic we still have a book that's gone through the car wash.

I'm thinking purple/yellow hybrid? Signatures (probably) are real but the book is restored correct? I mean, does the label insinuate that a solvent was used in the cleaning? Because a a normal clean and press would get a blue grade right? And really, the fact that it has the signatures on page 16 and that 1 is in pen and the other is in marker seems to imply its legitimacy right? Or perhaps someone is trying to be sneaky KNOWING that we would think that. I shouldn't be this confused on a Sunday.

I think the label should say "Book contains signatures which may or may not be Stan Lee and Jack Kirby on Page 16 but our general feeling is that it's probably legit....possibly. Also, book has been cleaned/washed in a process that may/may not have involved a solvent. And a chicken."

5 minutes ago, Kramerica said:

Regardless of anything related to the "signatures" the label states that the Conservation includes: cover cleaned" which IMO is the most important thing about the book that I don't see in GPA. My general feel is that even if we all knew 100% that the signatures were authentic we still have a book that's gone through the car wash.

I'm thinking purple/yellow hybrid? Signatures (probably) are real but the book is restored correct? I mean, does the label insinuate that a solvent was used in the cleaning? Because a a normal clean and press would get a blue grade right? And really, the fact that it has the signatures on page 16 and that 1 is in pen and the other is in marker seems to imply its legitimacy right? Or perhaps someone is trying to be sneaky KNOWING that we would think that. I shouldn't be this confused on a Sunday.

I think the label should say "Book contains signatures which may or may not be Stan Lee and Jack Kirby on Page 16 but our general feeling is that it's probably legit....possibly. Also, book has been cleaned/washed in a process that may/may not have involved a solvent. And a chicken."

:roflmao:

And :foryou: for my quick responses :sorry:@James J Johnson I was going 100 miles an hour! :eek:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

18 minutes ago, Kramerica said: